Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A blog about living with a spinal cord stimulator..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to add to this thread, I had a failed SCS from medtronics too. I also went through more than a dozen programming sessions to no avail. After the programming wasn't working, the surgeon who did my trial did a scan of my back and said the leads in my intrathecal canal had migrated. He told me I could have a surgery to fix it and that that's what was causing the problems. I traveled three hours to Boston to see the surgeon who implanted the device and he told me, no, the leads had not migrated. It was hard to know who to believe. The second surgeon told me to shut off the device, that I put in all reasonable effort, and that it was a failed procedure.

I had it done in April 2010. Now I need it removed, and have an evaluation at the end of the month back in Boston to see about taking it out. I have been having severe lumbar back spasms for the past two months, and apparently they could be caused by the lead wires irritating a nerve. It is pretty much impossible to know because CT imaging doesn't give a clear picture of the nerves, and the SCS prevents an MRI. I want the device out, but am not sure I can fit the surgery and recovery into the summer--the surgeon canceled my previous appointment which would have allowed time. I have plans to potentially start a graduate program in the fall, so things are up in the air.

I hope this helps people who are considering an SCS. They are really great for some people, but they definitely do not work for everyone, and when they don't work, you have to spend a lot of time and additional pain dealing with the fallout.
    In our world constituted of differences of all kinds, it is not the disabled, but society at large that needs special education...to become a genuine society for all. -Frederic Major, Former UNESCO Director General

Comment

Working...
    X