No announcement yet.

Nerve pain & being over-medicated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't take pain meds the 1st 30yrs. I gave up and feel I went to college, worked, etc but snapping femurs have me crying uncle the last 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkus View Post

When I was on the lyrica everybody looks the same!

Be Big,
      AMAC
      too funny

I am takin 60mg of Cymbalta, 50 mg Topomax and 50mcg Fetnyl patch for my pain and it works "ok" but not great. Neurotin at 1200 mg was not good for me and all my hair was starting to fall out due to it. Ambien will help with sleep.
      I have a spinal cord injury...a spinal cord injury DOES NOT have me!

walking quad-Central Cord Syndrome

Comment

I have had so many different meds for pain/ nerve issues the past three years that I am just about mad -like everyone else. It helps to have a Doc that listens and can understand. At first I think he thought I took them just to feel good, but after he saw me a few times, he knew I NEEDED them to function. I was able to start my msters program and brought him in my first round of grades -all A's and I think he made a mental note that I was doing just fine with the dosage at my own level. My HHNurse seems to think that I should not feel anything at all and disaproves of me taking the percocet. BUT she just does not understand that I still feel things esp the tingles/electric shock waves and constant humming in my torso and legs. I have recently been trying zanaflex and it works well, but need a stronger dose I think. Neurontin just sucked and it actually does have bad side effects for most users. each one of us are different and we just have to be able to talk and communicate with our Docs about what we think would work for us. I know a lot of you have Docs that wont take suggestions and insight from patients -find the right Doc and you will notice a big change. My Doc has called me on the phone twice now to ask a little info about me since he got a new SCI patient who is older and not very communicative. Gee, maybe I should send him a bill! LOL No, really, he has a great personality and really cares about what I feel and think.

Comment

What a lot we are.

Comment

Does anyone find their nerve pain cycles? Acupuncture also helps me...I've found Neurontin to be of very minimal help, sometimes I just have to ride it out and hope it's better the next day.

Comment

This is an old thread but...

I tried 3mg klonopin (I have a high tolerance
              And it worked.! Pain is still there but is barely noticeable)

Comment

Originally posted by jbridges9 View Post
                This is an old thread but...

I tried 3mg klonopin (I have a high tolerance
                And it worked.! Pain is still there but is barely noticeable)
                Must have been placebo effects.. Only worked twice

Comment

I have horrible pain in the buttocks area. I've noticed it gets worse if I have to go or have an infection so I try to rule that out first. Do try exercising and staying busy to get your mind off it. I tried increasing my neurontin but I didn't feel a difference so I'm sticking with 200mg X 3 daily. I also take 60mg cymbalta, amytriptilin and occasional percocet when at my worse. Getting off my butt gives some relief so I try that and sleep on my side at night. Did your pain worsen over time? Joni Eareckson-Tada has tremendous pain in the hips due to much time in the chair. I def. sympathize this is a tough hurdle to overcome.

Comment

I tried it for pain once, and it did help some, but only for a couple weeks. Seemed to me I'd have to keep ramping up every week, and then what happens when you're taking max dosage? So I stopped it.

Originally posted by jbridges9 View Post
                    Must have been placebo effects.. Only worked twice
                    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
                    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                    X