No announcement yet.

OTC Sleeping Pills ok?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnesium, melatonin, valerian, from the supplements aisle.
    Blog:
    Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Baron, if you want to try something safe......try the melatonin. My grandson uses it every nite. It's doctor ordered and he takes two before bedtime. It does make him sleepy.

Comment

i dunno what melatonin is but my experience with all OTC sleep aids i've tried made me feel groggy as hell the next day.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymtn memories View Post
          Baron, if you want to try something safe......try the melatonin. My grandson uses it every nite. It's doctor ordered and he takes two before bedtime. It does make him sleepy.
          DO NOT use melatonin if you are taking any of the antidepressant class drugs that works on the Seratonin part of the brain. It can cause a seratonin storm which is supposed to be quite nasty.

Rule of thumb, never take any OTC meds, supplements without first running it past your pharmacist. I had a doctor tell me to take Glucosime condraite so I went to purchase it at the pharmacy. The pharmacist said, wait a moment, he looked up my profile because he remembered I go into antaphalictic shock from shell fish. Glucosomine is made from ground oyster and clam shells. The doctor was well aware and totally missed the danger.
          Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

I used Ambian, it worked for 4hrs., 'til about 2 or 3 a.m. then wide-eyed awake watching TV 'til my husband woke up at 7 or 8 a.m. to get me out of bed. Went to generic Tylenol PM I finally got to sleep all night! But, found if I took it more than a week I slept fewer and fewer hours. So, would take Ibuprophen PM for a few nights and switch back to Tylenol PM. Worked for awhile. Then my GP suggested Trazadone. First night I slept all night! I couldn't roll over as I could before with the use of bed rails due to major body rigidity. In the morning I felt really groggy. The next 2 nights NO SLEEP at all and could not roll over those two nights from the rigidity. Major grogginess in the morning again. Switched back to my Tylenol PM and back to normal now! If you have allergies OTC antihistamins work well to make me drowsy enough to sleep.
            "What has happened, has happened; What I am going through, I shall rise above; And what will come, I will meet with courage"~Hazrat Inayat Kahn

Comment

Good advice Cheese, I forgot that every supplement I take has been doctor approved. And, Nathan's Melatonin was doctor approved..... Just not safe to assume anything!

All it takes is a quick phone call to your doc to make sure it's safe!

Comment

I have taken melatonin 3 times, and although it makes me sleepy, it makes it hard to wake up in the morning. I also feel more tired and run down the next day.

Not sure that I'll use it again unless I really really can't fall asleep. :-/
                If there is light
                it will find
                you

--Charles Bukowski

Comment

Benadryl.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas and such. I finally got my sleep schedule back to "normal". Without and specific sleeping meds. It wasnt so much that i couldnt get to sleep, but that my cycle was reversed.
                    Peace
                    B
                    Has it been five years yet? ..........

Comment

I use a melatonin/valerian blend. If it's really bad, I also drink a cup of sleepy tea about 1/2-1 hour before bed. The two combined help calm my brain down enough that I can sleep. Definitely run it by your pharmacist before starting anything new, though.

The best "sleepy tea" I've ever used is made by Yogi Tea.

Comment

Originally posted by jgrant27 View Post
                        I use a melatonin/valerian blend. If it's really bad, I also drink a cup of sleepy tea about 1/2-1 hour before bed. The two combined help calm my brain down enough that I can sleep. Definitely run it by your pharmacist before starting anything new, though.

The best "sleepy tea" I've ever used is made by Yogi Tea.
                        Thanks, Im gonna look for "sleepy tea" when I go shopping tomorrow. Sounds good and I love tea.

Comment

Why would a sleeping pill make you hyper?

Comment

My take on it is that everyones body chemistry is different. What works for some may not work for others. It has kind of scared me to take them, as i dont want to become dependent on any other drugs that im not already on. Nor want them to make me hyper. I was on ambien through "rehab" and out and although i guess it did help me sleep, It caused me crazy nightmares and dreams, as well as made me groggy and forgetful. So i stopped taking it.
                            I think others explained it as well, and probably better, early into this thread.
                            Peace
                            B

Comment

Originally posted by dermajuv View Post
                              Why would a sleeping pill make you hyper?
                              also i see you are new to this forum, with little info about yourself, Do you have an SCI, or are you just another "bot" that has been invading our site?
                              I really hope someone can figure out a way to stop all this spam!! It makes me sad.
                              anyway if your not a "bot". Welcome.
                              peace

Comment

I've taken both ambien and lunesta. Both effective at first but that quickly faded. Now i take a shot of zzzquil 1-2x a week. It's OTC, not addictive, and when you wake up your not drowsy. I find it more helpful then the prescription meds. Plus it's 1 less med you put in your body.
                                Hope this helps

Comment

Working...
                                X