Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pain meds an AD

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Pain meds an AD

    After 57 years of living without pain that affected my functionality, I have been thrown into the pain pit because of an undiagnosed problem. My quality of life has plummeted from 8 to near 0 on the ten point scale. I am nearing the point at which I will be left to find an effective long term pain regimen. I have severe lower abdominal burning, and sometimes sharp brief pains there. However, I also have AD sweating when I am sitting or moving my trunk. I am relatively pain free when lying on my sides and not moving. My pain seems to have responded to prednisone, which had been injected to treat shoulder pain. After the injections I had 3 days of total pain relief and after another 4-5 days was back at square one. It suggests that I may have the option of a long term low dose or intermittent prednisone regimen to deal with the pain. That is a high risk option because of the many side effects of long term steroid use.

    I have two issues I am researching:

    1. What pain meds to start trying beyond the NSAIDS because they do not work, along with tramidol.

    2. Are there any pain meds that also stop the AD sweating?

    I will appreciate any suggestions.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

    See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

    #2
    Have you ever tried the nerve pain type medications? They're used for more than just nerve pain. Examples would be lyrica and neurontin. Cymbalta and amitriptyline are some others that would be between those you've tried and starting narcotics.
    Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

    I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

    Comment


      #3
      Danm. I hope you can get this resolved quickly, you have had a good run.

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ~Lin View Post
        Have you ever tried the nerve pain type medications? They're used for more than just nerve pain. Examples would be lyrica and neurontin. Cymbalta and amitriptyline are some others that would be between those you've tried and starting narcotics.
        I suspect I will be trying those next. But does anyone know if they have any impact on this g-d sweating?

        In the past, I have not had good experiences with narcotics such as percoset after surgery and hope I can avoid them.

        It is so frustrating that we cannot find the underlying cause of my problem.
        You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
        http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

        See my personal webpage @
        http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

        Comment


          #5
          in my experience, neurontin gave me HORRIBLE sweats and behavior problems. i'd get angry for no reason. i think your AD will be resolved once you get the pain under control
          "Smells like death in a bucket of chicken!"
          http://www.elportavoz.com/

          Comment


            #6
            Neuropathic pain is not usually a cause of AD symptoms. Have you checked for other causes?

            I hope you find an answer soon, whatever it turns out to be.
            Alan

            Proofread carefully to see if you any words out.

            Comment


              #7
              Scifor55years, this is my 3rd attempt to reply to your (gd) sweating issue...i am new to this forum, my first 2 replies did not go through...ok the little box up there says welcome busterskid,that's me, and the box down here says you may post, so if this doesn't work, well i guess ill just get a new wrinkle in my forehead, i read your profile with the photos, your story about meeting your wife was just wonderful, anyway i am c 5-6 sci since 1975, auto accident, I hate sweating too, i totally do not function when in sweat mode. I first started the sweating a couple of years after my injury, i told my urologist about it. He said he thought i might have a bladder stone. He scoped me and removed 2 lovely bladder stones. He put me on ditropan (oxybutnin) for the sweating with wonderful results. Other things still cause me to sweat, the usuals, full bladder, bowel, things we can check. Right now i am battling a nasty pressure sore on my bottom. OsteoM is confirmed, bone scan. This causes the sweats, still the ditropan helps. I hope to have flap surgery soon if i can get my surgeon to put aside the boob implants long enough to do my buttocks, actually i think a boob job on my but would solve all my problems in that area,lol. Well i hope this post goes through and hope you try ditropsn and it helps you...Roxx

              Comment


                #8
                Clonidine hydrocloride 0.1mg
                It's a blood pressure med so u have to ensure your not going to drop below a functional BP. It's side effect is it stops the sweats most of the time.

                I'd also look into not eating anything for the first few hours after getting up. I've been dealing with sweating for years to the point of being completely useless so I understand.

                Just a couple of suggestions.
                Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

                I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by alan View Post
                  Neuropathic pain is not usually a cause of AD symptoms. Have you checked for other causes?

                  I hope you find an answer soon, whatever it turns out to be.
                  You are correct and that is what is so frustrating. We have done just about every lab test and imaging type available and everything comes up negative.

                  All that seems left is to try to make me more comfortable. That means reducing the pain and sweating without turning me into a zombie. There appears to be little or nothing to stop the sweating other that eliminating the cause which we cannot find. As so often goes with an SCI, I find myself between a rock and a hard place
                  You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                  http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                  See my personal webpage @
                  http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by busterskid View Post
                    Scifor55years, this is my 3rd attempt to reply to your (gd) sweating issue...i am new to this forum, my first 2 replies did not go through...ok the little box up there says welcome busterskid,that's me, and the box down here says you may post, so if this doesn't work, well i guess ill just get a new wrinkle in my forehead, i read your profile with the photos, your story about meeting your wife was just wonderful, anyway i am c 5-6 sci since 1975, auto accident, I hate sweating too, i totally do not function when in sweat mode. I first started the sweating a couple of years after my injury, i told my urologist about it. He said he thought i might have a bladder stone. He scoped me and removed 2 lovely bladder stones. He put me on ditropan (oxybutnin) for the sweating with wonderful results. Other things still cause me to sweat, the usuals, full bladder, bowel, things we can check. Right now i am battling a nasty pressure sore on my bottom. OsteoM is confirmed, bone scan. This causes the sweats, still the ditropan helps. I hope to have flap surgery soon if i can get my surgeon to put aside the boob implants long enough to do my buttocks, actually i think a boob job on my but would solve all my problems in that area,lol. Well i hope this post goes through and hope you try ditropsn and it helps you...Roxx
                    Thanks. I will put ditropan on my list of things to try.
                    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                    See my personal webpage @
                    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Liz321 View Post
                      Clonidine hydrocloride 0.1mg
                      It's a blood pressure med so u have to ensure your not going to drop below a functional BP. It's side effect is it stops the sweats most of the time.

                      I'd also look into not eating anything for the first few hours after getting up. I've been dealing with sweating for years to the point of being completely useless so I understand.

                      Just a couple of suggestions.
                      I will put this on my list. Blood pressure is an issue because my typical "normal" is about 85/40.
                      You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                      http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                      See my personal webpage @
                      http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Has arthritis already been mentioned, might be a consideration.
                        get busy living or get busy dying

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post
                          I will put this on my list. Blood pressure is an issue because my typical "normal" is about 85/40.
                          My norm when I'm up and about is 110/70 but I have a functionl bp of 90/55. Anything below that I'm dizzy.

                          It is quite frustrating.

                          Ditropan should help some too if you don't take a bladdar med.
                          Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

                          I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Is it safe to increase bp with salt for those with SCI? For example salt tablets or the medication Florinef. They're used to increase blood pressure for Dysautonomia and other orthostatic bp issues. I think I've read here that midodrine is used for SCI patients.
                            Board Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project working in Education. Feel free to ask me any service dog questions!

                            I am not paralyzed. I have a genetic connective tissue disorder with neuro complications and a movement disorder.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Liz321 View Post
                              My norm when I'm up and about is 110/70 but I have a functionl bp of 90/55. Anything below that I'm dizzy.

                              It is quite frustrating.

                              Ditropan should help some too if you don't take a bladdar med.
                              We know for certain that my bladder is not causing the problem. My bladder was removed in 1970. I now have an ileal conduit. It drains continuously. My urinary tract and GI system have been checked out. Every test has been negative.
                              You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
                              http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

                              See my personal webpage @
                              http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X