My first visit to a pain clinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first visit to a pain clinic

I had my first visit with a pain clinic on Wednesday. I was not expecting to be impressed. I have been passed around this group of doctors since December now and none of them really seem to know the difference between an acute spinal cord injury and a chronic injury. I was amazingly surprised. I have never been to a pain clinic before. I have never been to a doctor who wasn't pushing anti-depressants at me either.

My first visit consisted of talking to a care coordinator for two hours about three weeks ago. I can't even remember most of that conversation. Wednesday's visit involved talking to a 4th year resident along with the pharmacist who re-arranaged some of the meds I was already taking and added a couple of drugs none of which are anti-depressants. I can email this Care coordinator at anytime and I am expected to.I have never had that kind of patient/provider relationship.

I am set up to have an MRi on Friday because it has been 9 years since I have had any scans and I am also referred to a physiatrist who specializes in chronic aging spinal cord injuries as well as a counselor who specializes in people with chronic pain who can in the doctors words "connect me to the applicable community resources that I need". That will also include appointments with an orthotist and a urologist.

I had so much anxiety and worry over this appointment. I had to sign a contract that I would only see that practice and they would prescribe my meds and I would use only one pharmacy. They drug test every time I go. I really don't mind this now that I have met the Pharm D running the program and know that his goals and my goals are the same.

I think for me him just saying "I get it" meant alot. I did not have to explain in detail what being on fire meant and he did not ask me to describe it.

The night before my appointment I had not slept at all. We had storms and my legs were on fire all night long. So I was tearful and very truthful with him as to how the pain has effected my quality of life. I am not usually that open even with my doctors and maybe that is part of my problem....
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

I'm impressed and currently in search of this type clinic. So far my experiences of getting the urine test, blood pressure, weigh me and ask questions. I had all my CAT, MRI, and X-rays with me, he didn't look at them. Lot's more, but anyway, I am happy for you, I hope this turns out to be your tiny sanctuary.

Is it named a pain management clinic, or are they calling themselves something else? I would love to find what you have.

Comment

That sounds great Tonja ... your post even sounds relieved!

We will not be 'felled' in '2012!' (I know - I've been trying to think of something inspirational that will rhyme with 12 .. lol).
      Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

That's a pretty amazing pain clinic! Hope it keeps surprising and impressing you - it did me just from reading your post!
        Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
        - Albert Einstein

Comment

Sounds similar to mine T. I hope they continue the good treatment. It sounds like you found a good one. My pain clinic was the first place I did'nt have to explain in detail what I meant about burning etc. They knew what I was talking about, and even knew about burning more when the weather got bad.

Comment

D D - can you share what meds they finally put you on to get things started? Do they have or recommend any biofeedback services?

Comment

That sounds great. It is so important to have people who "get it." It is also such a relief when you are able to find someone who does. I hope this is just the start of a productive relationship that lessens your pain levels.

Comment

It sounds great. Can you share the name and location of the clinic?
                You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
                http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Comment

Its inside the Internal Medicine Clinic on the campus of UNC-Chapel Hill

http://medicine.med.unc.edu/im/patients

http://findadoc.unchealthcare.org/di...ict_id=0003030

I had not looked him up until today. I was referred by my physician in the Internal Med Clinic.

Arndog he upped my Topamax to three times a day and the Ultram ER 200 mg to 100mg twice a day. He also put me on Buspar for anxiety not an anti-depressant. I take 5mg Oxy for break through but that will lessen when I get my braces adjusted. I won't settle for anything less than townsends and I had to send the last ones back. So I am just waiting on a referral. Yes he did mention biofeedback and some other things. I don't want to be on medicine forever. I am hopeful the other person I am scheduled with will offer more as in teaching me how to relax and mind body skills. I think this kind of thing below will be an option as it is listed on their patient website. I know they have a faculty version for their students/

http://www.med.unc.edu/phyrehab/news...skills-program
                  Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 25 Feb 2012, 5:15 PM. Reason: add info about my braces

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I'm really glad that you found a pain clinic where they not only listen, but get it! What a relief it will be, not having to reinvent the wheel at every appointment.
                    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

I will add that I have a referral to see this doctor as she works with Chronic Spinal Cord Injuries:

http://www.med.unc.edu/phyrehab/facu...ther-walker-md

Dr Cassazza who is listed above her on this page is who I saw earlier this week and who has ordered my MRI on Friday. I will see him on Monday for the results of that.

They both are a part of the Physical Medicine program and I believe my primary referred me to to best of his knowledge....it just sometimes gets tedious being a "passed around patient".

To make things even more confusing they have their own pain management and pain psychologist also....

UNC-Chapel Hill is a huge Health system as I am finding out.

Comment

This is the way it should be done.

Thank you for sharing it.

Comment

Good for you Tonja! And it's good to see lynnifer so feisty again, haha I won't go to hell in the year 2012!
                          Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                          Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

I'm so happy for you! Having a Dr who 'gets it' makes all the difference. I just saw a new geneticist yesterday, and he said he was very happily surprised to see how well I am doing emotionally. Most of the patients he sees with my disorder are at the end of their rope pain wise. I told him he should have seen me 9 months ago! He said he will mention me to help give others with my disorder hope. I said go for it! Tell them I said having a great pain Dr and treatment team makes ALL the difference!! And, they ARE out there. Its taken me years but right now I am finally happy with ALL of my Drs and working towards getting where I want to be in my life.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

Comment

Great news that it was a good experience. Sometimes it is hard to know what to expect.

Comment

Working...
                              X