Shoulder pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
    When you get to the point of shoulder pain and injury that most here are talking about, it is long past time to put away the weights and give up the manual wheelchairs. It is time to pay a lot of attention to gently stretching and maintaining range of motion, maybe using some light resistance stretchy bands, alternating ice and heat. Pushing through the pain doesn't work when your shoulders are shot. I've read a number of posts on this forum over time from those with youthful exuberance, macho, and ignorance who say as much as I'll be dead before I get into a power chair. The trouble is these people won't be dead, but their shoulders will be and they will wish they were dead rather than endure the incredibly disabling, unrelenting, mind numbing pain that worn out shoulders cause.

All the best,
    GJ
    I hear what you're saying.............

Is this always necessarily the case? Does noone manage being a paraplegic with full arm use, all their life?

Comment

Originally posted by gjnl View Post
      When you get to the point of shoulder pain and injury that most here are talking about, it is long past time to put away the weights and give up the manual wheelchairs. It is time to pay a lot of attention to gently stretching and maintaining range of motion, maybe using some light resistance stretchy bands, alternating ice and heat. Pushing through the pain doesn't work when your shoulders are shot. I've read a number of posts on this forum over time from those with youthful exuberance, macho, and ignorance who say as much as I'll be dead before I get into a power chair. The trouble is these people won't be dead, but their shoulders will be and they will wish they were dead rather than endure the incredibly disabling, unrelenting, mind numbing pain that worn out shoulders cause.

All the best,
      GJ
      Do you put cardio fitness or shoulder fitness first? If I ask my insurance company for a van and power chair now the wouldn't give it to me and it would restrict my activities tremendously.

this is such a difficult issue.........

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post
        Do you put cardio fitness or shoulder fitness first? If I ask my insurance company for a van and power chair now the wouldn't give it to me and it would restrict my activities tremendously.

I definitely put shoulders first because we need them to maintain any degree of independence. Cardio issues, while important, can be managed in many ways, including a healthy diet and maintaining a healthy weight, but the shoulders, once shot, are a lifetime of pain and limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by bcsimpsons View Post
          Yes Art your right, only 7 years. I think a lot of the reason that they bit the dust so quick was because my house is not adequately accessible. Every night and day I have to get myself up and down 20 stairs atleast once a day. There is not enough room at the top of these stairs to use my chair so I need to just drag myself around when I get up there. The bedrooms are up on this floor. I have tried staying on the main floor and sleeping on the couch but my back hurts so much the next day that I cant do that. It completely sucks!!

Becky
          That totally sucks, Becky. I use to live in a two story home, but I had a lift. It broke down a few times, and I had to crawl up & down. I have arthritis in my shoulders, but celebrex helps immensely. I was diagnosed with arthritis just after three years post injury. Every once in awhile I have to go in a for a cortisone shot. I try to keep those to a minimum.
          Incomplete T-12/L-1

Comment

my shoulders were doin good 9 yrs post til i started trying transferring without my board. i could hop in an out of bed pretty easy but then both shoulders started killing me. i still use my manual chair but i have to take it easy. xrays showed no arthritis, i dipped out on the mri. so i'm assuming i tore something in both shoulders. its been about a year and they're not healing, still awful pain especially when i hold my arms out and lift straight up.

Comment

Originally posted by Christopher Paddon View Post

Christopher, I have talked with my cardiologist about trying to do cardio workouts as a complete quad. He feels that I can not get enough cardio work with my arms and shoulders to keep the heart fit. Your arms just don't have the massive muscles that legs and buttocks have and no matter how much you do with arms, your workout is always going to be insufficient to promote ideal cardio health. That said, you can do all the other things that promote heart health to help make up for the fact that you can not do adequate physical exercise, i.e., maintain normal weight, watch salt intake, don't smoke, drink in moderation, maintain healthy levels of cholesterol and triglycerides, monitor blood pressure and if necessary take medications to reduce high levels.

All the best,
              GJ

Comment

Working...
              X