Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PERCOCET vs. Oxycodone HCL - PLEASE help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PERCOCET vs. Oxycodone HCL - PLEASE help!

I have been taking Percocet [Oxycodone 5/325] for the past several months regularly due to a severe knee injury. My doctor today prescribed me Oxycodone HCL 5mg tablets.. 100 of them, actually. I am the type of person who gets very nervous when taking a new medication. I saw this forum, and signed up in hopes that I could find some assistance from other people who may have some sort of knowledge of the difference[s] the drugs have compared with each other.

I know that Percocet has tylenol in it, where as the ocycodone HCL does not. However, what does the HCL do for you pain wise is another thing that I'd like to know..

Thanks in advance for all the help.. I look forward to hearing some answers back.

The only difference between the two is presence or absence of tylenol. Both contain oxycodone hydrochloride. The HCl is not a separate medication, oxycodone HCl is only a more complete name for the oxycodone formula.

Comment

BL,
      I agree with dunwawry. The reason for the change may be the acetametiphen is hard on ones liver. After time, if it is indicated that you may be on the med for a length of time, it is a good change to make. The effects are the same except for the reduction in inflamation that the acet. may have been offering. You are probably using ice and heat to control that to some degree. Consult with the doc on occational use of inbruprophen or some over the counter non-steroidal anti-inflamatory drug for additional help when needed. I wouldn't do it without the docs ok. You may have had a bad lab test indicating liver problems. The dosage is the same as you have been taking. 5/325= 5mg oxy and 325 acet. Good luck with your injury. Hope you have a GOOD PT. They can perform great progress if your lucky to get a good one.
      One last thing...I am assuming by your post that you are kinda new to pain meds. After taking several months of Percs, you may have a little bit of a physical dependency. I offer this info so you can be knowledgable of the reality and not to scare you. 5mg is the smallest dosage they make and if you are following the script to the letter there shouldn't be a big problem. But drugs are insidious. At times they can actually cause more pain because your brain wants more. Read up, in here and elsewhere, on the reality of the med you're on. Used wisely, it can be a God send. Abuse it and you will not care for the bill that will come due. BTW, I'm just a regular guy in here. There are pros that can tell you the real deal. Good luck!!
      Last edited by snorp; 05-14-2009, 10:56 PM. Reason: add info
      No matter how cynical I try to be, I just can't seem to keep up with how bad things really are!

Comment

Originally posted by benevolentlaughter View Post
        I have been taking Percocet [Oxycodone 5/325] for the past several months regularly due to a severe knee injury. My doctor today prescribed me Oxycodone HCL 5mg tablets.. 100 of them, actually. I am the type of person who gets very nervous when taking a new medication. I saw this forum, and signed up in hopes that I could find some assistance from other people who may have some sort of knowledge of the difference[s] the drugs have compared with each other.

I know that Percocet has tylenol in it, where as the ocycodone HCL does not. However, what does the HCL do for you pain wise is another thing that I'd like to know..

Thanks in advance for all the help.. I look forward to hearing some answers back.

As was said, it's the same pill minus a ton of Tylenol. I used to also be on Percocet for my foot pain, but got switched to straight 5mg pills of Oxycodone and i personally noticed no difference, the doctor just didn't want me taking in so much Tylenol each day.

One thing to be careful of, Oxycodone can cause constipation. I noticed after some time taking Oxycodone that i started crapping bricks and needed to take in more fiber, drink more water, and i also started taking Docusate Calcium which is a crap softener.

Comment

If you get no pain relief with oxycodone HCL or without tylenol, some people chase down 1 tylenol AND 1 5 MG Oxycodone. I think the Tylenol helps a LOT. So much so I OFTEN take 1 Tylenol and a HALF of a Oxycodone with Tylenol and get a lot of relief. The Oxycodone with Tylenol is 325 MG so half a pill is about 160 of Tylenol, and about 2.5 MG of oxycodone and than 1 500 M of Tylenol. The total Tylenol is than about 660 with about 2.5 of Oxycodone or a half of percoset.

Comment

I miss taking that drug. I wasn't even in pain and I would request it. I would take one and then wait until I was allowed to have another one. I pulled a fast one on them, suckers.

Comment

i dont think you pulled a ''fast one''. i think they believed you were in pain and you just wanted the high. why brag about that??

god bless
              josh

sorry wasnt trying to get away from point of thread[subject].
              Many Blessings,
              Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

Originally posted by kkmay View Post
                I miss taking that drug. I wasn't even in pain and I would request it. I would take one and then wait until I was allowed to have another one. I pulled a fast one on them, suckers.
                And on behalf of all of us who NEED opioid meds to survive, thanks for nothing. You've just perpetuated the perception that we're all fucking drug seekers who don't really need pain meds. You have no idea how many people you've hurt by pulling a "fast one on the suckers" and then bragging about it here.

If this post was supposed to be some kind of joke, it isn't funny, especially in the Pain Forum.

Go back to your baseball games -- at least you don't hurt people with that past time.
                It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Comment

How can it be a joke if I was being serious? you guys are awfully sensitive.

Comment

They are sensitive for good reason. Apparently you are lucky enough to never have experienced continual, unrelenting excruciating pain.
                    In our experience, there is no high when opioids are taken responsibly for pain, for which they can work wonders (for some people). There is no excuse for misuse, which has resulted in many, many potentially responsible users being in unnecessary pain.
                    - Richard

Comment

Originally posted by rfbdorf View Post
                      They are sensitive for good reason. Apparently you are lucky enough to never have experienced continual, unrelenting excruciating pain.
                      In our experience, there is no high when opioids are taken responsibly for pain, for which they can work wonders (for some people). There is no excuse for misuse, which has resulted in many, many potentially responsible users being in unnecessary pain.
                      - Richard
                      AMEN (rfbdorf)!!! The reason we get "awfully sensitive" (kkmay) is cause YOU are going to be the reason why doctors stop prescribing pain meds to people like us that actually need it for pain! Do us all a favor a grow-up and don't come on a thread marked PAIN and brag that your not in it and still taking the drugs. its obvious you have issues and need a drug to feel better, cause like (rfbdorf) said when taking for the right reason, you don't get a high!
                      Ugh, people like you get me so upset! I have been accused for taking pain meds for a wrong reason and think why in the hell would a doctor think I would do that, and NOW I KNOW WHY!!!
                      God is good

Comment

guess ya just gotta be used to kkmays off the wall responses. he's just a nut.

i know exactly what you all are sayin. it's takin me forever to find a doc who trusts me enough to prescribe my percocets and mscontin.

Comment

Fuck it.
                          Last edited by kkmay; 05-31-2010, 11:19 PM. Reason: Annoyed.

Comment

Originally posted by kkmay View Post
                            How can it be a joke if I was being serious? you guys are awfully sensitive.
                            Yeah, of course we are.

YOU are the reason that it took me years to find a doctor that would properly treat my pain. YOU are the reason that I have to take a urine drug screen at my interventional pain doctor's office to make sure I'm not taking other illegal drugs. YOU are the reason that I have to see (and pay) my doctor every month just to refill my meds because the DEA won't allow automatic refills of my opiate pain med. YOU are the reason that people with chronic pain have the stigma of being a drug seeker or junkie.

Your post is old, but I just saw it and couldn't believe how insensitive someone could be. We are dealing with pain every day of our lives. If you want to get high, go smoke a joint or something, but stop scamming docs and making life difficult for real patients.

Comment

Real people with real pain

I'm coming in late to this forum but found it when I asked my doctor to take me off of Percocet, due to the Tylenol. I've had lumbar surgery/wore a body cast for 53 days. That surgery failed to fuse/also, my cervical spine deteriorated, which resulted in front surgery, which failed to fuse, then surgery from the back of the neck with two rods and 10 screws (which I would not recommend to anyone)--two pieces were taken from my hip/I don't smoke. This was followed by being hit from behind in a car accident and one more accident, which ruptured three T discs. I don't think anyone wants to touch this now..I've been to a pain clinic which would install a pain pump, but I'm thin/try to stay active, and it was recommended I try to just stay with my pain meds, because I'm so thin, they knew it would make a huge difference in my appearance (some day that won't matter). However, I'm listenting to this very honest doc, beausethe pain pump will be a last choice. I want to agree with whoever said that pain pills are for REAL pain patients only to take care of the pain. We try to live normal lives, which allow us to work and be normal. No real pain patient is in it for any high, because that does not happen, as it doesn't happen after you have meds for surgery/they go to the pain. Please, please stop stupidly running to doctors and asking for pain meds when you have no pain.

Comment

Working...
                              X