recent para just need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• recent para just need some advice

i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaterd my 1st lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my 1st pt appontmant today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to sence im only 16 and i relly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!

Blonco, welcome to our forums! We are glad that you found us so quickly. (how did you find us???).

As we say, we are glad you found us...but are sorry you had to. You are going through a tough time right now...the first few weeks to months at home are generally the hardest part of SCI.

I am glad you will be continuing in therapy. What goals will you be working on?

Are you already independent in all your own care? Still in a back brace? Where did you do your inpatient rehab?

What is your actual level of injury and ASIA category? I am assuming you are only very recently injured....it is too early to say how much you will get back. At least 2 years is needed to know this.

Were you already driving alone? Do you have plans to get hand controls and driver's ed?

When will you be going back to school? It is important to do this as soon as you can. Are your friends hanging in there with you?

Please ask whatever questions you need help with. We are here to help.

(KLD)
    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Hello Blonco. Any questions you have or things you want to talk about this is the place.
      If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Comment

Hi Blonco - you're young and resilient. Try to stay positive, it will help in your recovery Welcome ...
        Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Comment

Originally posted by blonco
          i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaterd my 1st lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my 1st pt appontmant today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to sence im only 16 and i relly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!
          Hi Blonco,
          I am a para with a burst fracture of L1 vertabrae. One year four months post injury. My injury is classified as Complete Asia A. I am older than you but I'll be glad to answer questions about my experience so far. I drive, live on my own with my 13 year old son every other week, am back to work, have been on a coupla dates, ride my 4 wheeler, jet ski, etc.. etc.... Life is different but it beats the other alternative that faced me when I crashed my airplane. I'm really grateful to be alive and find that there is not much I can't figure a way to do. Stay positive talk to your friends and parents. Ask questions here and never quit trying. It will get better.

Answer the SCI nurses questions. It helps us know how to help you.

I think it's great you found this forum so quickly. It took me a year. Just keep in mind, nobody knows exactly what is right for you or exactly what you are feeling. Listen to the nurses and those who share their experiences with you and there is alot of good info and stuff here.

Good luck my friend,
          Grange
          L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

Comment

Hi, Blonco, my son is a T-3,4,5,6 ??? complete, almost two years post from a motocross accident. He was 15. I will try to get him here to talk to you.

Jimmy is back in high school, driving, working, a pretty well adjusted teenage boy.

Where are you from?

Comment

Blonco: ditto mom277. My son's now 20, 2.5 post from an auto accident. T12/L1. He was 17. He drives, finished high school, going to college, has a girl friend, went to his prom, etc. I'll try to get him on here to talk to you or to PM you.
              Its scary and hard, but you will get there. Give it time, push yourself and be patient at the same time.
              If you have specific questions or problems, check out the other forums. There's a lot of information out there and you'll find we (as a group) will answer any question. And I do mean ANY question. You will find a lot of information that the hospitals just don't tell you or don't know. They deal with SCI on the short term, accute stage. This forum has member that are 30 years out. They know what works, doesn't work and how to try.
              Sorry you had to find us, but you'll be glad you did.
              BeeBee

Comment

Hi Blonco,
                I too am new to my SCI. I have a burst fracture at the T8 level caused by sleepwalking-I fell off my second story deck. I wore a TLSO for 4 months, spent 3 weeks in the hospital and 4 weeks at rehab. I am 6 months post injury and trying to become more independent. I joined the forum in Apr. and have enjoyed it since. Good Luck with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by blonco
                  i was recently paralyzed in a diving acident i shaded my ST lumbar i just got home from the hospital and had my ST pt appointment today and i know i still have a long way to go and i just want some advice on what i should get use to séance I'm only 16 and i Reilly want to talk to some other paras please help!!!!
                  Hi blonco,

Sorry to see you have to join our group. I don't really know how bad your injury is but your young and resilient and just try to stay positive if you can.

My son and I are both low levels SCI.
                  I'm a L4-S1 with a permanent Cauda Equina injury, almost 5 years now stuck to my chair .

My son on the other hand, was younger like you. He broke his back at T12-L1 during a JV football scrimmage when he was 16. (He's 22 now)
                  He had a excellent surgeon. With bone grafting, SS caging, and 9 months in a TLSO he is 95% recovered and walking unassisted after rehab.
                  If the Army & the Navy ever look on heavens scenes, they will see the streets are guarded by United States Marines!

sigpic
                  www.jccarolinaformals.com
                  www.myspace.com/jccarolina
                  http://www.facebook.com/pages/JC-Car...10436735695158

Comment

Hey, Blonco, welcome!
                    This is a great place - you can get the best advice there is from the best people there are, who have been there, done that (there's only a couple of grouches, they're easy to ignore!). Don't be afraid to ask about ANYTHING. We all know how overwhelming this thing is, especially at first. Ask and ye shall receive! And before you know it, you'll be helping others.
                    - Richard

Comment

to answer the nurse my goal is to get back as much freedom as posibal and when i graduat live on my own. im not indapendent at all right now but trying my hardest to get there i am still in my back brace but i might be heald soon. Im doing my rehab at uc davies med center. i will go back to school next year sencs this ones almost over i was not diving alone i was with a couple of other guy at the river i am hopeing to learn to drive but im guna wate till im relly ready.im am also a compeat asia A and luckuly my friends are always by my side

Comment

blonco ,
                        be strong and never give up.

Comment

It is way too early to say if your injury will remain complete. Your goals sound very realistic, but it would be good for you to make a list and share it with your doctor (physiatrist) and therapists. For example:

1. I want to drive within 6 months.
                          2. I want to do all my own transfers, including floor to wheelchair transfers, within 1 month after getting my jacket off.
                          3. I want to be totally independent in bowel and bladder management within 1 month after getting my jacket off.
                          4. I want to try XYZ wheelchair sports before school starts.
                          5. I want to learn how to cook and take care of my own apartment in a wheelchair by the end of this year.
                          etc.

Make your goals as measurable as possible, and set realistic time-lines. You can do it!

You may also want to look into outpatient services at the Shriner's Hospital in Sacramento. They have an excellent spinal cord injury program, and you would be eligible at your age.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

You'll do very well!

Blonco,

My daughter is now 16 and she was hurt almost 3 yrs ago. It was a bit tough getting adjusted and the future picture in focus, but much is still the same as before.

She does very well in school with an eye for college (top of class). She's been an asst coach for her schools basketball team for the past three seasons, she loves the game. She misses playing with her team, but shes an integral part just the same, she scouts the opponent during games to assess whether they're playing man to man or zone. She also runs practices and has head coached a few games when he had scheduling conflicts (she lettered last year, never missed a practice or game). She works out with a personal trainer twice a week at the local YMCA to try to stay in shape.

During the summer she's focused heavily on rehab. We've spent the last two summers at a place in CA called Project Walk (extreme heavy duty work outs for SCI). This summer she'll train intensively with her trainer at the YMCA. She also going to start electric guitar lessons when school lets out.

So as you can see, it's really what you make of it. Sarah has trully moved on from her injury, and I'm sure you will too.

God is good, ALL the time.
                            Rick

GO FORWARD! 2 FIGHT! PARALYSIS!

Comment

hey man, sorry to hear about your injury. Im going on 2 years july 15 due to a motocross injury, and being positive is probably the most important thing. Yea being in a wheelchair sucks but atleast your still here, and chances are u can still do what you love, there isnt really anything you cant do. For example, im riding a dirtbike again, i have seen many videos with wheelchairs in skate parks and paraprosracing.com have designed some pretty nasty mountain bikes, if your into that. Just stay positive, try not to be so serious about being in the wheelchair, joke around with your friends about it, and things go alot smoother.

email me if you got any other questions ill be more than happy to help..
                              motoxracer277@hotmail.com

later on bud,
                              jimmy
                              just a little pic of a bike for the impaired

Comment

Working...
                              X