Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question

Does anyone know of something that calms nerves. I think this would help with pain issues. Masking them with pain killers doesn't seem to work or I havent found anything strong enough.
    Thanks
    Last edited by stevegalliazzo; 21 Nov 2011, 8:36 AM. Reason: A little to personal

Stress/anxiety will aggravate your pain and painkillers will not help.

You can try anti anxiety medications. They have helped some here including me.

What kind of pain do you have? Is it central pain with the burning/stabbing?

Removing yourself from the situation that is bringing on the "nerves" will help the most.

You can PM me
    Tonja
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

It is getting better, but it is aggraveted by activity. If I stop for an hour it calms down and once I start moving it starts back up. I would just like something that would settle it down and I think it would get better sooner. I have tried neurontin and it was usless and I have also tried lyrica and they did not touch it either.

Comment

It is central pain due to a c-7 injury with burning at the chest and under my arms.

Comment

I have had little luck with new age antidepressants. I have used low dose of Valium and it has helped.

Be Big,
          AMAC
          L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
          http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

cymbalta, amitriptyline. How much lyrica did you try? Did you take it up to the maximal doses? You tried Neurontin, did you take that to the maximal doses. You need to try multidrug therapy and not monotherapy where you just use one drug. They are finding that combinations of these drugs works better at quieting the nerves. You have to look at non pharmalogical management as well if you are going to make it without going crazy in the upcoming decades. Acceptance of a life of suffering is one limb of management. Distraction may be the only true management of this problem. Work, music, activity, TV, movies, friends, books, making model airplanes. Knowledge that other people here suffer along with you is helpful too.

Comment

I too have used low dose valium for MS/Fibromyalgia with vistoral when I was ospitalized.......I can't handle narcotics. I had severe spasticity, uti and stress fracture when I went in. Tey thought I passed a kidney stone too. I had so much pai I co/uldn't even describe it and this brought it down for me. MS does not have periphial nerve pain, central nervous system pain. Chamomile herbal tea is nice but here is a tea that is a little more effective:
              Passionflower - Passiflora incarnata</B> Passionflower is stronger than most nervines and calming herbs. It's a weak sedative that can be helpful if you have insomnia because you lay in bed thinking the same anxious thoughts over and over. Use for tension, back pain, nerve pain, headaches, gastro-intestinal symptoms caused by stress. California Poppy has similar uses but is stronger acting.

I use teas before I get to extreme pain, if you like a natural course first I just look online for calming herbal teas and order what fits for me.
              Best wishes, hope you find something that works for you.
              Best Regards,
              Minnie

Comment

Hi Thanks for the input. I will talk to my doctor and try the teas as well.

Comment

Topamax is another one. I was also going to say what Arn said. Combination drugs is what made it bearable for me.

Now ever day is not good but life works.

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I would be very cautious using diazapams (librium, valium, etc.) people can get tolerance quickly like opiates but the difference is that to get off them is more dangerous. Withdrawal off opiates is just miserable. Withdrawal off valium. diazapams can be downright dangerous medically. You can get tolerance taking just 5 mgs twice a day. I find valium helpful for really bad NP pain but I have health respect and try not to use it too frequently.

Comment

Lexapro is a an SSRI used for depression and generalized anxiety disorder, it's not benzo. I was/am a bit unclear if you were referring to anxiety when you said 'calm nerves' but i think that is what you meant. Anyway, not trying to push drugs, just a suggestion.

Comment

baclofen is just as dangerous as valium and the other benzodiazipines when it comes to sudden withdrawal. malfunctioning baclofen pumps that cause overdose or suddenly stop administering baclofen have caused deaths.

Poppy tea is a narcotic and highly addictive.

if you read the forums on anti-depressants, some people have a terrible time when they try to discontinue them. Months of withdrawal

tramadol can be especially nasty...it is a mild opiod and also an SSRI and it is much more addictive than it's manufacturer claims and withdrawing from it can be nightmarish.

folks, use the internet to look up the medicines and herbs, teas, dietary supplements you take and question your doctor carefully. Nothing is perfectly safe and when you combine things your risk of side effects greatly increases.

Comment

Good advice Avictoria,

I never use meds daily only in a horrible exaberation (other then my low dose naltrexone to help slow/stop my progression). I always research anything I take prescribed or over the counter purchases.

Up until about five years ago I could use deep breathing to relax/relieve spasms and tremors which I don't know who all this may or may not work for, I think once My demylinated areas increased it no longer worked. I know the doctors are more then willing to throw out allot of drug options, always research and be sure everyone on your team knows what you already use.

The other thing For me is I always have to ask for the lowest dose available or my doctor would give me larger mgs. Atthe hospital I let them know I don't handle drugs well so I had 2mgs valium and it was effective for me.

If you know how you react to drugs share it w/your doctor to help them help you.

So as said above "folks, use the internet to look up the medicines and herbs, teas, dietary supplements you take and question your doctor carefully. Nothing is perfectly safe and when you combine things your risk of side effects greatly increases."

Great advice, I get excited to share ideas and forget to mention the precautionary side. I like this forum because we all see a different perspective and I like reading to learn for myself too.

Wish you the best.
                          Best Regards,
                          Minnie

Comment

The nerve pain does not cause me to anxious as I have had it for 4 years. I just want something to help stop it or calm it down when I stop moving. The doctor gave me lyrica and I will try that. Narcotics do not seem to do anything. I take codien contine twice a day and does not do anynthing. If I stop moving the pain subsides within an hour or two and I just want something to help that happen or mask it.

Comment

Originally posted by stevegalliazzo View Post
                              The nerve pain does not cause me to anxious as I have had it for 4 years. I just want something to help stop it or calm it down when I stop moving. The doctor gave me lyrica and I will try that. Narcotics do not seem to do anything. I take codien contine twice a day and does not do anynthing. If I stop moving the pain subsides within an hour or two and I just want something to help that happen or mask it.
                              The anxiety medicine works on nerve pain and calms it down in some people.

I don't think anyone was suggesting you had anxiety.

Everyone reacts differently to medication and we all can't take the same combination.

Comment

Working...
                              X