No announcement yet.

a book: The Pain Chronicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Holly, how great to read this backstory and hear about your interaction with the author! My copy will be delivered tomorrow and I can't wait.
    MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Cass, thanks again for bringing this book to our attention. My copy arrived yesterday and I can't put it down - it's excellent, very accessible and it covers a huge amount of material without skipping a beat. I like the format, in which the author's story is interspersed with related chapters - and the book has an index, which a work of this kind really needs. I understand my central pain (and the rationale behind treatment theories) better now.
      Last edited by Bonnette; 09-22-2010, 01:30 PM. Reason: added a sentence

Comment

i am glad to hear other ppl's input, esp. holly (who knows the author) and those that actually thought my opinion counted. one never knows when recommending a book, but i couldn't let this one go. i HATE reading about pain, and almost never do (to the point of avoiding this forum) but when i went to audible.com and this book popped up, i had to dl it. i am grateful to the author for such a book.

on a personal note, right now i hurt so badly i am ready to do anything to stop it. been going on at this level for days and days and i think i am going crazy from it. somebody help us all. it is a killer.
        Last edited by cass; 09-24-2010, 01:06 AM.

Comment

Right, it is relentless and sometimes it cranks up for no apparent reason and stays at the same pitch for such a long time. It would be nice if we had the same kind of access to pain clinics and new techniques that the author of the book has.

Comment

I just couldnt read this book right now. I think it is my concentration issues due to pain though. I am having trouble reading anything right now.

I at least tried. Hopefully at another time and hopefully soon, I will be able to pick it back up again and actually finish it.
            T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

I am now about half way through 'The Pain Chronicles" and think it quite an amazing book. She does a great job of delving into the history of pain, the scientific advancements that change perceptions practially overnight (as in TB) and the influence of religious beliefs on how pain should be (or not be usually) addressed. The individual stories will ring familiar to many of us who deal with daily pain, and the confusion and doubt expressed by some in the medical field.

Comment

Working...
              X