No announcement yet.

Advive On 15yr Old Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am writing this as a mother of a son with a C 2/3 injury, which occurred in a wrestling accident. I can so clearly remember him lying in the ICU, tubes everywhere imaginable, unable to perform the simplest of tasks. He couldn’t breathe, eat, or scratch an itch on his own. If he were able to wrestle again, would I support it – NO WAY! Would my son do it again? NO WAY!!! Although his life changed that day, he is fortunate in that he recovered significantly and can walk without any assistance, can drive without hand controls, and he can pee on his own. But, that wasn’t the way it was in the beginning, and he would tell you straight up how much it sucked to be trapped in his body. He had a glimpse of Hell, and never wants to revisit it. People on this forum are giving you their opinions regarding your son returning to racing from their perspective. Anger isn’t driving their responses – the reality of living with a SCI is. Fortunately for your son, his injury was not catastrophic. But, believe me, had it been, your perspectives would be very different.

I agree with you that children should be involved in activities that they enjoy. I wouldn’t mind my youngest son wrestling, as his body hasn’t been changed by an accident. That’s what’s key here. After an injury like a fractured vertebra, the body is less able to take additional trauma without dire consequence. My son still is involved in fun activities, just not those that might lead to another stay in the ICU.

You must have had some serious doubts about your son racing again, otherwise you would never have written your original post. I always say go with your gut instinct. I know as a mother what mine always says – to protect my children.

Whatever your family’s decision, I wish you well.

Comment

Knucklehead, I am really curious about why you would supposedly "ask for advice" when your mind seems to have been made up from the start.

Comment

[QUOTE][QUOTE=KNUCKLEHEAD RACING]
        Originally posted by Wise Young
        Knucklehead Racing,
        Pros:

Cons:
        • He is 15 and he should be doing many other activities besides motorbike racing.

You say he should be doing other activities, lets see football, basketball, track, soccer, tennis, running, walking, golf. Seems to me that with all these sports there is a risk of sometype of fall in which he could break his neck and or back again. Well theres always video games and over eating and then society will look down on him for being over weight. My point is that I have given my boys then chance to try every sport they have interest in and there has even been times we have done 2-3 different sports in one season. I can't always protect him and I can only try. I can't keep a pillow under him 24-7.
        Knucklehead,

I understand your point of view. I noticed that the sports that you listed all have lower risk of spinal cord injury than motorcycle racing. I thought that I would compare the risk of spinal cord injury in motorcycle racing and other sports. Unfortunately, I was not able to find a definitive source of information concerning the risk of spinal cord injury in motorcycle racing. However, I hope that the following information is of interest and useful.

Many people are injured in motorcycle accidents every year. For example, in 2003, over 67,000 people were injured and another 3,661 died in motorcycle crashes ( Source). In 2003, at least 245 people who are <19 or less died in motorcycle accidents on public roads and an estimated 56,870 were treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms. However, on off-road accidents, 13 riders who were <19 years old died (Source) and 23,800 off-road motorcyclists under 19 were treated in emergency rooms in U.S. hospitals.

In 1998, the National Safety Council estimated that a motorcyclist has a 80-90% risk of injury or death in any accident. However, only 6% of motor vehicular accidents leading to spinal cord injury involved motorcycles in Wisconsin (Source). From 1988 to 2003 in Oklahoma (Source), motorcycle accidents accounted for 83 spinal cord injuries (only 7% of motor vehicle accidents).

According to 2004 JAMA article, motorcycles are involved in fatal crashes at the rate of 35.0 per 100 million miles of travel, compared to 1.7 per 100 million miles of travel in passenger cars. This suggests that the risk of fatality associated with motorcycle driving is approximately 20 times greater for motorcycles than for passenger cars. In Sweden, half of spinal cord injuries from motor vehicle accidents are due to motorcycle accidents (Source).

I was not able to find any published data on the incidence of spinal cord injury in motorcycle racing. In my search for this information, I found that motorcycle use and racing apparently is on the rise amongst U.S. Army personnel (Source) with corresponding increases in fatalities. Likewise, many prominent professional athletes ride motorcycles even though their contracts prohibit any activity that involve significant risk of personal injury. Over the past 10 years, 14 prominent NLF athletes had serious accidents (Source).

There is one study of the injuries amongst motorcycle racers. In 2005, Tomida, et al. in Japan (Source). interviewed 117 elite motorcycle competitors, including 36 road racers, 60 motocross racers, and 21 trail bike riders. These competitors reported 60 major injuries (25 in road racing, 32 in motocross, and three in trial bike riding). The most common injures were fractures (45), followed by ligament injuries (8), dislocations (5), and soft tissue injuries (2). The overall injury rate was 22.4 per 1000 hours. Note that this is a biased selection because any rider that had spinal cord injury or death would no longer be riding.

What is the risk of spinal cord injury in other sports? The National Center for Catastrophic Sport Injury (Source) collects and disseminates death and permanent disability sports injury data that involve brain and/or spinal cord injuries. They collected data from 20 major sports from 1982 to 2005. I compiled their data in the attached table, listing the fatal, non-fatal, serious, and total catastrophic (brain and spinal cord injury) cases in each sports from 1982-2005. I divided by the total participation rate during the period to obtain the injury rate per 100,000 (100K) participants (Source).

In absolute numbers, football contributed the most catastrophic injuries in the United States: 698 cases in the past 25 years. This is followed by track (67), cheerleading (58), baseball (55), wrestling (53), ice hockey (30), and skiing (29). Note that while the absolute number of injuries were small in certain sports, the rates of injury were very high for skiing (101/100K), equestrian (31.8/100K), ice hockey (3.93/100K), gymnastics (2.63/100K), football (2.10/100K), and lacrosse (1.42/100K).

According to Berkowitz (1998), sports and recreational activity account for 18% of spinal cord injuries in the United States (Source). Most sources list football, rugby, wrestling, gymnastics, diving, surfing, ice hockey, and downhill skiing (Source) as the ones with the highest risk for spinal cord injury. Certain sports not mentioned here have a very high risk of spinal cord injury. For example, bull riders sustain 37% of all rodeo-related injuries, more than participants in any other rodeo event. In Louisiana alone in 1994-1995, there were three cases of spinal cord injury from bull-riding (Source).

Because football contributes the largest number of spinal cord injuries, much attention has focused on it, with resultant decrease in the number of spinal cord injuries. The incidence of spinal cord injuries increased from 0.7 per 100,000 in the 1960's to 1.6 per 100,000 in the 1970's and declined to 0.4 per 100,000 in the 1980's due to safer practices (Source). The year 1990 was historic in that it was the first and only year since beginning of record-keeping in 1931 during which there was no direct fatality in football. 1994 had zero fatalities at the high school level and 1 at the college level. In 1995, there were four fatalities. But these numbers are low compared to 1968 when there were 36 direct football fatalities. During the 2005-06 school year, over 4.2 million high school students participated in football. In 2004, there were 19 direct catastrophic injuries in high school football, the lowest number since 1994. College football was associated with only one direct catastrophic injury in 2004, the lowest number since 1982. In addition to the direct fatalities in 2004, there were also ten indirect fatalities from heat stroke, lightning, and unknown. Three of the injuries resulted in no permanent disabilities, including one cervical spine fracture and two brain injuries with full recovery (Source).

Some sports have more severe spinal cord injuries than others. For example, although wrestling is not the top contributor of catastrophic injuries, most of the injured involve high cervical spinal cord injures. LIkewise, spinal cord injuries in football, gymnastics, and diving tend to involve the cervical spinal cord. Although not mentioned here, because it is not a popular sport in the United States, rugby is associated with a high incidence of cervical spinal cord injury as well. Finally, cheerleaders have a high incidence of spinal cord injury, contributing 58 catastrophic injuries in the past 25 years but I did not have an estimate of the number of cheerleaders to estimate the injury rate.

The sports with the lowest incidence of catastrophic injuries appear to be rowing (0.00/100K), tennis (0.00/100K), water polo (0.0/100K), cross country (0.01/100K), volleyball (0.02/100K), softball (0.04/100K), basketball (0.11/100K), and soccer (0.17/100K), The risk of catastrophic brain or spinal cord injury associated with these sports is 1000 times less than skiing (100.83/100K) or equestrian sports (31.76/100K).

Please understand that I am not opposed to people riding motorcycles or racing them. I use to ride a motorcycle (Bultaco 250cc Isle of Mann). On the other hand, I think that people who ride should understand the risk. I should point that some of our members are strong advocates of individuals with spinal cord injury and disability participating in motorsports. These include Tiger Racing (Source),

In summary, I was unable to find any specific statistics concerning spinal cord injury associated with motorcycle racing. In the United States, motorcycle accidents account for 6-7% of the spinal cord injuries from motor vehicular accidents. This risk is about 20 times greater risk of fatality for motorcycle riders than for passenger car drivers. If we assume that motorcycle racing is riskier than riding motorcycles in traffic, this would place motorcycle racing in risk category that is considerable greater than any other sports, with the exception of skiing and equestrian sports.

Wise.
        Last edited by Wise Young; 6 Jul 2007, 8:36 AM.

Comment

KnuckleHead~ Ultimately it is a personal and family decision.
          I wish you and your family well and safety for your son.
          Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

i was given this nightmare from a motorcycle accident. why is it most motorcycle accidents hurt the thorasic part of the cord? i might be wrong but it seems most here in bike wrecks have that injury.
            oh well

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
              why is it most motorcycle accidents hurt the thorasic part of the cord? i might be wrong but it seems most here in bike wrecks have that injury.
              Most here, but not all. I still consider myself extremely lucky tho' as my head-on collision could've been much worse.

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches. It's more like a jar of jalapenos--What you do today might burn your ass tomorrow.

If you ain't laughing, you ain't living, baby. Carlos Mencia

Comment

Originally posted by diane2
                Knucklehead, I am really curious about why you would supposedly "ask for advice" when your mind seems to have been made up from the start.
                No my mind is not made up, my sons is though. He does plan on racing but not for several months. I asked for advice because i had never dealt with this type of injury before and wanted as much info as possible to present to my son. I felt that hearing the information from people that have spinal issues would be better than hearing the ones that said "well I don't know much but if it was me". I'm not going to just come out and say NO you can't race, I want to make sure he has all the info. My quest does not stop here I also asked the same question on motocross sites.

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD RACING
                  My quest does not stop here I also asked the same question on motocross sites.
                  Good idea. How do the answers there compare?
                  C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Originally posted by RehabRhino
                    Good idea. How do the answers there compare?

Most are that if its what he loves and he knows what the outcome could be, let him race.

Comment

Originally posted by KNUCKLEHEAD RACING
                      Most are that if its what he loves and he knows what the outcome could be, let him race.
                      I kind of agree with that. He's had a taste of what could happen - maybe he'll race differently, maybe he won't. He may find he doesn't enjoy it but let him find that out.

I think the only reason to ban him were if he were at significantly greater risk than before.

How many SCIs injured in MVAs get back in cars? I know I would.

Life's too short..........an argument which fits both points of view in this thread depending on your perspective.

Good luck.
                      C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Originally posted by kenf
                        i was given this nightmare from a motorcycle accident. why is it most motorcycle accidents hurt the thorasic part of the cord? i might be wrong but it seems most here in bike wrecks have that injury.
                        I agree that most people who have spinal cord injury from motorcycle accidents indeed do have thoracic injuries. I am not sure why but can speculate. Because the rider is not restrained, the body usually flies forward (as the mortocycle itself hits an obstacle and stops). In most cases, the instinct of the person is to avoid hitting with his or her head. In such a case, the impact is usually to the shoulder or chest.

Injuries to the shoulders often result in avulsion of the brachial plexus (tearing of nerves that go from the spinal cord to the arm). This causes paralysis, loss of sensation, and usually severe neuropathic pain. There is very little treatment for this and it is a horrible condition, loss of use of one arm with pain. This is what they are planning to treat in London with OEG transplants.

Injury to the thoracic spinal column usually requires a great deal of force to cause spinal cord injury. Because the ribs support the vertebraes, ribs are usually broken. Because the forces are so great, such injuries tend to be quite severe, ending up typically with ASIA A. They either have severe injuries or relatively little neurological deficits.

Occasionally, the injury may involve the lower thoracolumbar spne. In such a case, the injury may be complex and may be ASIA C. Because spinal roots may be damaged instead of or in addition to the spinal cord, the neurological manifestations may be quite complex. I have discussed this before.

Wise.

Comment

I remember getting a sick to my stomach feeling when I couldn't take the every two day weekend of go-karts as well the expense of and state my approval for motocross instead (his father had raced and I liked the sport, love bikes, etc.). I remember meeting a man who lived near a track the kid raced, who had para injury but still allowed his son's to ride. I remember wanting to be selfish and getting the Nighthawk I was looking at instead of the new Yamy for the kid. I remember fearing the speed street bike he would get from his father, once graduated more than the dirt bike. I remember the day before my son's injury, his leaving the house, my hearing brakes from a car thereafter... I cringed at the thought of. But that wasn't what I was sensing. I remember thereafter stating how the kid has escaped even a minimal injury with all the different type racing and what have you during... I remember the next day worrying about his best friend and him being tired from a late night out and telling them to be extra careful because of it~ then the call.

I've often thought about what life truly tries to tell you. The connections we make throughout our lives and de ja vu's in retrospect... so many of them it's like I was being readied and warned? I will never forget the first time my son and I pulled up into my sister's driveway while he was transfering to the chair and hesitated as he told me he had dreamed it before, as we were that very moment.

It is tough to know what is the right choice, what is paranoia, and what just is~ you do what you feel is right and best for yours. We have only tried to advise you. Life will be as it will be~ T.
                          "I want to make a difference! However small it may be~ as long as it's a positive one, then this is what my life will have been about and I will go knowing I did my best.~ T.

Comment

Because football contributes the largest number of spinal cord injuries, much attention has focused on it, with resultant decrease in the number of spinal cord injuries. The incidence of spinal cord injuries increased from 0.7 per 100,000 in the 1960's to 1.6 per 100,000 in the 1970's and declined to 0.4 per 100,000 in the 1980's due to safer practices (Source (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/00001737.htm)). The year 1990 was historic in that it was the first and only year since beginning of record-keeping in 1931 during which there was no direct fatality in football. 1994 had zero fatalities at the high school level and 1 at the college level. In 1995, there were four fatalities. But these numbers are low compared to 1968 when there were 36 direct football fatalities. During the 2005-06 school year, over 4.2 million high school students participated in football. In 2004, there were 19 direct catastrophic injuries in high school football, the lowest number since 1994.
                            College football was associated with only one direct catastrophic injury in 2004, the lowest number since 1982. In addition to the direct fatalities in 2004, there were also ten indirect fatalities from heat stroke, lightning, and unknown. Three of the injuries resulted in no permanent disabilities, including one cervical spine fracture and two brain injuries with full recovery (Source (http://www.unc.edu/depts/nccsi/AllSport.htm)).
                            This was interesting to learn since this was how my son recieved his SCI....
                            If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic
                            www.jccarolinaformals.com
                            www.myspace.com/jccarolina
                            http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Comment

son 17 , won't ride again...not worth risk

Hi, Just thought I would comment on your post. My son like yours was lucky... he loves to race bikes, quads etc. He had his accident on June 16th, his injury is no-where near severe as your sons. His heart is broken, about the risk of riding again. His neurologist told him he has had two patients with same type of injury, within six months they got on there bikes. One is paralyzed and one is dead. We have decided he won't ride again. He is a child now, with the it won't happen to me attitude. Common sense doesn't kick in until 21....
                              We are looking into cart racing...less risky.
                              If I let my son ride...and he ends up dead or paralyzed, how could I live with the decision I let him make as a child. He is to young to decide his fate. As an adult let him make that decision.
                              It sounds like your son will have a long recovery...things can change. Don't let him get on a bike.
                              I hope your son recovers completely. It is a hard decision to make... not worth the risk.
                              uuudianauuu
                              Just out of curiosity, maybe I missed this is your son seeing neuro-surgeon or orthapedic surgeon? If he is seeing an orthopedic surgeon, it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion from a neuro-surgeon...I would asap.
                              Last edited by uuudianauuu; 6 Jul 2007, 3:54 PM.

Comment

Like your son, my son loved riding motocross with a passion. He raced constantly. We experienced the loss of two of his friends within a 1 year span due to motocross accidents. We did not want our son to ride again, but his love for it was so great that we let him. He, at the age of 15, (1 year and 6 months ago tomorrow) went riding to practice for a race and had an accident. He broke T5/6 and is now paralyzed. At first, he was insistent that if he recovered he would ride again, but now 1 1/2 years later, I do know that he would not ride again because of how this accident changed his life. Even though he has a great attitude, he has suffered so much through out all of this.
                                If we had it to do all over again, his father and I would never have let him ride. It hurts so bad to see our son in this situation and to know that there is nothing that we can do to change it.
                                I am very grateful that your son was not paralyzed. In making your decision for him, if you will do research, you will find that there have been an incredible amount of accidents leading to death and paralysis over the last few years in motocross. It is a very dangerous sport
                                as is many other sports, but from out experience, it just isn't worth the risk.
                                I wish you the best and know how very hard it is to make a decision to make.

Comment

Working...
                                X