Cortisone shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cortisone shots

I've read several posts from people saying too many cortisone shot for should problems ended up making things worse. I've been getting a shot every 4 months for the last year. This is considered ok by the ortho dr. Is this too many. They sure seem to help for a while.

What are the shots for?

Comment

My doctor said one shot every three months. But he also said we can do more if necessary. That's probably because I have so much scar tissue. But I doubt he'd say the same thing to someone with less scar tissue. Needs vary from person to person and even for the same person needs vary from body part to body part and over time. I used to get cortisone injections in one shoulder every three months with great improvements. I tried cortisone injections in the other shoulder without any benefit and only more pain. Once I got past a certain point I stopped taking them totally. The objective for me was to get the pain to a tolerable level and then take it from there with PT.

Comment

Had the shots in the late '80's and '90's when I was heavy into sports. Eventually started getting full thickness tears and biceps torn off the longheads along with some arthritis. Shoulders are shot now and rely mostly on the ZX1 and manual chair. Where I once could benchpress 360lbs. up to my 60th b'day, I now need help with transfers. I still handcycle to keep the shoulders in as good a shape as they can be considering the damage though I use a power assist. I get a massage once or twice a week and chiropractory once a week. I also have a trainer who thinks outside the box I work with in the gym once a week. Just light weights now.

Take it easy on the shots; get massage and continue working out in the gym or use those stretchy bands. Eventually the shoulders are going to go no matter what. I found, thru the years, those that didn't do anything thinking it would save the shoulders actually lost function quicker than we jocks who pushed it to the hilt. I'm 48 years post injury so no complaints. Back in the early days we usually didn't live this long so worn out shoulders weren't really considered.
        Last edited by Patrick Madsen; 5 Jul 2021, 12:22 PM.

Comment

I don't know if I agree with the pushing it to the hilt. I believe in being active and working hard but pushing it to the hilt has left me injured many time. I've backed off, I'm 67 C5/6 44yrs post and still living independently.

I've avoided the shots for years but the tendonitis, partial tears and arthritis has been giving me hell for the last couple of years. I can't even take any NSAIDS right now because of a stomach problem. Not sure I trust every 4 month, I would like too. Maybe I'll try to stretch is to 6 or at least 5 months.

thanks for the replies

Comment

Working...
          X