Marijuana-wanting to try but I'm a complete novice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marijuana-wanting to try but I'm a complete novice

I have read through some of the posts on marijuana and have come out more confused sometimes. I would like to start experimenting with marijuana. I am a C-5 quadriplegic of 25 years hoping that it will help with pain and spasticity. I would like to approach it as scientifically as possible. That is to say, treat it like any other drug, starting with the minimum dose possible, keeping track of the side effects closely and working my way up to see how much, what strain, and what ways of taking it help me versus the side effects.
    My doctors are not giving me much guidance here. The doctor currently will not write for medical marijuana because I do take narcotic painkillers and they say my state will not let them write for both. But I cannot stop taking the narcotics until I know how the marijuana affects pain. They said go to the marijuana dispensary tell them what you need it for and they will provide guidance about use or buy it illegally and see what helps. Except right now you can't go in and ask questions and getting it illegally from a friend doesn't seem like a great way to go either.

*Spasticity
    1. The majority is in my legs and my torso below my rib cage.

They can be quite strong and I currently take baclofen and a low dose of Klonopin.

*Pain comes in 3 forms
    1. Neuropathy/neurogenic pain/whatever you want to call the burning/pins and needles/crushing/stabbing pain in my extremities, abdomen, and back
    2. Muscle/joint pain in my back, shoulders etc.
    3. The spasticity itself, is painful

I started out trying all the typical meds for these, certain antidepressants, gabapentin, etc. Currently I take narcotic painkillers for these. It's worth noting that these painkillers also help reduce my spasticity. I am very disciplined with all my meds and I've always tried very hard to maintain the minimum dose. I don't drink and I don't smoke. The general goal is to see if marijuana is more effective than either the anti-spasticity meds or the painkillers or both with fewer side effects.

I'm 47 and tried marijuana once a year ago. 1st time since I was 22. It did in fact help a lot with pain and spasms. It was just something another quad was smoking recreationally and finally decided to accept the offer. So it also got me high. I'd prefer to find something that keeps the high to as little as possible.

Figured it was best to get some first-hand accounts from people that have tried medical marijuana. I'm a relative novice at this point and there are so many options, strains, different ways to take it… I get a little lost. So recommendations of specific strains, names that you have tried etc. would be exceptionally helpful. Also ways you've chosen to ingest, how quickly it starts helping. For example right now vaping sounds like the best way to control the dose and get the quickest effect, but embarrassingly I don't even know what I need to buy to vape (meaning the right equipment). I have acquaintances that put marijuana oil in a vape device and use it that way. And I wonder what a effects vaping would have on my lungs. It is vaping marijuana oil as bad as smoking? Do I get tar build up and I kind of stuff? And, like I said what do I even need to buy to do this. Also interested in bad experiences. Again, not looking to get high or have a party here… Just looking to see if it's a more effective potential medication.
    Thanks

Is whoever is writing the prescription for your opioids on board with you using marijuana? Often a pain contract will specify instant termination if you fail a drug screen, whether or not you are using it legally. It would be a shame to get caught by surprise by something like that.

Comment

Marijuana doesn't relieve my pain nor reduce my spasticity.
      Last edited by smity50; 04-13-2020, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Whatever you do, don't start with ingestibles - their THC content is hard to control and you never know what you're really getting. And heed funklab's warning about losing your opioid prescription if you fail a drug screen!
        MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Bonnette is correct about edibles being hard to control but also thc is 10 times stronger when eaten and metabolized by the liver.
          Last edited by smity50; 04-09-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by funklab View Post
            Is whoever is writing the prescription for your opioids on board with you using marijuana? Often a pain contract will specify instant termination if you fail a drug screen, whether or not you are using it legally. It would be a shame to get caught by surprise by something like that.
            They don't drug screen me. However they said that if it did ever come to that, that i should just tell them and they would give me a pass on the drug screen that day and do it another day.

Comment

Originally posted by wchair View Post

They don't drug screen me. However they said that if it did ever come to that, that i should just tell them and they would give me a pass on the drug screen that day and do it another day.
              Seems like you’re willing to risk it.

FYI marijuana can stay in your system over a month if you’re a regular user.

Comment

I would like to give it a try. I need to know best way to take (I do not want to use edibles). Best kind to try to avoid high.

Comment

wchair:
                  I'm C5 too, and have used marijuana prior to and post injury (2000). I have the same issues with spasticity, neuropathic and muscle - joint pain, and went through a period of chemotherapy and radiation treatment. I've also been prescribed a variety of medications, all of which you mention.
                  I can say that, for myself, marijuana is an effective anxiolytic, but relatively ineffective alleviating pain and does nothing to reduce my spasticity. It is not a panacea for the ills we contend with, but an adjunct to the variety of methods that will help (other meds, exercise, pressure relief, massage, distractions, etc.,etc).
                  Cannabis is legal in Canada, and I buy mine from on a government website. I use 10.00 mg THC edible chocolate, and about 1/3 of a normal joint, smoked in small amounts, while I'm in my chair. Smoking it gives an almost immediate effect, while the chocolate takes 1-2 hours to feel. I try to avoid smoking more because of potential lung damage and tried vaping but didn't like the taste. It doesn't have an hallucinogenic effect on me, and larger mg amounts don't either. There's science still to do on the efficacy of cannabis, and a lot of testimony is anecdotal, but an understanding of THC and CBD, Indica and Sativa, and suggested mg dosages is important.

Comment

Thank you for your replies. Based on my recent experience a year ago, I'm quite certain it will help me unless it was just one time and I got lucky. It was hitting a point at night where a lot of my meds start to wear off a little and I was still out and about. Took a puff from a friends vape device (don't even know what it was, but it didn't produce that giant cloud that you usually see around vape. 20 minutes later the burning that it started to crop up in my legs and hands lessened a lot. And then the pain in my back, both neurogenic and muscle dissipated. I went from a position of needing to go home because things were starting to hurt to a position where I could stay out quite a bit longer. Of course, as I said eventually I wound up pretty high.
                    They're making my narcotics more and more difficult to get (I manage things carefully and follow the rules and still feel like a criminal sometimes). I spent 3 days on the phone last month because they just blanket refused to prescribe one of my drugs. No questions, no comments. I had to call to find out why. They said my morphine equivalent dose is too high. I had to pull up the chart, calculate it myself(I wasn't even halfway to the max equivalent), call them back and took them another 3 days to figure out why their calculations were wrong. I am afraid it will hit a point where I will have no choice but to lower my narcotics dose if not eliminate entirely. Between the government legislating it out of existence, the doctors being afraid to prescribe, the pharmacists refusing to fill (one of the pharmacies right on Florida will not fill maintenance narcotics). So before it hits that point I'd really like to see of marijuana can help. I can get it quite easily. Just don't know where to start. I think edibles are a no go because of my other oral medications. If vaping kicks into strong, I'll at least know it quickly and can adjust, but if inedible kicks into strong 3 hours later I won't be able to adjust as easily.

Comment

Be very thoughtful before smoking anything during this pandemic. Even one toke messes with my lungs for 3 to 4 days, and covid-19 endangers us by attacking the lungs. Edibles are not as satisfying to me, but that is what I use.

Comment

I hope it will help to alleviate some of the pain and discomfort you feel. Smoking would provide the flexibility to use it quickly. If you can find it, oils (taken orally) are an alternative. They're available in nifty sprays, but personally, I think it tastes like gym sock juice. I generally use a sativa dominant strain (THC 18-28%, which is high) to smoke, but am experimenting with greater CBD content.
                        The frustrations you have faced obtaining opioids is deplorable. They are, bar none, the most effective pain relievers I've ever tried (I was prescribed Endocet 10mg / day). The intransigence you refer to from government and the medical community is another obstacle we could forgo. But hey, many jurisdictions also can't see the way to legalize herb to allow easier, reliable and safe access.

Comment

Originally posted by Tetracyclone View Post
                          Be very thoughtful before smoking anything during this pandemic. Even one toke messes with my lungs for 3 to 4 days, and covid-19 endangers us by attacking the lungs. Edibles are not as satisfying to me, but that is what I use.
                          Noted. This is something that is worried me a bit too

Comment

Originally posted by sds1500 View Post
                            I hope it will help to alleviate some of the pain and discomfort you feel. Smoking would provide the flexibility to use it quickly. If you can find it, oils (taken orally) are an alternative. They're available in nifty sprays, but personally, I think it tastes like gym sock juice. I generally use a sativa dominant strain (THC 18-28%, which is high) to smoke, but am experimenting with greater CBD content.
                            The frustrations you have faced obtaining opioids is deplorable. They are, bar none, the most effective pain relievers I've ever tried (I was prescribed Endocet 10mg / day). The intransigence you refer to from government and the medical community is another obstacle we could forgo. But hey, many jurisdictions also can't see the way to legalize herb to allow easier, reliable and safe access.
                            Thanks for the understanding and do the droplets and the sprays work any different than the edibles? That is to say is it easier to control dosage and do they start to help faster?

Comment

Eat it for the best effect on the body. Smoking is more mental and less physical. First time you eat it you should be with others or at least in bed in case you eat too much and can't move.

Comment

Working...
                              X