Gabapentin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gabapentin

Just started on Gabapentin. 1800mg daily and only side effects so far is a thick tongue. My speach sounds like I've been drinking a bit. Has anyone been on this long term?

I took it for 3 years and finally came off it over the past month. I'm still not over it. Was sick as a junky coming off smack for the better part of 2 weeks. Having my mind as well as my pain back I'm not sure I'll ever sacrifice the former for the latter again. Turns out it didn't work well for me as I'm finding my pain is still similar off the drug. Some ppl report becoming accustom to the mental fuzziness over time but I didn't. It was hard to appreciate having been on it for so long, but now I'm done with it I'm pleasantly surprised just how much more focus and presence I have during the day.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

Comment

Many people use it long-term, with varying degrees of success and tolerance.

Comment

I take 800 mg four times a day for my nerve pain. You get used to it. If you want to come off just decrease one pill a day for a week and go from their.
        Best Regards

Comment

i've been on max dosage of gaba for almost 9 years now (900mg 4X's daily) plus sometimes take an extra 600mg's if pain is unbearable. cloudy headed? yes, but i know i'd be worse off pain wise w/o it.. especially no winters comin, im feeling the pain worsen.. also noticing the effect of the gaba is not as painreleaving as it use to be. but, it takes the edge off.

Comment

Originally posted by khoac6 View Post
            i've been on max dosage of gaba for almost 9 years now (900mg 4X's daily) plus sometimes take an extra 600mg's if pain is unbearable. cloudy headed? yes, but i know i'd be worse off pain wise w/o it.. especially no winters comin, im feeling the pain worsen.. also noticing the effect of the gaba is not as painreleaving as it use to be. but, it takes the edge off.
            Depending on individual factors, a number of people take more than 3600mg of Neurontin per day when it's used for neuro pain, if you're able to tolerate it. It's a serious drug, consult carefully with your doctor before trying anything like this.

Comment

I take it at night, but am going to ask about increasing it to a daytime dose, too. Maybe that'll help. I've been on it for 4 years now & it helps with my neuropothy, so maybe an increase (with my doc's blessing only) would help the CES pain?

Comment

i took it for about 2 weeks itched like crazy i quit taking it my mom takes and loves it

Comment

I've been on Gabapentin for about 2 years. I can't tolerate 1800 mgs/day...it makes me stupid. I take 1200 mgs. That dosage takes the edge off and I can still think.
                  "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Comment

I've been on it since 11/04 900mg x 4. I did go off of it for 11 months and switched to Lyrica. When I came off the neurontin, I felt asthough the fog lifted from my mind. I went to the Cleveland Clinic for an intense 4 week at their pain clinic (8 hrs/day). The Dr took me off Lyrica (horible weight gain)and my balance improved....and was switched back to baclofen. Now being back on neurontin I don't experience the mind fog. As a side note....as they increased the neurontin back up to 3600 mg/day, they took me off baclofen and my strength improved. They also took me off ellavil and switched to maprotiline. Their pain clinic is amazing.

Comment

Funny seeing this post today. I was at 2400mg/day and decided to just go off it cold turkey (not recommended I know). My pain has increased significantly over the last six to nine months and it seems like the neurontin isn't even touching it. So I figured what the hell, and stopped taking it this week. The pain is about the same as a typical bad day (which is really bad I might add). I don't like the side effect either, so I'm going to see if I can deal with it for now.
                      Last edited by Lazlo; 8 Oct 2009, 5:10 PM.

Comment

It can take the edge off but after takingLyrica,it doesn't compare.

Comment

hi,

I was on Gabapentin for four years until November 2. I got up to 3600 then down to 3100 that was the best I could do for a long time. I tried Lyrica last year but quickly got off of it due to weight gain. Last month I decided to try to move over to Topomax. I quickly - maybe to quickly - got off the gabapentin 3100 to 0 from Oct 15 to Nov 2 and now 150 mg of Topomax. I went through a little hell last week so I decided to substitute a little Gabapentin in my daily drug habit. so I am now also taking 400 mg of Gabapentin and I seem to be doing okay. I see the pain clinic doctor on Nov 30 so I will probably get him to up my Topomax to 225 a day from 150 and then drop the Gabapentin totally.

I just think everyone is a little different and each of us will react a little different to the pain pills.

Geoffrey

Comment

I took it for seven years, 2400mg per day. I recently switched to Lyrica, 400mg per day.
                            Neither kept me pain free but the lyrica does make my days a little more on the bearable side. Have been able to sleep better on the lyrica so it obviousy helps my pain at bedtime.

Comment

Working...
                            X