DREZ procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DREZ procedure

Has anyone tried dorsal root entry zone (DREZ) lesion procedure ?

If so - can you tell me more about it ?
    Can you also recommend on any physician that does this procedure ?
    What are the risks involved ?
    Melisa
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 - left arm pain during pregnancy.
    Dec 2005 - C5-6 Prestiege ADR - more pain in the arms and legs.
    Mar 2007 - C5-6 revision (Spinal-Kinetic ADR).
    Dec 2007 - C5-6 fusion.
    Having unbearable nerve pain 24/7 …

More about DREZ

Also, I would like to know if there is a chance of paralysis after having DREZ procedure ?
    Melisa
    Dec 2007 - C5-6 fusion.

Comment

Craig Hospital in Denver, Colorado has a neurosurgeon, Scott Falci, that has a great deal of experience with DREZ.

Comment

Drez

Originally posted by melisa View Post
        Also, I would like to know if there is a chance of paralysis after having DREZ procedure ?
        I had an evaluation for the DREZ, was accepted, got a severe burn on my right foot skin graft did not take, now I am having wound dressing chNGED TWICE A WEEK for the next 7 weeks.

So, I had to reschedule the DREZ. July 1st I'm hoping for.

If you are not paralyzed why get the DREZ???????

if you have nerve damage below the L-1 and have the DREZ you will be a T-10 or T-11.

If you are not paralyzed, yes you could lose motor function at the T-12 -L-1 area. My guess.

My advice, go to Craig. See Dr Scott Falci
        Last edited by Garyis; 04-11-2011, 02:30 AM.
        Gary Is = L-1 Para for 34 years.....................
        ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

DREZ procedure

Any updates ?
          Melisa
          Dec 2007 - C5-6 fusion.

Comment

I just got word from Craig that they can fit me in this August/September and told me what I need to do with my insurance company for Craig to get paid.
            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

DREZ - causing paralysis???????

Originally posted by melisa View Post
              I never heard of this happening. I suggest that you call Craig (numbers on their web site, google Craig hospital Englewood colorado)

But if you are not paralyzed I doubt that they would do surgery. Dr. Falci would be the one to ask this question. Get on this asap as they are booked up many months in advance. I first applied 8 months ago and had my evaluation 6 months ago.
              ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Is it for sure you'll never walk again? I mean wouldn't stem cells be able to fix the spinal cord like anyone elses in the future? What im trying to say is does the surgery prevent any possible recovery?
                Www.rachellefriedman.com

Follow me on Facebook at
                www.facebook.com/rachelleandchris

Follow me on twitter at
                www.twitter.com/followrachelle

Www.wheelstrong.com

sigpic

Comment

More on drez

CRAIG: http://www.craighospital.org/

I don't know - But my walking agin is not something I expect short of aliens picking me up and doing the job:-)

Call Craig, they are willing to talk about any subject.

Becki will connect you to the right person to answer your concern.

303-789-8335
                  ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Hi there,
                    I am looking into drez. I have root avulsion of c5,6,7,8 and t1 of my left side. The procedure is not carried out in my country, so I am looking into the possibility of having the procedure done in Paris by a Dr. theabeaud. I would appreciate any information on DREZ and any side effects regards Mike

Comment

Dr. theabeaud

Mike,

Can you let us know who Dr. theabeaud is ?
                      What's his e-mail address and what do you know about him ?
                      Why did you dicide to do DREZ by him ?

Melissa
                      Melisa
                      Dec 2007 - C5-6 fusion.

Comment

I had DREZ surgery twice in 2003. Once in April and again in August. Both of them performed by Dr. Falci at Craig Hospital. I'm a T10 complete para with severe burning pain in buttocks and thighs. I was 3 years post injury at the time of the surgeries. Neither one worked. The pain now is the same as pre 2003. I lost about 2 dermatomal levels of sensation as a result of the DREZ surgeries. I didn't lose any motor function. It's certainly worth a try if you qualify as a candidate. My understanding is that when it works, it really works. Dr. Falci claims an 86% success rate. Why it works for some and not for others is still a bit of a mystery. One theory is that in some cases the pain "image" becomes imprinted at the thalamic level and, when this occurs, the DREZ surgery has no effect on the pain level. Perhaps that is why it didn't work for me.

For me, one beneficial byproduct of the DREZ surgery was that it completely eliminated all spasticity. I had a fair amount of spasticity going into the surgery and when I came out my legs were really "dead". It makes life easier.

George Hunt

Comment

DREZ procedure

Dear George,

From what you tell I can not understand if your condition was improving following the DREZ procedure, if so, what were the improvements? and what was your condition prior to the operations?

If not - what are the bad outcomes?

Could you send me the surgeon's email, please.
                          Would you recommend him after all?

Can you recommend on any other expert physicians in this field ?

Do you know of any risks from DREZ procedure such as becomming paralyzed ?

I would appreciate having any information that you might have regarding DREZ procedure, including we sites.

Melissa
                          Melisa
                          Dec 2007 - C5-6 fusion.

Comment

Melisa,
                            I had the DREZ surgeries to reduce or eliminate my SCI pain. It didn't work. My pain levels are the same now as they were before the DREZ.

It is my understanding that most people don't lose any motor function as a result of the DREZ surgery. There is always a chance, though. You will lose some sensation. How much I don't know.

Google Craig Hospital, Scott Falci, and DREZ surgery. There's plenty of information on the web. Dr. Falci's email doesn't seem to be available but his nurse's is. It's on the Craig Hospital website. Email her with your questions. She will tell you the risks and rewards and whether or not you are a candidate.

Good Luck,

George

Comment

Ask questions... Many many questions

ASK if there is any chance of it making your pain Worse~

Comment

Working...
                              X