No announcement yet.

Pain has taken my life over..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joseph, massages (full body) help me with pain, function, flexibility, etc. I've heard of the blood clot issue too (during the acute phase of my injury) but don't much credence in it now. Although everyone is different. You may want a second opinion other than the one you've received.

This is probably a good question for SCI Nurse.

Another recommendation that I like is acupuncture which for me is useful.

Good luck.

Onward and Upward!

Comment

Joseph,

Ask Dr. Young and the Nurses about massage below the level of injury.
      Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Will do boys,

Hey Stiggy you getting this?Or have you tried this already?

Comment

Hey Joseph,Hope your son is doing better..I know im not much help right now due to my own problems..spent this morning in the ER so nothing new to report.Pain is still out of control and its becoming very hard to live with me.Joseph I dont undertand what you mean Did I try This..Well thats about all.I want to wish all CareCure Family members a Happy Thanksgving!
          God Bless Stiggy [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
          "The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Comment

I was talking about the massage therapy or the myal facial therapy. Have you done either or both. Justin is doing great, really.But he would do even better when we get him some massage therapy again.As an A/b I had major back surgery in april and the 4weeks before the surgery I was in unbelievable pain. On pain killers all the time and was not easy to live with.Thats a lousy thing to live with where there is no end in sight. You've got to try every avenue until something or someone helps. Don't you give up I know you won't. You couldn't be in a better internet community to help you find some answers.How long has thois been since this pain started.

Comment

Stiggy...

Hope you are feeling better by now!

Take care and have a wonderful Thanksgiving yourself!

Teena

Comment

Glad to here your son is doing better Joseph..I was working on a 3 story house and I was on the 3rd floor when part of the trim board gave way..The rest is History!Its been 2 years an my pain is very bad at times.I had the worst night of my life on monday night so that morning I could not even move the pain was so bad.I cant even begain to tell you how bad it was Joseph.That morning my wife called the Hospital and wanted me to come in so my wife an my mom some how got me in the van and off we went.When we got there I was so messed up the er doctor gave me a shot and it helped a little.They took xrays an found problems with the rods in my back..He called my doctor and had a long talk with him about pain management.Dec.20 im off to UofM so I think ill be going back in the hospital to maybe get them removed.I understand Joseph when you say that life is hard when your in so much pain.Its been a long an hard road an my heart goes out to all that deal with pain on a day to day basis.I have hope an faith that someday Ill find my balance in Life and god will give me peace again.
                I want to Wish you all a safe an Happy Thanksgiving..
                "The Meaning of things lies not in things themselves,but in our attitude towards them"

Comment

Stiggy...

At least now you know part of what is causing some of your pain!! That's a good start! At least you are headed in the right direction!

Keep hanging in there, ok?

God bless...

Teena

Comment

I know I don't have to tell you,

Ziggy, but you know yourself the best and you and your family in many ways are the best doctors. You stay on these doctors until they find what the problems are and give you some remedy. I'm mean ride them like a horse until its broken and responsive. You can't let them write you off.Sometimes they protect each other and lose perspective on their patents. So you go and know that We are with you. And more then us God is with you too!"Peace be with you and with your Spirit".

Comment

Hang in there!

Hi Stiggy,

I'm so glad you're on the road to finding out what is causing your pain! I just wanted to let you know that my daughter had her rods removed at U of M a year ago this past May. It's a good hospital, and I'm confident that they will take good care of you. If you have any questions about the rod removal, feel free to ask!

Take care,
                      Vicky [img]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
                      "God warns us not to love any earthly thing above Himself, and yet He sets in a mother's heart such a fierce passion for her babes that I do not comprehend how He can test us so."
                      ~Geraldine Brooks, "Year of Wonders"

"Be kind...for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
                      ~Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Hello Stiggy

There are some people good in energy work with their hands or otherwise.
                        (But not all who think they are, might be really.)
                        If finding one who is good, maybe (s)he could try if "evening out" energies makes it a bit better.

What one wrote about massage, did not sound bad either.

... Some pains just take their time. When I had a concussion, headaches in the damaged region kept coming back for over a year on and off. I noticed if the damaged region was strained more, than more. So, although it was not feeling good, it was also informative, and good to orient towards feeling better.
                        I do not know how this is with you. But maybe try with a good energies healer. Some of the Lakota healers might be able to help, too? )But I do not know, I live in Europe.)

Sometimes seeing a funny film can distract.

I hope you heal well. (Mental hug ... :-))

Comment

Stiggy, how has your pain been lately?

I just finished reading your thread on pain taking over your life. I know where your coming from...I was injured about five years ago and have since yet to have a pain free day. Like many other people in this forumI've tried just about everything and will keep trying until I find a solution. The day I stop looking for answers is the day I'll give up hope, and that's not an option. Don't give up hope. It sounds like your just at the beginning of trying different meds and therapies, you just need to find a doctor with a little sympathy...then you can learn together how to beat this.

Anyway, let us know how your doing and what questions you need answering. with all the experience in this community we can really help each other and come out on top of this evil.

GOD BLESS
                          "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
                          Isaiah 40:29-31

Comment

You may feel differently after 20 years, if things keep getting worse and you don't find an effective treatment. [img]/forum/images/smilies/frown.gif[/img]
                            Alan

Comment

How have you lasted through 20 years of this %*@#? I don't know how I'm going to last through another week let alone 15 more years [img]/forum/images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]. Did you ever think it was going to last this long? Are there any things you wish you knewwhen you are at my stage that you can pass along?

You're my hero if this thing hasn't killed you after 20 years!
                              "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will RUN and not grow weary, they will WALK and not be faint."
                              Isaiah 40:29-31

Comment

Unfortunately, I haven't lasted very well. The more intense the pains have gotten over the years, the more homebound, dependent (and I'm a C-5 complete, so I wasn't exactly super-independent before), and pissed off I've become. I'm still kicking because I don't have another option, and, even if I did, I really don't want to euthanize myself (though the thought of going to sleep one night and not waking up is a constant one.)

Number one advice is find a pain doc who believes what you tell him/her, and is willing to try anything. I've given up on pain docs - the ones I didn't dump gave up on me - but my GP, who's been my doctor for over 25 years, is willing to try almost anything I suggest (and I get a lot of ideas from pain newsgroups, mailing lists, and websites.) I've usually had to stop meds due to side effects before they came close to therapeutic dose levels, and others just didn't help. You'll probably need a medication cocktail, as opposed to just one drug. Everyone is different, so don't let my experience stop you from trying various meds. Unless your pain is in a fairly small, localized area (say one leg), a spinal cord stimulator probably won't help, and, in any case, it has to be placed above your injury - if it can't get past the injury site (due to scarring or whatever), forget it. Intrathecal pumps are worth checking out, if oral meds don't help, or you can't take enough, but central pain often doesn't respond to opiates, no matter the dose. Some people try deep brain stimulation, but my brain is off-limits - besides my hair, it's all I have left that sort of works, and such stimulation often is ineffective, or only works for a short time. I refuse to allow anyone to perform destructive surgery on me - no cordotomy or dorsal root entry zone (DREZ) procedures.

Check out MGH's www.braintalk.org forums, www.pain.com, and this forum's moderator's site, among others. I wish you better luck than I've had.
                                Alan

Comment

Working...
                                X