Why does nerve pain get worse at night?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does nerve pain get worse at night?

T6 complete, sharp stabbing nerve pain at injury level (chest and back) and burning 24-7 in butt/legs/feet. Regardless of my physical activity, my pain always gets worse at night. Doesn't make any sense. Its always really bad in the mornings as well, but I figured that's because I haven't moved all night. But I can be doing the same thing in the afternoon and at night and the pain is always worse from around 8-9 on. Any ideas?

Fatigue and deteriorating posture also posture, reclining can impact pain and as you point out the inactivity of sleep.

Have similar experiences.

ket

Comment

good question. it sure does though doesn't it?

Comment

If you are up and functioning during the day, distraction can be a good pain reliever. In bed, at night, you can't distract yourself against the pain...that is my experience.

All the best,
        GJ

Comment

gjnl; Could not say it any better !

Comment

I'm with ya brother, have no idea why, but it's there, I try to deal with it with aleve, mmj, even opioids tho not very often, it has to be a ten and nothing else works and I don't want to go to bed. Best of luck, know we are all on your side, for what good that does, just know it

Comment

agree with gjni- as the day winds up , it is just you and the barrage of neuropathic pain without distractions. I also think that the daily struggle of a gimp with SCI lowers one's tolerance to NP pain as the day wears on.
              Brad09 - nothing about neuropathic pain makes any sense.

My suggestion- go to bed earlier. This limits the hours of suffering. If you know you will be a basket case and a bundle of misery at 8 pm, plan your medication such as taking a as needed opiate or benzodiazapam or your dose of Lyrica/Neurontin 1 hour before the 'witching hour'. Consider an Ambien type medication if it is impossible to fall asleep with the burning.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to read the tea leaves in determining what flares NP pain. Is it the barometric pressure? Too much exercise? Not enough exercise? Alcohol, Coffee ?

I know that physical activity and exercise exacerbate neuropathy but I do it anyways.

For me, when I shut the lights out, I am left with the bombardment of neuropathic burning- this is a very demoralizing way to live and end each day. Try getting into bed before the meltdown occurs. Take medication before you hit 11.5 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Comment

Nerve pain patch

Try
                Originally posted by arndog View Post
                agree with gjni- as the day winds up , it is just you and the barrage of neuropathic pain without distractions. I also think that the daily struggle of a gimp with SCI lowers one's tolerance to NP pain as the day wears on.
                Brad09 - nothing about neuropathic pain makes any sense.

My suggestion- go to bed earlier. This limits the hours of suffering. If you know you will be a basket case and a bundle of misery at 8 pm, plan your medication such as taking a as needed opiate or benzodiazapam or your dose of Lyrica/Neurontin 1 hour before the 'witching hour'. Consider an Ambien type medication if it is impossible to fall asleep with the burning.

I wouldn't waste too much time trying to read the tea leaves in determining what flares NP pain. Is it the barometric pressure? Too much exercise? Not enough exercise? Alcohol, Coffee ?

I know that physical activity and exercise exacerbate neuropathy but I do it anyways.

For me, when I shut the lights out, I am left with the bombardment of neuropathic burning- this is a very demoralizing way to live and end each day. Try getting into bed before the meltdown occurs. Take medication before you hit 11.5 out of 10 on the pain scale.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell View Post
                  Try
                  What patch?

Comment

Count me in for worse at night. I'm started to dread going to bed. I never really had any issues with NP until 2012, then started burning, stabbing, etc. I've been hurt almost 35 years. I went to Craig and they did a barrage of tests and determine NP. So far I've held back on trying meds, but not sure how long I can go. I use to think bowels had something to do with it, but I'm not so sure now. I broke my tibia and had rod/screws last year and don't think that helped.

Comment

I find my worst pain is in the early mornings 2 or 3:00 AM until my next pill dosage at 7:00 AM. . I've been lucky lyrica has helped tame some of my nerve pain and valium to help me sleep and a antidepressant I'm able to get through most days and nights.. Without them I don't think I would last very long I remember those days they were pure hell some still are I only hope they find something for all of us SOON!
                      Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway. .(John Wayne)

Comment

My worst pain is when I'm conscious.
                        Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

you go alan. I can't bother with is it 9.9 9.5 10 WTF it is always f'ing agony

ket

Comment

The sensations are so damn crazy, not that I can actually find words to fully describe what they feel like. I'm sure we all know what that's like-frustrating as hell. As is the ongoing deterioration. And my concentration issues. I actually would like some kind of life, but I don't know what to do. I have almost no adaptive equipment beyond typing splints, and eating splint, neither of which I can put on by myself. With the continuing "hardening" of my back, and sticking and popping of my shoulder blades, plus the sensation of the shoulder blades and vertebrae ripping through my skin and tearing even more with movement, it gets more and more difficult to use my arms. I can't really exercise beyond just them around, because weight or resistance makes the sticking even worse. I really do hate this. I don't like needing caregivers constantly, because I can't do anything. I'm terrified of winding up in a Medicaid nursing home, but that is the future I see.

I'm sorry, I didn't want to depress you. I know you were a happy camper before you read this.

As for the pain level rating BS, I've always said 10, because that's how it felt to me. Pains control my life, and if they want to see me in bed trying to roll into a fetal position (which I can't do), and scream and cry (which for some unknown reason I don't do), I'll do it for the doctors if they want.

Best rating scale I ever heard was when a pain Dr. has me to compare what I felt to the worst pain I've ever had before. That worse pain was when I broke my wrist in half when I was 14 and fell out of a tree, said pain which was even worsened when the doctor in the ER yanked my arm to straighten it out of its Z shape. Many of these sensations are worse, one in particular being the bones through skin feeling, which is exactly what a compound fracture is, and my wrist wasn't even compound (no broken skin.)
                            Alan

Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

Comment

Originally posted by alan View Post
                              My worst pain is when I'm conscious.
                              Yes indeed! Laughter here now in spite of it.
                              Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
                              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X