No announcement yet.

walking quads/paras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it is one of those damned if you do damned if you dont situations. I workout and walk but the working out causes more pain. If I dont workout then I am in pain and cannot walk well. Either way there is pain but rather be mobile than sitting in pain.

Comment

Originally posted by TMAZ View Post
      I think it is one of those damned if you do damned if you dont situations. I workout and walk but the working out causes more pain. If I dont workout then I am in pain and cannot walk well. Either way there is pain but rather be mobile than sitting in pain.
      You just summed up my life.

Be Big,
      AMAC
      L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
      http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

TMAZ- you summed up my life too.
        Arndog

Comment

Originally posted by Tarkus View Post
          That is not an uncommon comment.
          It's all part of the "hierarchy" of disabilities.
          sometimes i feel like ive failed at being disabled,
          tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

Comment

sometimes its a hard decision for me
            tom

Welcome to The Flat Earth Society

Comment

find a balance! it may not be pretty but with any double edged sword, you must find a balance

same goes for baclofen
              c5/c6 brown sequard asia d

Comment

Originally posted by da lurker View Post
                sometimes i feel like ive failed at being disabled,
                LOL !

I always joke that a incomplete injury fit in perfectly with the rest of my life , I never finish anything............

Be Big,
                AMAC
                L4/L5 CES

www.DRAFT.cc
                http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1024602574

Messages from Alan Maccini and are produced utilizing voice recognition software. As a result of this on occasion a misrecognition of a word will occur and while spelled correctly will result in an unintended word appearing. We apologize for any errors.

Comment

da lurker

Yes, the comment you were lucky you weren't in a wheelchair is, as Tark says, a phenomenon of the "hierarchy of disablities". It can get bad. Sort of like an argument over religion. Best not to say anything. Keep a double watch on the tongue with anyone in a wheelchair who does not have central pain. They are not uncommonly one of the hardest sells on the idea pain matters. Not uncommonly they have mechanical pain from their injury and they think THAT is central pain.

People react when their dignity or interest is touched. I know a person who marches in fourth of July parades, wears his uniform and medals as a war hero, who never left the states, never saw combat, ate well, and experienced no disadvantage whatever. Yet, he speaks constantly of his service to his country. I expect him to run for office any day, based on his record. Anyway, it is a losing proposition to get into a hierarchy of disabilities. All other social propositions in central pain are also losing battles, so this one is no different.

The only battle you will win, is if as you observe your own body torturing you, you do not give up. Anything above and beyond that is all gravy. Actually, it is okay to give up, as long as you realize that in the morning or the next day, you will be better. If you find yourself worse, then merely repeat the cycle. Eventually you will have a day that is better, or at least, no worse .

Comment

was told the other day by a lady in a wheelchair that at least I could walk. didn't know what to say.
                    there is no at least to anything
                    dont trip

Comment

Originally posted by jerkens View Post
                      ok so with no hip flexor or hamstring on my crappy side (shitty swing phase) but good stance phase (better glutes, soleus, and quads) im starting to get bad back pain (S1, S2, sacro iliac)

i also have shitty gluteus meteus (outer side of butt) which then affects my hip stability..

anyone else get pain from a shitty gait?

if so, what do you do about it?
                      Try a TENS machine. I just discovered the relief they offer today. I just hope the effect lasts.

Comment

was told the other day by a lady in a wheelchair that at least I could walk. didn't know what to say.
                        I usually get that comment from people who have nothing wrong with them. They say, "well at least you didn't end up paralyzed" or of course "at least you can walk". I had a PT say that to me yesterday during therapy, not my PT but one of the others. He was asking me if I was ok or something, as he just usually sees me limping and stumbling around i guess but not aware of what is wrong with me. I usually just say "yeah thanks I'm aware of that".

I am sure I could take those remarks much easier from someone in a wheelchair than someone who has nothing wrong with them. Because then they would know what they were talking about and I am grateful I can walk. I don't feel guilty I can walk, but I am grateful. Even if I do limp, stomp and crumble.

Comment

Beautifully stated. That's been my experience, as well.
                          MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Dude!
                            I can totally relate!!
                            Everyone tells me how lucky I am to be walking, if they really knew how painful my hips and kidney pain is. (T6-7)
                            Heading for Drez surg Dec 7, I just can't take this anymore!

Comment

SI Belt

I have really weak hip flex/exte. L1 burst fracture. A lot low back and hip pain from walking. I recently started PT again and have tried a SI belt. It works wonders. Steadys my gait, gives balance, reduces pain. I feel more stable walking and have decreased the amount of pain I was having from walking. It is lightweight and stays in place. You wear it under your clothes. If you want to check it out let me know and I can post a link. I have it posted in another link but not sure what it is under.

Comment

Medic1, I saved the link from another post...here it is.
                                MS with cervical and thoracic cord lesions

Comment

Working...
                                X