No announcement yet.

pain, pain, pain, see what's become of me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any "fuzzy brain" feeling w/ Tramadol? Does it helps w/ the tingling, stabbing neurogenic pain much?
    Thanks..
    C4/5 incomplete, 17 years since injury

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” - Carlos Castaneda

"We live not alone but chained to a creature of a different kingdom: our body." - Marcel Proust

Comment

Originally posted by KyleP2112 View Post
      Any "fuzzy brain" feeling w/ Tramadol? Does it helps w/ the tingling, stabbing neurogenic pain much?
      Thanks..
      Kyle, I don't have a tramatic SCI, but I had a virus migrate into my spinal cord & brain stem several years ago. My body's defenses attacked the virus and my own spinal cord tissue as well. Until I finally was hospitalized and got treatment, my cord was swollen almost to the full extent of the dura, over its entire length. This inital problem was "fixed", but I have permanent central nerve pain that affects my left half from armpit to toes. My left arm had the worst of it, with repetitive electric shocks the entire length, overy 8 seconds. My left side, front, & back felt like it was in a vice and I had been stabbed in many places.
      I now take 3600 mg Gabapentin and 300 mg Lyrica a day, along with one 10 mg Amitriptyline at bedtime. After much experimentation, I have found that the Gaba and the Lyrica are much more effective if broken into multiple doses per day. I split the dosages into four and take them at 9 am, 3 pm, 9pm, and 3 am. I set two alarms...one for 3 am and one for 9 am. The pills and a glass of water are on my nightstand, so I grab the capsules and then go right back to sleep (probably thanks to the amitriptyline).
      The reason I want to tell you this is that with this regime I have been able to function much more normally than before. I cannot tell you that my pain has been eliminated, but it has been reduced and is much more tolerable. I really feel that 6 hours is - for me - the maximum period of effectiveness of these medications. I do sleep more with these meds, but as my body has adjusted to them, the brain fog has diminished. I have to watch for fatigue and adjust my schedule accordingly. I have allodynia in my left forearm, and my midsection front, side, & back, but with these meds, even it has been reduced. It took me only a year to get to the max dosage of Gaba. I tried Tegretol but it made me suicidal. I got weaned off the Tegretol and started Lyrica six months ago and have not had any issues.
      The point is that you have to give these meds a good chance to work, you have to work with your Dr to find the correct dosage, and you have to determine how to split the doses to maximize their effectiveness for you.

Comment

Working...
      X