Spasms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spasms

Hi,my spasms is getting worst but for some reason i activate my spasms and then pulls up my leg. is this good news? where can i read about spasms?

Spasticity is when your muscles are tight or have hypertonicity. Spasms are involuntary movements. Are you taking medications for spasticity? These meds such as baclofen or tizanadine help more with spasticity than spasms.

Are you standing daily for at least an hour?
    Are you doing daily range of motion (ROM) exercises?
    Are you proning (laying on your stomach) at least an hour daily (or all night if possible)?

All of these things can help to control spasticity, in addition to using medications if it is severe.

Have you talked with your physiatrist about this? It is not unusual for spasticity to gradually get worse over the first year post injury. SUDDEN increase in spasticity may be a sign that something is wrong, such as a UTI, impaction, or skin breakdown.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

yes 2 all,why can i lift my legs with spasms?

Comment

You can have either or both extension (straightening) or flexion (bending) spasms. Some people actually can learn to trigger specific spasms to help with function such as transfers or turning in bed. It is not predictive of return, but handy if you can figure this out.

(KLD)
        The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

ok let me see how it goes and will keep you op to date. thank you

Comment

Working...
          X