Spasms Relief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spasms Relief

What is the best relief for spasms. I take baclofen 10mg 2x a day and a 10mg of diazepam if they are really bad I find stretching really helps but I don't have anyone to stretch properly at night. Anyone have any good suggestions ( drugs, excersse equipment etc) they keep me up at night!

Spasms or spasticity?? There is some difference. Medications help more with spasticity than with spasms.

Other things to do to help with spasticity:

1. Standing at least an hour daily (standing frame or glider).
    2. Laying on your stomach (prone) an hour or more daily.
    3. Range of motion exercises at least once daily.

You are on a relatively low dose of baclofen...many take 80 mg. or even more daily. Be careful with the Valium. It can cause a serious physical dependence, and makes depression worse. Many take an extra dose at bedtime so sleep is not so interrupted.

Tizanadine is another drug often used for spasticity, but we generally wait to try this until we have maxed out on baclofen. Clonidine can sometimes be added to either of these two drugs to "potentiate" (increase) their effectiveness.

Also, be sure that conditions that can worsen spasticity (constipation, UTI, pressure ulcers, etc.) are properly managed and prevented.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hey James I take 50mg of baclofen at midnight and six a.m. When I was first hurt I took 50mg four times a day. I also take one or two Valium. Have been doing this almost 20 years. Don't worry about " physical dependence" that's just the way it is. You have to be able to rest. I'm not a big drug user either but damn you gotta do what you gotta do! I get stretched every a.m. And lay prone about twenty min once a day. Uti make my spasms worse. Did you end up with stones? I think about you everyday and remember when I was first hurt and young like you. I hope you're okay. Take care man.

I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.

Comment

I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.

Comment

Hi KLD, can you explain why Tizanadine is the drug of second choice? Also, can AD cause severe upper torso spasms?
          2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

this is SCI-Nurse pbr....Tizandine is a medication specifically for spasms like baclofen. Baclofen is always first drug of choice for spasticity, then tizanidine. Clonazepam is a benzodiazepine in the same family as Valium (diazepam) and is good for spasms and is better for chronic use.

AD symptoms are different for everyone, some people develop sweating above the level of injury, headache, and yes spasms above the level of injury probably could also occur.

pbr
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

What kind of spasms? Are you having the repetitive leg kicking or knees to chest all over kind? Have someone check to see if your feet feel cold after you've been in bed for 30 minutes to an hour.
              Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

I have the leg kicking, knees to chests, really intense diaphragm abdominal spasm that makes it hard to breathe, back spasms that pull me into the bed, and what I call seizures spasms it's like I'm having a seizure in my leg

Comment

Yeah I tried to avoid Valium as much as possible, I think it's spasticity, and I will try some of these techniques thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwild
                    Hey James I take 50mg of baclofen at midnight and six a.m. When I was first hurt I took 50mg four times a day. I also take one or two Valium. Have been doing this almost 20 years. Don't worry about " physical dependence" that's just the way it is. You have to be able to rest. I'm not a big drug user either but damn you gotta do what you gotta do! I get stretched every a.m. And lay prone about twenty min once a day. Uti make my spasms worse. Did you end up with stones? I think about you everyday and remember when I was first hurt and young like you. I hope you're okay. Take care man. I think upping your baclofen would help for sure. I take mine at the times above cause they made me drowsy and and I sleep them off by the time I get up. During the day spasms aren't so bad especially if you're working out.
                    I know you do but I have heard that baclofen can hinder your recovery from SCI.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMcM
                      I know you do but I have heard that baclofen can hinder your recovery from SCI.
                      No studies on this have been done in SCI that show this. There is some evidence on brain injury recovery in animals, but again, not in human beings.

(KLD)

Comment

Hi KLD, can you explain why Tizanadine is the drug of second choice? Also, can AD cause severe upper torso spasms?
                        Tizanadine is more expensive, and more people respond well to bacolfen than tizanadine. The side effect profile is also very similar.

It is more likely that the CAUSE of your AD is also causing increased spasticity, than it is that AD is causing these types of spasms or spasticity. Look at problems such as poor positioning or wheelchair fit, skin breakdown, UTI/stones or other GU problems, and constipation as possible causes of each. A syrinx can also cause both in some. AD, just like suddenly worsened spasticity, is a warning that something is wrong, and that needs to be further investigated.

(KLD)

Comment

Thank you for your comments. The severe torso spasms have occurred just twice and lasted about 30 minutes. The first time I went to my doctor worried about a heart attack, but that was ruled out. The second time I noticed the AD symptoms, including a severe headache. I can pretty much rule out everything but a syrinx.....
                          2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                          Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

James, first I'd just forget about the seizure spasms you describe. They only last for a minute and normally do not wake a person up. I still get them normally after trying something new a few times like riding in the new van has gotten my right cheek doing the tiny but intense 30 second wiggle occasionally. Repetitive kicks which can really interfere with sleep I had too mainly in my left leg. According to my last neurologist many people report this one and one leg often is their UTI indicator. If mine acts up now I push fluids like crazy. I found early on that if you get the kickers your feet are probably rather cold when you head to bed. If your feet are cold I'd try a microwave rice or flax filled heat pack that you can heat and wrap around your ankles over your pants right before bed. The spasms hit as warm blood begins flowing through your feet again after a day up is my theory. Standing in a standing frame daily can help ease those and the whole body sucker punches. Talk to your PT about how to have someone stretch your arms out while standing to open your chest muscles. Not much help with the back arches. Those hit me when we started working on my rhomboids. Some spasms when you are in a PT program will show up when exercises wake up muscles and until they hook up correctly in your brain you get the spazes. Stretching is about the only help besides standing for clonus or thumper foot/feet. It does start tapering off at about 2 years out. My biggy was finding out the cold feet thing. After finding different ways to warm my feet up safely I started getting 2 or 3 hours sleep at a time then turn and go back to sleep.

While KLD is correct about all the evidence on baclofen that still didn't stop a neurologist at Johns Hopkins from expressing his opinion that it does mask recovery. I just found it did nothing for me at 160mg a day. I tried Tizanidine and 2mg did nothing for me while 4 mg gave me horrible dry mouth and turned my legs that let me do weight bearing transfers to noodles. My physiatrist at Walter Reed finally decided I was just a weird reactor and put me on good old valium. I've had a script for a total of 20mg a day for about 15 years and rarely take more than 10mg at night. Do not try this route if you have ever had a drug or alcohol problem as many accommodate quickly and need higher doses over time. Hope this helps.
                            Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Comment

Working...
                            X