No announcement yet.

Starting LYRICA today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been on 3x50mg lyrica for 3years. It is the best meds I have found for pain. I also take tramadol 5mg up to 4x a day as needed. Give the lyrica at least 4 to 7 weeks to start working well. I have had very little side effects.
    Good luck
    Semper fi

Comment

Originally posted by swh2007 View Post
      I use Ultram 200 Extended Release for other pains but my dr. told me it would help some with the neuropathic pain, and I use Tramadol 50 for breakthrough pain, but usually always 12 hours after I take the Ultram. If I don't take the Ultram, I always get horrible neuropathic pain about 6 hours later. Not the same if I forget to take the Lyrica. I don't really notice the blurred vision but I did gain 15 pounds. But I also overate, and yes for sure it does make me retain water if I eat something salty. I've lost about 1/2 of the weight gain.

I have a hard time figruing out whether the concentration issues relate to a concussion I had in my accident, the left over pain, fatique, stress or the Lyrica. I was having a hard time with concentration before I started taking it. It does make me sleepy sometimes.
      That's what I'm on as well, Tramadol 50 mg. The more people I hear of that has some good results with few side effects from the Lyrica, the better I feel. If you read some of the personal comments on some of these sites for the Lyrica alone, it'll scare you half to death. So thanks so much for your post.

Regarding your concentration issues, I've certainly read that the Lyrica can cause that, but with everything you've listed, it sounds like a combination to me. Have you mentioned it to your doctor?

So how did you lose your 15 lbs? Low carbs, low fat, low calories alone?

KK

Comment

Originally posted by Semper Fi View Post
        I have been on 3x50mg lyrica for 3years. It is the best meds I have found for pain. I also take tramadol 5mg up to 4x a day as needed. Give the lyrica at least 4 to 7 weeks to start working well. I have had very little side effects.
        Good luck
        Semper fi
        More positive notes.... awesome. I will give it as long as possible to work for me. I just hope I can work and function on it. I have to make a living, and this is what has me concerned more than anything else. I'm excited to try it, though.

Thanks much!

KK

Comment

Hi all! New guy here. I have been taking a combo of lyrica and tramadol for about 3 years. It is the only solution I have found in more than 25 years. Lyrica does make you gain weight, I have fighting the pounds back but it is hard since my job is sedentary.
          Just my 2cents,
          John

Comment

I just quit eating as much and starting watching the fatty foods. Low (as opposed to normal) carb diets are dangerous!

Concussion, pain, fatigue, stress, meds......as to concentration the doctor can't separate them and neither can I. I can't really tie it to when I do or do not take meds.
            2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
            Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

No noticeable side effects as of yet.... still get the stabbing pains BUT it seems the smaller ones are slightly less, like if you would put a sheet over something, it still hurts but cover'd a little.... but I'm giving it alot more time before I will say if it works or it just in my head....

And Yes I had a Dr, tell me it's all in my head one time..... corn hole !

Comment

Dr's a sh-thead. Let him get a pain like you have and he'd be crying to any and every body.
                Now,,,, that off my chest, I was on Lyrica almost from the day it came out, it was a God-send. It worked on my legs immediately. I had been on huge doses of neurontin, but Ly did the trick. Until last year, finally got tired of the swollen feet and face(on pred. too) I quit it, and had helashish side effects, didn't sleep for 1 week, then fitful rest, but about 3 weeks later- fine , lsot 20 lbs and kept it off, and working out at the gym, to lose more. Good luck, hope it works!~

Comment

I haven't been on it for very long but it "seems" to be working. When I do get a group of hard pains they are not as harsh.... the little ones I get most of the day have all but gone....

Taking way less Tylenol... thank God !

BUT ! now I'm feeling better I went outside and did some yard work and my lower back hurts.... and I dont have any pain meds for that anymore....

But its a kind of pain I cant deal with, but I cant deal with them nerve pains.... so its seems I'm getting better !

Comment

I'm glad it's helping

Comment

That's awesome news, Mike. I'll begin my trial with it starting over the weekend. Keep us posted!

Comment

Good for you Mike. Lyrica clearly works for me. How are you doing with the side effects? What dose are you on now?
                        Last edited by arndog; 01-15-2010, 07:45 PM. Reason: misspelling

Comment

Started Lyrica myself yesterday, I'm hoping it helps for me like it did for you. I'm taking 50mg twice a day and so far the only thing I've noticed is I'm tired, REALLY tired. I think I've slept 18 of the last 24 hours. I'm pretty sensitive to the sedating effects of drugs but I hope I get used to this.

Comment

Wow, nasty flare-up today. I want to stick with it but ouch! Mike did the pain get worse for you before it got better? Has anyone taken both Neurontin and Lyrica at the same time?

Comment

I think my doctor had me finish my bottle of Neurontin before I started the Lyrica. I think they are both in the same family of drug, but the Lyrica worked better for me. It did not start working immediately (I think it has to build up in the bloodstream) and I still have flare ups all of the time. But, generally, the Lyrica plus the other stuff I take (Ultram-tramadol) keep the base line of pain lower and more livable. I hope this helps a little.
                              2012 SCINetUSA Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
                              Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

Lazio - you started at 50mg twice a day which is a low dose. The reason to start with that dose may be to ease into the drug so the side effects won't be as bad. It may be that 50mg twice a day therapeutically is too low for you and your physician may move you up to 75mg or 100 or 150 mg twice a day over the next few weeks. Did your physician give you instructions to increase the dose on your own?
                                So be patient. I think expectations are another issue. It has been my experience that Lyrica doesn't get rid of every bit of burning and zinging. Not in the least. But if I look at the overall picture , I am way better off with less burning and zinging on it than off it. I have taken 'drug holidays' to see if any of the meds are really helping and I keep going back to Lyrica. At the end of the day, I am better off being on the med.
                                I hope this helps....
                                good luck
                                arndog

Comment

Working...
                                X