Nerve regeneration relief?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nerve regeneration relief?

I had a SCI and a brain injury June of 2011. Up until a few months ago, I was taking Neurotin. That didn't seem to alleviate my nerve pain, and my doctor told me that Neurotin inhibits nerve regeneration so I stopped taking it a few months ago. I also apparently have an over-active bladder so I take Ditropan for that. I am weening off the Ditropan, but when I take it it causes a loss of apetite and sleep loss. For the sleep loss I am taking Trazedone and Ambien, but even those don't seem to put me to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issue?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate the nerve regeneration pain? I used to take oxycodone, but that does not actually kill the nerve pain it just dulls me. It also messes up your bowel and bladder, and I stopped taking that a couple of months ago. Lately, I have a lot of pain in my bladder, which I used to have when I had to urinate but lately I have the pain and when I catheter I barely get any urine. I read that vitamins B1, B6 and B12 as well as omega 3 fatty acids are good for nerve regeneration. I also discovered that Adderall (I am prescribed that for my ADHD) eliminates the nerve pain, but I cannot take that during bedtime. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain? Also, will this help at all:www.realfoodnutrients.com/neuropathy/home.htm

I don't have answers, but am curious as to what you drink and its relation to your bladder irritation. Have you tried eliminating caffeine? Or soda or certain fruit juices?

I've had - what feels like bladder pain - for what must be a week by now. I'm paralyzed from the waist down. I know I have an infection by the smell of my urine, even though it's fairly clear. At first I thought it was fleeting and would just go away.

It literally feels like there's a porcupine that 'just fits' in the size of my bladder!

I recently had surgery to correct some issues and am wondering if it's related (hysterectomy). Especially sensitive to what I drink anymore (maybe it's age with me though).
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Thank you. The pain is not in my bladder its actually in my penis. I only drink water and my urine is clear. I have not had the pain today, but I cannot smell so I'm not sure if I have an infection

Comment

Originally posted by mkm29 View Post
        I had a SCI and a brain injury June of 2011. Up until a few months ago, I was taking Neurotin. That didn't seem to alleviate my nerve pain, and my doctor told me that Neurotin inhibits nerve regeneration so I stopped taking it a few months ago. I also apparently have an over-active bladder so I take Ditropan for that. I am weening off the Ditropan, but when I take it it causes a loss of apetite and sleep loss. For the sleep loss I am taking Trazedone and Ambien, but even those don't seem to put me to sleep. Does anyone have any suggestions how to fix these issue?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions to alleviate the nerve regeneration pain? I used to take oxycodone, but that does not actually kill the nerve pain it just dulls me. It also messes up your bowel and bladder, and I stopped taking that a couple of months ago. Lately, I have a lot of pain in my bladder, which I used to have when I had to urinate but lately I have the pain and when I catheter I barely get any urine. I read that vitamins B1, B6 and B12 as well as omega 3 fatty acids are good for nerve regeneration. I also discovered that Adderall (I am prescribed that for my ADHD) eliminates the nerve pain, but I cannot take that during bedtime. Is there anything I can do to alleviate this pain? Also, will this help at all:www.realfoodnutrients.com/neuropathy/home.htm
        You aren't mixing the trazadone and ambient are you? My Dr. said that a big no no.

And as for the pain Morphine is a pretty good pain killer,and it makes me drowsy.

Comment

I am mixing the Trazedone and Ambien, which one should I take?

Comment

I was just doing a research on Neurotin as a considered choice for pain relief and it was mentioned it causes cavities. Anyway if it helps you, I just started taking Tramadol to help my pain issues, hasn't cut the pain totally but seems to help.

Also I am taking B12 shots, not sure if it is helping with the pain per say, but it does help with my energy & moods.

Comment

I used to take Neuotin three times a day (600mg dosage each). It didnt completely kill my nerve pain, but it did reduced it. Ive been taking it now for the last 3 days due to my bladder pain as I think my bladder is coming back and it does seem to help that. I did read that vitamins Methyl B-12, B2, B6 and D3, and Thiamine are good for nerve regeneration. Ususually Thiamine is flushed out of your system really quickly, but Benfotiamine is a version of Thiamine that does not get flushed out very fast. Instead of getting B12 shots you should look into Methyl B12 (Methylcobalamine).

Comment

mkm29. Hello, I am currently taking Lyrica (pregabalin:chemical name) and it is a wonderful addition to my current pain regimen. It is prescribed for severe nerve pain/damage, and is used as an anti-seizure medication as well. I am also on Klonopin and Oxycodone. The mixture has helped me so much, and I have horrible nerve pain. If you are interested, you could try looking into Lyrica. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. Hope you feel better!
                Last edited by Rex Logan; 25 Feb 2012, 3:09 AM.

Comment

To ~Maria, be careful with Tramadol, it is a horribly addictive drug. I know two people who have used it, after they tried getting off of this drug, they had severe withdrawal side effects. Even more than that of Opiates. So please be aware and be cautious. Good luck to you I hope you're pain gets managed to the best it can be.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex Logan View Post
                    To ~Maria, be careful with Tramadol, it is a horribly addictive drug. I know two people who have used it, after they tried getting off of this drug, they had severe withdrawal side effects. Even more than that of Opiates. So please be aware and be cautious. Good luck to you I hope you're pain gets managed to the best it can be.
                    Thank you Rex, I have read about that and frankly that did scare me, I will say that from what I read the ones that were addicted, appeared to be addictive type people, i.e. addicted to other drugs in the past and were abusing their doses, as well as taking other things they were not currently prescribed.

I experimented by not taking the dose for 6-hrs to see if I experienced withdrawal type symptoms --I didn't. I also would wait an hour or so before I took several of my doses --again no symptoms. Other than the obvious (I was in pain), I seemed to be ok. I also will say I have a gigantic bottle of hydro's and a small bottle of oxy's, as well as a whole host of other meds I have been on and off of over the past few years. Other than when I have been in wretching pain, I don't think about them and don't take them.

I don't want to hijack someone else's thread and should start a new one on the subject of Tram because I do want to hear from others. I am resigned to the fact I will have to take something the rest of my life, but would like to avoid my body being addicted.
                    Last edited by ~Maria; 25 Feb 2012, 10:47 AM.

Comment

My doctor did say that anti-seizure meds (Lyrica) will treat my nerve pain, but he said he did not want me to take it, although I am not sure why. I asked my doctor about taking Tramadol and he has not gotten back to me yet, oxycodone is supposed to be very addictive and I took that for about 4 months (when I finished I wean down to 2.5 pills a day), and I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms after stopping taking it.

Comment

Also, I was wondering what excercises I should do at home. Last week at PT the therapist tested my strength in my legs and told me that until my strength gets to a certain point there is nothing more she can do for me.

Right now, I have KAFO braces and I walk using a walker everyday. I also do my exercise routine everyday, which includes snow angels on each leg, my dad built a board so that I can do kicking like exercise and one where I bring my knee to my chest. On my right leg I am able to do the exercises that I do on the board with my left leg on the edge of my bed. I also do ab exercises, in which I do 25 crunches to each side and one set in the middle with my legs on a chair. I also do what my therapist calls "high kneeling" where I put my arms on a chair so I can put weight through my knees.

What else should I do, either at home or not, do increase my recovery?

Comment

I take both, but not at the same time. During the week I take Ambien (SUN-THUR), and the weekend (FRI-SAT) take Traz. Basically if it is a work day the next day, I take Ambien. The reason I take both is you will develop a tolerance for Ambien. The Traz tends to make me slightly groggy the next morning and why I only take if no work the next day. Hope this helps you.

~~I have chronic insomnia I've suffered from for close to 30-years!

Comment

I'm neither a doctor nor a pharmacist, and I'm verey surprised that wherever you get your prescriptions from did not warn you not to take them together, but when I was prescribed trazadone, I was already using ambien, my doctor said to start with one and increase the dosage by one each night until I was able to sleep up to a maximum of 6. They were 50mg which translates to My doctor said to figure out how much works for me up to amaximum of 300mg. The only other thing he told me was not to take them together. And as far as which one you should choose, I'd say that's your call. Personally, for me Ambian helps me fall asleep and fall back asleep, but I still wake up about every 2 hours or so all night long. If you feel anxious then the trazadone is for you, because that is the other thing that they prescribe it for is to treat anxiety. It is an anti-anxiety medication primarily that works to induce sleep.

Comment

My doctor did say that anti-seizure meds (Lyrica) will treat my nerve pain, but he said he did not want me to take it, although I am not sure why. I asked my doctor about taking Tramadol and he has not gotten back to me yet, oxycodone is supposed to be very addictive and I took that for about 4 months (when I finished I wean down to 2.5 pills a day), and I did not experience any withdrawal symptoms after stopping taking it.
                              Although I can't really say that I have any long term, years, time using it, I believe that if you are only using it enough to manage your pain and not enough to actually enjoy it then addiction is unlikely. Why do I think this? It's really just my own little theory, but I think you only get addicted to things that you enjoy. If seratonin isn't getting pumped into your brain then you won't develop a psychological need for it...B.S. probably, but I have a friend who is not me that has done a lot of pretty hard core experimentation and he does something until he gets tired of doing it and then quits. And he has avoided adiction to pretty much every chemical out there. The only one that was a bitch was Methamphetamine because it takes weeks to sleep it off. And because it damages the brain so that it no longer causes seratonin to be released without the chemical stimulation, so it also pretty much leaves a person unable to feel pleasure forever after long term use. Brain damage, but it's only permanent. Well, he stayed away from heroin cuz he was afraid it was too much even for him...

Comment

Working...
                              X