Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Opioids being taken away so pain will soon be back...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Opioids being taken away so pain will soon be back...

    Well my doctor informed me that they are going to be taking away the pain medication that has been making my life better. So because of this my guess is that i will be committing suicide in the next few months because I am not going back to the constant pain and misery that I experience without them. I guess first I will probably break the law and try to find them illegally, and then once I can't do that I will just end it. My life sucks bad enough with my pain well managed, without that it is absolute hell that is not worth living to me.

  • #2
    That has always been my fear is losing my vicodin. I get mine filled every 30 days even though I haven't used all of mine. i just keep saving mine. I have found some good relief with copiba essential oil from doterra. I take it in a capsule morning and night. Which has made it possible to reduce my need for pain meds down to about a 3rd of my prescription. Doterra has found People getting great results with it. Right now they cannot produce enough so they have to limit it one bottle a month.pm if you want more info.

    Comment


    • #3
      I hope that you do give it a few months before you end your life. Studies show that opioids cause a decrease in pain initially (for up to a couple weeks), then chronic pain returns to it's previous level except that it is much worse if you don't get the opioids. They also show that over the course of several months off of opioids pain tends to return to baseline (ie no worse than before opioids or while using opioids long term).

      If it's absolutely a deal breaker for you there is always a way to get opioids. Tell someone that you're a junkie and you want opioid maintenance therapy for addiction (not pain) and you can get put on methadone or buprenorphine. And if it is neurologic pain there are many nonopioid medications that are more effective than opioids.

      Comment


      • #4
        I just find another doctor that does spinal cord injury. You should not have any problem then. You need a Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Doctor. Never had a problem so far with DR. Gianna Rodriguez from U of M in Michigan. Not that I may not in the future but she a specialist for people like us.
        Art

        Comment


        • #5
          what kind of product of Doterra to you use for pain? Look at the website there is so many different products?
          Art

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Lavender lady View Post
            That has always been my fear is losing my vicodin. I get mine filled every 30 days even though I haven't used all of mine. i just keep saving mine. I have found some good relief with copiba essential oil from doterra. I take it in a capsule morning and night. Which has made it possible to reduce my need for pain meds down to about a 3rd of my prescription. Doterra has found People getting great results with it. Right now they cannot produce enough so they have to limit it one bottle a month.pm if you want more info.
            Wow, Vicodin wouldn't even begin to help with my pain. They would probably give me that without blinking an eye if it would do any good.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by funklab View Post
              I hope that you do give it a few months before you end your life. Studies show that opioids cause a decrease in pain initially (for up to a couple weeks), then chronic pain returns to it's previous level except that it is much worse if you don't get the opioids. They also show that over the course of several months off of opioids pain tends to return to baseline (ie no worse than before opioids or while using opioids long term).

              If it's absolutely a deal breaker for you there is always a way to get opioids. Tell someone that you're a junkie and you want opioid maintenance therapy for addiction (not pain) and you can get put on methadone or buprenorphine. And if it is neurologic pain there are many nonopioid medications that are more effective than opioids.
              Actually I have read elsewhere that you have yo be able to prove that you are an addict to get the methadone.

              Comment


              • #8
                I think that the biggest thing for me is that I have already gone through changing from one medication that worked well to another because a doctor got a wild hair up his ass that I shouldn't be taking what is working. It's just a power trip on their part playing god and making me suffer to make themselves think that they have a big dick. They seem to enjoy making me suffer for the sake of suffering and nothing more. Before all off this would have never wished anyone to have to suffer like I have. Now nothing would make me happier than to see them end up suffering from a similar injury and see just how quickly their tune would change when they were the ones being shit on. They are turning me into a heartless sadist sociopath.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nauticalmike View Post
                  Actually I have read elsewhere that you have yo be able to prove that you are an addict to get the methadone.
                  How would one "prove" this?

                  You can be addicted to pain pills. You can be addicted to your own prescriptions. There are plenty of junkies out there who run through two or three prescriptions of oxycodone (theirs, their grandmothers, their dead cousin-in-laws) and then buy more off the street. So it's not whether or not you have illegal drugs in your system.

                  Proving would seem to be entirely dependent on what the "addict" told his doctor.

                  Not that I'm advising any of that, like I said above the evidence shows that opioids don't improve chronic pain and often worsen it (over the long course) while adding the bonuses of constipation, chemical dependency and a shorter lifespan. That's why the government keeps cracking down on opioid prescribers.

                  In my state they just passed a new law outlawing opioid prescriptions of more than 5 days duration. Not sure if this applies to opioids for addiction or just for pain, but if it is just for pain it definitely reflects what the scientific data shows.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by funklab View Post
                    How would one "prove" this?

                    You can be addicted to pain pills. You can be addicted to your own prescriptions. There are plenty of junkies out there who run through two or three prescriptions of oxycodone (theirs, their grandmothers, their dead cousin-in-laws) and then buy more off the street. So it's not whether or not you have illegal drugs in your system.

                    Proving would seem to be entirely dependent on what the "addict" told his doctor.

                    Not that I'm advising any of that, like I said above the evidence shows that opioids don't improve chronic pain and often worsen it (over the long course) while adding the bonuses of constipation, chemical dependency and a shorter lifespan. That's why the government keeps cracking down on opioid prescribers.

                    In my state they just passed a new law outlawing opioid prescriptions of more than 5 days duration. Not sure if this applies to opioids for addiction or just for pain, but if it is just for pain it definitely reflects what the scientific data shows.
                    Needle tracks all owe you veins, arrive at your appointment with really high or really strung out from heroin.

                    Wow only 5 Days. You said that it shortens your lifespan, I have never heat that claim yet, do you recall where you heard it?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Heroin withdrawal or intoxication doesn't appear different than any other intoxication with opiates from the outside looking in. Also one can be strung out on heroin (or oxy, or hydrocodone or tramadol) and never inject it.

                      https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...s-are-soaring/

                      To be fair there's a bit of interpretation and speculation, but if you look at the massive amount of potential years of life lost with kids ODing in their teens and 20s, it's a pretty clear link that opioids are at least one of the factors driving a decreased life expectancy, and a big risk factor for developing an addiction to opioids is getting prescribed them in the first place... if you wanted to disagree with that statement you could probably find a good rationale, a lot of "does association equal causation" arguments would be valid.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by funklab View Post
                        I hope that you do give it a few months before you end your life. Studies show that opioids cause a decrease in pain initially (for up to a couple weeks), then chronic pain returns to it's previous level except that it is much worse if you don't get the opioids. They also show that over the course of several months off of opioids pain tends to return to baseline (ie no worse than before opioids or while using opioids long term).
                        This was absolutely true for me. I tried every medication available, including opioids, and was on them for four years after my SCI. I slowly got off of everything over about a 6 month span. While the withdrawls were terrible at first, eventually everything leveled out and I'm in the same amount of pain as I was on the meds. It has made a huge difference not having the mental/cognitive side effects. Busyness and distraction are the only things that help me deal with my pain.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Chronic pain hear for 24 years since T-10 sci. With the opiod epidemic nation wide they care cracking down on doctors big time. Very aggressive in Arizona everyone i know has been cut back. They cut my monthly dosage in half as well as all my other chair friends. I found another medication that helps but it's very hard and tricky to get prescribed. Adderral xr helps my pain tremendously. I went into the Doc informed him. I having problems with my memory focusing. I forget dates, birthdays, loose my phone my keys, or lock my keys in my car. He gave me a 4 page test then prescribed me adderral.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            "Mike", as another "Mike" I certainly understand your misery. Although I haven't contemplated suicide, I have asked the good Lord to take me at least once a week. Opiods (dilaudid) are the only treatment that has worked at all for me and I've tried everything. I'm currently pursuing medical marijuana; is it legal in your state?

                            But why is your doctor cutting you off of opiods? Sounds like he/she isn't following the "do no harm" oath. Have you tried another doctor? Post your state; I'm betting that one of us can give you a reference for a doctor.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              In my 10 plus years of dealing with chronic SCI related pain, opioids have been an effective, partial treatment. If I happen to forget a dose, which rarely occurs, my body lets me know within a few hours. I don’t know where this research comes from ( that says opioids are not good for chronic pain), but in my experience that’s not true. FYI, in my state, the new 5 day rule applies to acute pain patients, not chronic pain patients.
                              2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X