No announcement yet.

Options for Nerve Pain / Neuropathic Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have constipation, but it is from opiod meds and not neuropathy directly. I take stool softeners daily and have to add in a dose of myralax every few days.

Comment

That's what happened to me, too, MikeRobinson. While in the hospital, right after my accident, they had me on opioids,...and lots of other things that I was too "out of it" to question. After a couple of weeks, bam, the neuropathy started. The first day, it was from my knees down. By the next day, the neuropathy was from my thighs down. And by the third day, it was like it has stayed,...from my lower tummy down. Caveat: One leg is amputated above the knee, but it still "feels" the neuropathic pain. I can't get rid of the neuropathic pain, but I noticed that it worsens to the point of making me miserable when I'm at all constipated, but lessens so that I can mostly ignore it when I'm not constipated.
      Female, T9 incomplete

Comment

I have had some success taking a dose of Motrin, 800mg every 6 hours with milk to coat the stomach. On bad days, take that along with hydrocodone. Really miserable to live with. Just don't know how or, why this occurs. Same place, same pain. Mine, like bolts of lightening in waves.
        I refuse to tip toe through life, only to arrive safely at death.

Comment

Bad days only valium helps. Good days some exercise helps me ignore it. For me it's constant but ranges from a relatively mellow thrumming of pins and needles to a sensation of burning glass being ground into my flesh.
          T3 complete since Sept 2015.

Comment

I've been on OxyContin and oxycodone for break thru for five years with the same doctor. I have taken radom drug tests thru all that time and had no problems at all, when I have a really bad day I drink no more than two beers and it cuts the pain to almost Zero the beer works for a couple of hours I eat dinner and go to bed, bad days only happen an average of once a week. Last week I had a random pee test and failed my doctor flew off the handle and threatened to fire me as a patient. It was two and a half days since I had a beer. Am I crazy to feel a little annoyed about this?

Comment

I know it is silly to get excited about pain but, to see someone else potentially describe (maybe?) my same issue would be awesome. So, yes, meds and constipation tend to go hand-in-hand. But, my nerve pain seems to be triggered by having more stool in me or the need for a bm. Does this happen to anyone else? I am an incomplete T12/L1.

Comment

yes definitely, the amount of stool in my body increases my nerve pain. I discovered this when i finally got myself cleaned out. I am cada equine injury, l4-s1.
                When i start getting backed up my pain goes up, and skyrockets with overfilled bowels. I spent way too many years with overfilled bowels and intestines.
                cauda equina

Comment

Working...
                X