Pain management using psychedelics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pain management using psychedelics?

Like many on this site, I suffer from nerve pain and the ongoing frustrations related to trying to manage it. I have a pain pump and have gone through years of trying various medications and the whole guinea pig dance. A few years back I started working with bollefen to learn how to use meditation to better control pain. The meditation has helped as much, if not more than some of the medication. However, I still have difficulty managing the pain.

After doing quite a lot of research, I decided to start experimenting with psychedelics (psilocybin). My goal is to combine psychedelic journeys with what I’ve learned about meditation to hopefully improve my ability to manage pain. I’ve taken two trips so far but most definitely consider myself a beginner.

My question, are there any others experimenting with psychedelics to manage pain? If so, would you mind sharing anything that you think might be helpful?
    Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

C-3 incomplete, continuous pain level 2 minimum up to 6 or 7 at times.

I smoke a small amount of pot, mostly at night. It helps me sleep and makes TV more entertaining. Basically it distracts from the pain. Occasionally I'll do it in the daytime as needed.

I was taking Valium, Baclofin, & Methocarbimol for a while but when THC showed up in pee test, they cut me off Valium. So, I stopped pot to get Valium which has little to no effect on my function-ability but helped a lot with the pain, anxiety, pain loop.

I quit Valium and all other pain meds (except very small dose Gabapintin). Nowadays, pot is my go to pain med but due to it's effects on function-ability, I restrict it to home only. It's not legal (yet) in my state, which makes acquiring it a hassle. Also the strain varies from each batch so effects are different when I replenish my small stash. 1/4 oz will last me for 5 - 8 months depending on strain.
    Since I live alone, I can't take anything that requires an assistant/monitor to keep me safe. Pot is as far as I'll go concerning outside the norm box of meds.

I'm not advocating breaking the law, nor am I a medical pro. My experience is what I'm sharing and I'm not giving advice for you to follow.
    Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
    Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

The legal status of marijuana and psychedelics is quite frustrating. The ridiculous laws have prevented trials that might indicate where they are helpful. These seem to be changing. But, it's a slow process. Many of us aren't looking for party drugs. Just trying to find the best ways to make it through the day.

I appreciate the feedback gearhead.
      Jason

C5/6 Complete - water skiing accident 1994.

Comment

Originally posted by jeft View Post
        The legal status of marijuana and psychedelics is quite frustrating. The ridiculous laws have prevented trials that might indicate where they are helpful. These seem to be changing. But, it's a slow process. Many of us aren't looking for party drugs. Just trying to find the best ways to make it through the day.

I appreciate the feedback gearhead.
        Yea, it seems "they" would rather opium be the solution instead of a historically proven THC. When regulated properly, different strains can be applied to patients needs. Supposedly in Feb 2021, Alabama congress can vote on medical pot. It's a bright red state in the bible belt so we'll see. If Covid hadn't occurred, it was to be on the recent voter ballot. That's the excuse I was given. More kicking the can down the road.
        Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway
        Steve Mcqueen (Mr Cool)

Comment

So happy to have survived prohibition. I can now legally provide for myself here in Arizona. I am no longer living in fear because I grow a plant.

Comment

• jeft
            jeft commented
            Editing a comment
            I currently worry about the prohibition of psychedelics to an extent. I grow them for my personal use and don't sell them. So, hopefully low risk.

Well all drugs are now legal in Oregon, and all psychedelics are legal in Oakland, CA., so whom knows what the future may have in store...

Comment

Working...
          X