Amitriptyline for AD pain.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amitriptyline for AD pain.

i was just given Amitriptyline for my dislocated left hip that has been causing heavy sweating from AD. does anyone have any experience with this good or bad?
    thanks!

This tri-cyclic antidepressant drug is sometimes used for neuropathic pain, although rarely by itself. It may help with AD sweating (although not the other signs and symptoms) because of its anticholenergic (like Ditropan) side effects that can suppress sweating. Other drugs suppress sweating better than this one though.

If the goal is to control AD's dangerous high blood pressure, then a ganglionic blocker can be used (Minipress, dibenzyline, nifedipine, catapres, etc.) to keep the blood pressure down and other symptoms under control as the fracture heals, but this will also suppress any AD symptoms that may be protective (such as letting you know that you are incorrectly positioned, have a UTI, or a bowel impaction).

Have you been treated with standard pain medications such as NSAIDs or opioids without success?

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

My doctor put me on Lyrica first and it did nothing at all. My sweating is really bad when I urinate as well they think my dislocated hip is pushing on a nerve between my hip and bladder. What medication is best to stop the heavy sweating? That is the only symptom of AD I get?

Comment

I have tried many prescriptions for my pain. Amytriptylene is one of the best with low side effects. Plus it is very inexpensive. I have experienced better luck with this drug than any other. I have tried them all from Lyrica, Neurotin, Cymbalta and a few others. Really watch the side effects with these newer drugs. Topomax gave me strong pain in my teeth and gums. It will be a side effect that you would never think of. I wish you well.
        Best Regards,
        Joe

Comment

Thanks Joe! Ya I read some of the side effects and they sound scary. But hoping for the best and it to stop my heavy sweating.

Comment

I had some really bad side effects with Topomax. Amytriptylene has been the easiest for me to take. It tires me out for a good night sleep. I take two 75mg about seven to eight at night. A few hours before bedtime. If you like wine, add a glass and it really takes the pain away. I wish you well.
            Best Regards,
            Joe

Comment

sci nurse you mentioned other drugs suppress sweating better that this drug what are some others? i can ask my doctor about them.

Comment

Have you contacted any of the physiatrists at GF Strong?

Comment

no i haven't would they give me that info about what drugs to take?

Comment

Sweating heavy from AD

What can control or stop sweating best if my dislocated hip is causing heavy sweating?

Comment

Heavy sweating from AD.

I have two dislocated hips and sweat like crazy from AD and was wondering what drugs would work best to stop my sweating it is ruining my life I can't go anywhere without dripping.

Comment

My suggestion is to try a low dose of amitriptyline (20-30 mg daily) for a few days. I am also taking 50 mg. tramidol every 6-8 hours. The combination is controlling my AD sweating very well.
                        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

How do you know you have dislocated hips? Have you seen a doctor?

Since you have stated you have dislocated hips, I would think you have had some medical opinion. Have you had any one tell you how to deal with this issue, the pain, the AD?

AD is nothing to fool with, it is life threatening, so if you are injured (dislocated hips) you need to seek some kind of help.

Can you tell us more?

All the best,
                          GJ

Comment

ya i'm on 20mg of amitriptyline right now it worked for 2 days now i'm back to sweating heavily. yes i have had x-rays and both hips are dislocated and my doctor doesn't seem to worried. but i know my sweating is from AD because it was not this bad before my left hip got worse. i just want the sweating to stop it's terrible. i just want to know what meds would stop the sweating.

Comment

Try adding some tramidol to your regime. Sometimes combinations increase the effectiveness.
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X