Meditation and pain updated information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meditation and pain updated information

This is an excerpt from my soon to be released book. There is significant scientific evidence that a mindfulness meditation practice impacts pain and our perception of pain.

Pain

While mindfulness and meditation do not make chronic pain disappear, it is becoming clearer how they help. Simply put, you can learn skills that will transform your relationship with your pain.

The first, focused attention, is where you learn to pay attention to your breath. As thoughts or sensations arise, you acknowledge them, let them go and return to your breath. This alone allows you to look at sensations of pain and thoughts as temporary, fleeting events.

Vipassana, insight mindfulness meditation, teaches you to suspend any judgment or even evaluation of thoughts, sensory input or emotions. You will learn to look at these events with curiosity rather than appraisal.

Combined, these techniques offer a way to disentangle from the experience of pain, both sensory and the mental impact. Think of it as awareness without the overlay of your thoughts.

Scientists have also learned that the brains of meditators respond differently to pain. During a pain episode there is decreased activity in regions involved in emotion, memory and appraisal, all part of the brain’s pain perception.

Meditation’s effect on pain is not a placebo. In a 2015 study by scientists at Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center using a two-pronged approach – pain ratings and brain imaging – it was proven that mindfulness meditation utilizes a different neural pathway, and with greater effectiveness than placebo.

The result? If you practice mindful meditation you will experience fewer limitations because of pain, the perceived severity of your pain reduces, and you will enjoy and participate in life even in the presence of pain. Your pain will still be there. It will be the suffering that changes, or in many cases, disappears.

Worth looking into, it changed my life -ket

Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
    don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Good stuff! Couldn’t agree more.

Comment

Awesome. I remember 'back in the day', having some heated exchanges with you and others (when I was using my old DaleB account...I think I'll merge that history into Oddity one day soon) about the value of life and coping with this SCI bullshit. I can't say how awesome it is to read your stuff now and how far it's developed in a positive direction. It's quite fantastic. It's a terrific and powerful testament to your approach to coping.
      "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments

Comment

that's GREAT, but where are the PHOTOS?
        you are missed!
        69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

Without being melodramatic but I've died 4 times since Dec 2017 1 in 17, twice in 2018 and once in 2019 4 major surgeries and months in rehab, I am only now really doing well. Almost never here on CC, only occasionally on FB and minimal photography. all is well now and I'll try to do more.
          Kindly,

The Ketamine Kitty

All the tears, all the pain, all the rage through the night (apolgies to the rewrite) RR

Next time I die make sure I'm gone,
          don't leave 'em nothing to work on JT

And I ain't nothin but a dream JM

Comment

great news
            69yo male T12 complete since 1995
            NW NJ

Comment

Working...
            X