Topamax for Neuropathy ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hlh View Post
    I'm glad you got off the Lithium. That has a lot of bad potential side effects, and if it wasn't helping - good to stop. I agree that you should taper off any of the meds that aren't clearly helping. Don't do it too fast, and only under the direction of your doc.

You are on several neuropathic meds that are potentially good and are of different classes - amitryptiline, Cymbalta, neurontin - but I wouldn't add another like topomax without stopping at least one or two of the ones you are on that aren't clearly helping. Are you still on topomax too? Be sure to taper the cymbalta off slowly if you are going to stop it, since some people can develop a terrible rebound depression if they stop it suddenly.

How about using a different class of medicine only as needed? Like an opiod (oxycodone) or tramadol? Sometimes the combination of the meds you are on with one of these can work better. Within a few days you should see if it helps, and you can increase the doses quicker then the other meds you are on.

Sorry it is so frustrating... I hope you have one good doctor working with you, but I am a bit worried to see you on so many medicines. It makes me worried the doc is ?forgetting to get you off one that doesn't work before starting a new one.
    I've tried oxycodone, at least in the Percocet form, and it doesn't touch this pain. I've also tried Tramadol, up to 200mg and it did nothing. I read on here about people using methadone or oxymorphone, etc and it working but I'm afraid to ask my pain dr. for heavy narcotics.. Don't want him to think I want it for fun.. I am in agonizing, excruciating, burning, searing pain...buzzing, tingling, hot, icy cold, Aching, etc..

The only meds that I'm taking now are Cymbalta 120mg/day, Gabapentin 4800mg/day, Baclofen 60mg/day, Zanaflex 16mg/day.

I have depression and anxiety (pre-existing prior to SCI) so the Cymbalta is for that as well as the neuro pain. Works ok for the depression and anxiety but obviously not the neuro pain.

Comment

Originally posted by jbridges9 View Post
      I've tried oxycodone, at least in the Percocet form, and it doesn't touch this pain. I've also tried Tramadol, up to 200mg and it did nothing. I read on here about people using methadone or oxymorphone, etc and it working but I'm afraid to ask my pain dr. for heavy narcotics.. Don't want him to think I want it for fun.. I am in agonizing, excruciating, burning, searing pain...buzzing, tingling, hot, icy cold, Aching, etc..

The only meds that I'm taking now are Cymbalta 120mg/day, Gabapentin 4800mg/day, Baclofen 60mg/day, Zanaflex 16mg/day.

I have depression and anxiety (pre-existing prior to SCI) so the Cymbalta is for that as well as the neuro pain. Works ok for the depression and anxiety but obviously not the neuro pain.

This is really frustrating... I'm sorry to hear this has been a tough road finding something that helps.

With regard to your previous post... you just increased two meds recently, so you probably need to give it a couples weeks before you can tell if things are changing. I understand that if cymbalta is working well for mood etc.., you should keep it.

I would still ask the pain doc about experimenting with other opiods. For some reason, some people respond better to one then another (as you implied...). Also, if you are on a different combination of meds now compared to what you were on when you tried it before, maybe it would be more effective now.

Hang in there.... Make sure your anxiety is really well controlled, because that can make your pain even worse. Which I'm sure you know....

Comment

Working...
      X