Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oxycodone overall weakness

Hey all,

I don't take opioids very often for pain, however I do notice an interesting and unfortunate side effect when I do.

To preface this, C5 incomplete. Ability to stand, walk short distances, very good dexterity in my left fingers / hand although not very strong with a grip.

That said, every so often I will take Oxycodone for very intense back and neck pain that other less potent over the counter meds don't seem to help with at all.

One of the major side effects I am getting from this is overall body weakness. Standing up becomes difficult. Walking and taking steps becomes almost impossible. Even my fingers become so weak it becomes hard to make a fist and even open my hand and extend my fingers.

I'm wondering if anyone else notices this? Is this a nerve issue from the meds or a muscle weakness issue? It will wear off after a couple of hours and everything will come back to "normal". But during that time it is extremely frustrating.

Loss of strength has been rarely reported with this drug. I would recommend you discuss this with the physician who prescribed it and see if another opioid can be used instead. Also ask the physician to file an adverse drug side effect report with the FDA. See this report from the Mayo Clinic:

https://www.mayoclinic.org/drugs-sup...s/drg-20074193

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Are you taking any other drugs? I wonder if there are interactions happening

Comment

Wow I forgot I wrote this already. Thanks for the responses. I'm not really taking any other drugs. Extremely low dose baclofen. That's about it.

But yeah the oxys make me so weak I can barely move. Not that I'm a gymnast without them at this point

I tried other opioids. I find them too weak when the pain gets that intense. Luckily I don't have to use it very often.

Comment

Working...
        X