Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"How bad R U from 1 to 10?" arrrrrrrgh!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh yeh,
    On a scale of 1 to 10 it feels "super awful".
    I feel for you all. I'm in the same boat.
    Rich

Comment

Quadvet, you take a bit more per day than I do. So far they've got me up to 2400mg of the gabapentin. I don't really have any drowisness. Tired if I have a night of little to no sleep.

I had to stop driving before surgery, it took almost a year, but I can drive again. If the pain level gets too high I don't like to drive myself, or even move. That's why we're still working on the right combo.

In fact I was on a small dose of topamax that was doing pretty good and found out it's pretty expensive and I would run into the gap problem (medicare), so now I'm waiting to hear if my doctor has found a generic to try in it's place, it does'nt have one.

Good luck Conrad!

Comment

Pararich - it would really be humorous if your arm hurt (this is an attempt at a bad pun early in the morning before my coffee, sorry) - I know what you mean about comparing your current pain with the pain of the actual injury.
        Conrad - not of the meds we are all on will preclude you from getting a drivers license. Even narcs. If taken for chronic pain, you can drive legal is my impression. Whether you want to is another question. It is a long battle but if you keep fighting you will find a regime of meds and activity and philosophy that will 'get you through the day' with the pain.
        crppled007 - it is nice to see someone make progress. It is a funny pleasure that not many ABs can relate to. The pleasure of: "Not being in Pain" or "Only being in level 1-2 pain". I can relate. It is wonderful.
        smokeymtn - good luck with getting an alternative to the pricey Topomax. I still think contacting the drug rep is worth a shot....

Comment

I could try Arndog, but it did'nt do me any good with Lyrica.

We make too much money. Lord knows there was'nt much left when we had our own semi and I was still working! I guess it's one of those relative terms.

What did'nt help, they don't count expenses, only income.

Comment

conrad,
            i have been to the max of neurontin at 3600mg i didn't really notice any side effects. i have a high tolerance tho......just make sure to go slow, im sure you know.
            lololol, i know this is serious but this line above rhymes. wahooo im a poet.
            Many Blessings,
            Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

ooops looked different after i submitted, now you just start w/ --i have a high tolerance-- and so. grrhhhhh ruined my poem.
              Many Blessings,
              Josh

So we can say with confidence, The Lord is my helper, so I will have no fear. What can mere people do to me?" Hebrew13:6

Comment

how the fuck did u hit a train..i hurt all the the time also. insane can help with pain...sometimes. MOTHER FUCK!

Comment

life sucks. No man the train hit me technically, i was somewhere i shouldn't be on my dirtbike and it clipped me from behind.

i'll probably post the whole story, eventually.

but for now it just makes me hurt all over.
                  i hope that question was directed at me? if not, disregard.
                  When trains meet motorcycles, the motorcycle always loses.

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                    life sucks. No man the train hit me technically, i was somewhere i shouldn't be on my dirtbike and it clipped me from behind.

i'll probably post the whole story, eventually.

but for now it just makes me hurt all over.
                    i hope that question was directed at me? if not, disregard.
                    yeah, i got crushed by a truck. i was quite the mess. i'm on the couch today - my spinal fusion rods/scar tissue from 7 broken ribs is in a knot BAD. oh, i love the heating pad........my cat does, too. steve.
                    Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by steve garro View Post
                      yeah, i got crushed by a truck. i was quite the mess. i'm on the couch today - my spinal fusion rods/scar tissue from 7 broken ribs is in a knot BAD. oh, i love the heating pad........my cat does, too. steve.
                      Steve,
                      Does the heating pad help much with the pain, or just loosen you up?
                      thanks, conrad
                      When trains meet motorcycles, the motorcycle always loses.

Comment

NOTE TO ALL. IT LOOKS LIKE SANJAY GUPTA, A NEUROSURGEON IS GOING TO BE THE NEW SURGEON GENERAL. HERE IS A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO WRITE LETTERS.

Arndog

Jon,

Thanks for replying. I missed it and just now found it. I am curious about a couple of things. One is whether spinal hardware is worth anything. At least one kind was taken off the market when there were too many infections. My doc did not use a cage, plate or any screws. He used a wooden peg in a hole. Just kiiding. He took bone from my hip and did it all with mitering, fitting etc. Not long afterwards I started reading about people using the hardware and wondered if I had missed out on something. It sounds like I did not.

The reason I asked about the doxycycline is the infectious disease people don't like it for staph. It is supposed to have good tissue penetration of course and be a good medicine for chronic use. It works well for the enteric bacteria. However, due to the increase in methicillin resistant staph, doxy is coming under fire for not doing such a hot job.

I just wondered if there were any possibility they could actually get rid of the infection with something other than doxy. I have really terrible CP inside my mouth from my high cervical injury. It is at least double anywhere else and if I talk much or move my lips, it is certainly worse. I had a pin inserted in front to place a crown. Then I got an abscess right beside where they put in the metal pin. It was near enough to the coronal sinus, so I got serious about it. They tried doxycycline and it got worse. So I switched over to cephalexin and it got better. Your case was similar enough I just wondered. I have had a real problem with dental trouble since I started on the tricyclics. The dental journals say it is death to teeth. i am inclined to agree.

You must forgive me if my posts are harsh. I admire you for your positive attitude about nearly everything. However, that is just not me. I have something of a "wake up people" feeling about medical research.

I am the contrarian. If there is a RIGHT way to have Central Pain, I don't know what it is. I wouldn't make an attempt to be right anyway. I am the patient. I operate under the patients code, which says, the disease is what is wrong. If they cure it, I am already right.

I am too busy squeaking the door. it is not disrespectful to those who care for us to tell it to them straight. We are not here to fulfil their egos (although gratitude is always in order). We are here to help others who might have CP in the future. If a practitioner is clueless, we have the obligation to tell them what the real story is, in a nice way. I am not particularly nice, but I am educational. However, I do admire those who can still be nice, such as yourself. I am burning up. As the years rolL by, I feel nothing will ever happen, unless we really raise Cain. Yes, I know this goes against our upbringing, but something has to happen. I am interested in the infrastructure of the central nervous system. That is why I am writing the new president and asking him to consider it.

I must have written a dozen letters and made four or five phone calls to the justice department under the prior administration, asking them to draft guidelines for Central Pain as authorized under the ADA. Basically I wanted permission to wear shorts in public institutions (court etc). I never got a return letter. By staying on the phone for about an hour, on hold, I finally got through to a person, who could not have gone much past the third grade, who had no intention of doing anything, but just said to write a letter. When I told her I already had, she didn't seem surprised that no response had occurred. In other words, these ADA people are drawing their pay but are they doing anything?. I tried to get to a real lawyer in Justice, but found out most real legal work by that particular branch of justice seems to be farmed out to free lancers in Washington D.C., none of whom answer their messages.
                        Last edited by dejerine; 19 Jan 2009, 2:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dejerine View Post
                          NOTE TO ALL. IT LOOKS LIKE SANJAY GUPTA, A NEUROSURGEON IS GOING TO BE THE NEW SURGEON GENERAL. HERE IS A WONDERFUL OPPORTUNITY FOR US TO WRITE LETTERS.

You must forgive me if my posts are harsh. I admire you for your positive attitude about nearly everything. However, that is just not me. I have something of a "wake up people" feeling about medical research.

I am the contrarian. If there is a RIGHT way to have Central Pain, I don't know what it is. I wouldn't make an attempt to be right anyway. I am the patient. I operate under the patients code, which says, the disease is what is wrong. If they cure it, I am already right.

I am too busy squeaking the door. it is not disrespectful to those who care for us to tell it to them straight. We are not here to fulfil their egos (although gratitude is always in
                          Hi Dejerine,
                          You don't have to apologize at all. We need squeaky wheels and contrarians!

Doxycycline - this choice was determined by the UCSF infectious disease team and seconded by the Infectious Disease docs in my town of Reno, NV. It was based on the cultures, of course, which showed a highly sensitive staph epi, sensitive to 'everything'. The surgeons were very surprised that the cultures came back positive at all. There was nothing visually suggestive of infection. But , darn it, all routine cultures came back positive - I was so disappointed! How much more can the fates throw at me!
                          I was on IV methacillin and oral rifampin for a few months. Then on rifampin and doxycycline, and now on doxy forever. Sometimes I think ID docs consult the "Oracle of Delphi" to come up with their recommendations. But Dejerine, I was so overwhelmed with other post op issues like bowel obstruction and a pelvic hematoma pressing on my iliac vein that I didn't question them about the drug choice at the time.
                          I appreciate your point and I will talk to the ID guys about whether this is the best antibiotic choice for me. To bad there is absolutely no way to tell if the colonization is gone. They have followed my cRP and a sed rate which finally went to normal after the 5th post op month but that is pretty crude.
                          Well, take care,
                          Jon

Comment

Originally posted by conrad View Post
                            Steve,
                            Does the heating pad help much with the pain, or just loosen you up?
                            thanks, conrad
                            yes! both. allot of times they are the same thing, or at least hand-in-hand. it's nice to heat up & then do you ROM. many times, a nice long, hot shower will help me with spasms, too. steve.
                            Steve Garro. www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Comment

my pain

my pain is always horrible its feels like i have a sharp knife up my butt and throbs my pain level is always extremely high. Makes me wanna go out and slash my wrist! lol

Comment

wow, my nerve pain isn't nearly excruciating as many of you describe but it is constant and annoying to the point that I need to get in bed by 6. I take 200mg of neurontin 4 times a day. maybe due for a change. Many, many people suffer from chronic pain. When I feel like "why me!?" I try to remember that.

Comment

Working...
                                X