Synvisc for arthritic shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Synvisc for arthritic shoulder pain

During my last appointment with my orthopedic surgeon, we discussed Synvisc for arthritis. He said that the FDA has approved it for knees, but not (yet) for shoulders. He even offered to inject it if I obtained some. I started researching it and there are sources for it, but one can't purchase it unless one is in the medical profession.

Has anyone tried it for any type of arthritis?

Been getting it for years..... i have severe osteoarthritis in my rt hip...... it is $$$$ expensive 500.00 for my hip but my insurance pays me back. helps for 3 to 6 to 12 mths different everytime.

Comment

My Dad's doctors (ortho and physiatrist) have both offered to inject it, but my Dad hasn't tried it. Honestly, he probably should. Of course, no one can give him any reasonable data as to whether it might help, so he got discouraged since it isn't cheap, and has forgotten about it. He has also worried about how much time you should probably lay off using your shoulder if you want an injection to work well. No one really knows this. My Dad walks some with crutches and uses his shoulders a lot with transfers, obviously.

It is bizarre that your ortho is asking you to ?obtain it on your own. Maybe double check with him - you may have misunderstood. It is usually obtained by the doctor directly and injected sterile into your joint. He can order it - you just may have to pay his clinic directly for it. Or ask him - how do I get this? If he doesn't know, then he hasn't injected it into other folks before and maybe that means he's not the right doctor to do it?

My Dad's doctors both said they would obtain it and inject it no problem. One (the physiatrist - who is a sports medicine physiatrist who treats folks with disability at a rehab hospital) even said he would try to appeal to the insurance company to pay for it, and was successful in appealing insurance for another SCI patient in the past (also a shoulder injection). Most ortho docs, to be honest, would not likely be very helpful in taking the time to appeal. Although you could always write an appeal, listing all of the treatments you had tried and failed, mention how essential shoulder function is for your daily life and health, how the treatment is medically necessary and could help save the health insurance money in the long run (avoid shoulder surgery and long and expensive rehab inpatient and outpatient course!). Ortho docs make so much money doing surgeries they can't be bothered to help with a lot of these smaller procedures/appeal requests, but you could at least ask the doctor if he can document in the chart that it is medically necessary and ask if his "team" could write a letter on your behalf. In fact, my Dad's ortho doesn't even take the time to do his injections. The nurse practitioner that works with him does them.

Comment

Working...
      X