walking quads/paras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• walking quads/paras

ok so with no hip flexor or hamstring on my crappy side (shitty swing phase) but good stance phase (better glutes, soleus, and quads) im starting to get bad back pain (S1, S2, sacro iliac)

i also have shitty gluteus meteus (outer side of butt) which then affects my hip stability..

anyone else get pain from a shitty gait?

if so, what do you do about it?
    c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Stretch, massage, painkillers, rinse and repeat.

Comment

massage, percussion massager, ice pads, heat pads, epsom salt baths, and stretching (I've made up my own floor yoga to stretch those glutes).

and yes, back when I was a walker, I had TONS of pain due to a crappy gait. one side stronger and therefore making up for the weak side. the stronger side hurt a lot.

Comment

I have weak glut med/min and hamstring and completely flaccid below the knee on one side and have reverted to walking with a cane due to back/SI and hip joint pain and pathology. Adductors get very tight which pulls femur in and is starting to effect the hip joint (after only 3 years) so stretching is pretty important. As I'm pretty active I also find I need to get a physio and/or good massage every week to keep everything under control. Core stability work is also helpful.

Comment

Got to start stretching as often as I did before.

With pain killers I avoid unless I can't bear it anymore cus the pain is still there, I just can't feel it

What a torture. Blessed with the ability to walk, with pain all over

Comment

stretching, rest often, or sometimes a muscle relaxer if I get jumpy muscle from fatigue. that helps the charliehorse feeling later. a hot bath with epsom salt for sore muscles.

Comment

What do you use for walking, one cane, 2 canes, forearm crutches, walker, shopping cart, all the above?

Comment

Just eat oxycontin, oramorph, MST & diazepam......
                C-5 incomplete , walking with crutches. In controlled pain. Respect to all SCI people.

Comment

was told the other day by a lady in a wheelchair that at least I could walk. didn't know what to say.
                  tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

Comment

I have TM its just a year. walking with a walker around 200ft it was in the t11 12 +in the conus, have most bladder + bowel back the ankel has nothing so i wear afo. i have feeling in my feet but my balance is not good. what can i do to get balance so i can get out of the chair for good

Comment

Originally posted by arndog View Post
                      What do you use for walking, one cane, 2 canes, forearm crutches, walker, shopping cart, all the above?
                      1 fore arm crutch. thats all i use, plus the bioness l300

Comment

I am going to throw this concept out. When you walk with just one forearm crutch, there are inevitable asymmetry in one's gait. That could make your back hurt more. At least this has been my experience. Using 2 crutches symmetrically keeps your back in a more neutral position and lessens this problem. Plus you can go faster and farther with less effort. Yes, it is a pain in the rear to deal with 2 crutches rather than one , and you can't carry a cup of coffee and walk, but it might result in less back pain.
                        I would also want to know if there was any anatomical problem that needs to be addressed by a spine doctor, such as nerve impingement. Or a facet problem. If not, then I would work with a good PT concerning a symmetric, spine neutral gait using 2 crutches. Also do everything possible to strengthen core stability that will protect your spine. There is a good progression of isometric exercises that any PT worth their salt can review with you.
                        There, I got that off my chest. I feel better! Good luck !

Comment

I am sorry i posted in the wrong place..... i seen walking paras\ quads + did not see walking with pain....... i am not so good with this computer stuff.

Comment

Thanks arndog. My free hand is my gimp hand. But I know what you mean by asymmetry. Ugh its inevidable because my hip flexor is shit on my affected side but exstensors are much stronger. My pt said that the imbalance would be enough for hip and pelvis imbalance therefor pain

Has anyone tried back 2 life? I'm tempted

Comment

Originally posted by da lurker View Post
                              was told the other day by a lady in a wheelchair that at least I could walk. didn't know what to say.
                              That is not an uncommon comment.
                              It's all part of the "hierarchy" of disabilities.

I stretch use gabapentin, Valium when needed but the bottom-line is it still always freaking hurts.

Rest and avoiding over heating also helps.

I have tried to stay away from the opiates as that can be a vicious cycle and also create secondary issues.

Be Big,
                              AMAC
                              L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
                              http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

Working...
                              X