Thinking of stopping pain medication all together

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of stopping pain medication all together

I have been on pain medications since my accident C-5 1999. The pros is that it gave me a quality of life that made me able to work and raise my son.
    The cons wow where to start. Insurance issues, cost,of premiums, copay's, always a medication in the news being abused by people, prior auths, Dr appointments, etc.
    I am at the point of just stopping due to doctors quoting the CDC guidelines making it so difficult for doctors and patients. Over the years I have switched medication when they made the news cycle. This last one was Fentanyl so I switched to long lasting Morphine yes another switch.

It is bad enough I had a life changing accident that left me paralyzed though the fight in me is gone. I just had a hospital stay due to a burn. During my stay I received no additional medication for my burns or surgery. When telling them how bad it hurt I received my breakthrough medication that I was on at home. Yes my home medication for breakthrough pain though nothing additional. You would think I was explaining my daily medications in a different language. Just because it was written as needed and I took it rarely it was not going to be adequate for burns and surgery. After my surgery the pain was unreal and a few hours later I had severe medical issues from the pain being so bad. One doctor commented that if they got the pain under control you may not have cardio issues.
    I dont want to mention the hospital though 2 weeks with no pain control left me wondering what does the future hold? I dont know what went wrong. To many doctors looking at my chart and not understanding previous surgeries and current medications? Did I slip through the cracks? I do know I will not never go through another surgery like that again so do I give up on pain medication now or take the chance that hopefully I wont ever need surgery again? I prefer not taking any medication and generally will not ask and prefer not to take anything until really needed. Though when I ask you should know it is bad and I need it. I never took a aspirin until my accident though that is what it was a accident. I have yet to find anything enjoyable about any medication. Should I stop even knowing that will leave me with other issues. For me when the pain increases the spasms, tone and sleep are terrible leaving me mostly at home. With the medication I just did a 2 mile hike the day before my birthday to the top of a beautiful mountain. Keep in mind it took me 3 hours for a hike my son would of done in 30 min though that is the difference in quality of life the medication has.
    So do the pros outweigh the cons?

are you really 107 yoa?
    69yo male T12 complete since 1995
    NW NJ

Comment

107 ?? DOB 69 accident 1999

Not sure what you were saying.

Comment

jws1217's ActivityVisitor MessagesAbout MeFriends

Basic Information

Date of BirthJanuary 8, 1913 (107)About jws1217

Location:AlbanyOccupation:NysdocsInterests:Getting betterWhy did you join this forum?:To get and give info re: SCI

69yo male T12 complete since 1995
        NW NJ

Comment

I understand what you are saying. This thing about opioid crisis has left me fearful that If I get something like painful cancer, that if I have to have surgery, that if I fall and hurt myself there will be no pain meds given. Fortunately my injuries missed the pain circuits so I don't need pain meds. I'm afraid doctors will prevent patients who need meds from having the meds all because of the "opioid crisis"

Comment

I know how you feel kinda. I get meds but not enouph and they aren’t strong enough as I been taking the same meds for years and my body is getting used to them but with everything the doctors are scared to even give me or anyone anything even with my injury I don’t ask for meds then it makes me look like an addict but I’m kinda stuck if I stop witch I’d love to not need meds but if I take nothing I am miserable to wear I csnt move and don’t want to do anything and with the meds I’m still kinda there as they don’t work as good but idk what to do how do you get the meds you actually need if I say the pain I’m really in the doctors always tell me so let’s get you off all meds... wtf that’s what you got out of me being in crazy pain to wear I can’t do anything without meds I mean I literally can’t do anything if I have no meds it’s miserable. What do you guys do to get doctors to understand your pain ? I’m a sci with a lot of other things so it’s not like I don’t have a valid reason so I get where your coming from and I just want to know what’s your guys best way to get them to understand also what meds do you take that help you. I’m on hydrocodone that’s it but they don’t work as good

Comment

Working...
            X