No announcement yet.

marijuana for chronic pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't speak on the pill, but if he's going to try marijuana for pain, he would be better off smoking it than vaporizing it.

The chemical in marijuana which gives you the "head high" is THC. Another, CBD, is responsible for the body buzz. CBD's effects are what would help with pain.

The problem he would have is that THC burns at a much lower temperature than CBD. Vaporizers take advantage of this fact and only heat high enough to burn the THC. Thus, you don't get many effects of the CBDs. That's not to say you won't get any, but it very well may not be enough to rid himself of pain for any length of time.

Also, the type of marijuana affects this. There are two main types: Sativa and Indica. Sativas are more THC dominate, while Indicas are more CBD dominate. If you smoke a Sativa, you get more of a "functional" head high. If you smoke an Indica, you get the body buzz where you just want to sit around and laugh with your friends.

There are countless numbers of strains of Sativas and Indicas, each with a different percentage of THC/CBD in them.

All of those things would need to be taken into consideration if you were going to give it marijuana a legitimate chance. If you're interested, you can visit Leafly -- a website which describes and rates the medicinal attributes of differet strains of marijuana. You can search by symptom, and also read reviews.

Good luck to your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by User Name View Post
      ...Sativas are more THC dominate, while Indicas are more CBD dominate. If you smoke a Sativa, you get more of a "functional" head high. If you smoke an Indica, you get the body buzz where you just want to sit around and laugh with your friends....

this is not true. think about it, CBD is non-psychoactive and THC is. CBD doesn't get you high and imo this is the reason the conservative public can accept Medical Cannabis bills that only allow cbd meds.

I would also advocate for a non-smoked method of ingestion, vaping included.

Comment

http://cbdcrew.org/what-is-cbd/

there are many links to reports on the various medicinal compounds in Cannabis.

Comment

*Edit: Rick, we are in agreement that CBDs would help him the most. I don't want to derail the thread.
          Last edited by User Name; 13 Aug 2014, 7:26 PM.

Comment

Not that this has *anything* to do with the last few posts on this thread, but this american life on NPR had a really good vignette called "A little bit of knowledge" and a new term I had not heard before called "Modern Jackass" (which is not meant to refer anyone on this thread)

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...t-of-knowledge

Comment

Try it if it works that's great! It does work for me too it fights central pain (not real?....WRONG) the burning in my legs settles down and it helps on me from spasms I'm a c7sci.
              What is sad is it won't help everybody imho.

Comment

Working...
              X