No announcement yet.

Need Help on Recent Injury and Hospital and Doctor Quality Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been watching Dustins page. Don't know if you posted the link but this is it. http://www.carepages.com/Login;jsess...&tlcx1=default

My husband is 1 year post and I had so many questions like you and have learned so much. Looks like Dustin is off the ventt, from the pictures??. I am no nurse, expert or doctor but are they turning him? I am sure they are but when my husband was in the hospital he was in a special bed that rotated and it looks like Dustin is in a regular bed...

My prayers are with you and your family. Like your daughter, I met my husband in high school...

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
      I have been watching Dustins page. Don't know if you posted the link but this is it. http://www.carepages.com/Login;jsess...&tlcx1=default

My husband is 1 year post and I had so many questions like you and have learned so much. Looks like Dustin is off the ventt, from the pictures??. I am no nurse, expert or doctor but are they turning him? I am sure they are but when my husband was in the hospital he was in a special bed that rotated and it looks like Dustin is in a regular bed...

My prayers are with you and your family. Like your daughter, I met my husband in high school...
      Chopper, thanks for the post, and your thoughts!! [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] I JUST made a note to start planning for Katie's support. So nice of you to chime in. Good luck with your continued journey.

Thanks for posting the link. His page is DustinFaurote. I finally posted to it myself this morning.

I think the picture was taken last week, prior to the vent. I think around Saturday, pnuemonia set in, so they have been clearing that throughout the last 5 days or so. Since he nearly drowned, they said it was no surprise that happened. The plan is to keep him on the vent through the transport to a rehabilitation center, which we hope will come soon. They are also debating about a tracheotomy this morning for surgery and through air lift.

Yes, they are turning him. They have him in a rotating bed now. The picture appears to be the initial bed they put him in. It would have been nice if he would have been admitted straight to the rotating bed, but small hospital, Level III trauma, maybe beds are limited.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Dustin is out of surgery, and everything went well!!![IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG][IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] Thanks for the thoughts and prayers everyone.

Comment

We now have a caseworker assigned at Shepherd Center for Dustin. We anticipate airlift from Harlingen, Texas on Tuesday.
          This forum and the participants have been a true blessing. [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG] A few more prayers as we head to Atlanta. We just can't thank Cheesecake enough!!! Her diligence, compassion, knowledge, etc., etc.......Soon, Dustin will know, too....

Comment

Genelioch It looks to me that through your perseverance and questions on this website that your daughters boyfriend is going to one of the best SCI centers in the US. It is shocking how hospitals are really not aware that there are specialized centers for SCI. My daughter was in a carf accredited hospital for inpatient rehab near home and I do not have one complaint, but after discharge we wanted more than the 3 hours a week of OT and PT. We were taking her to a pool and of course doing things at home, but it still didn't seem like enough. We heard about Shepherd Center through a friend and now my daughter started the Day Program last monday. You will love the shepherd center. Perhaps we will meet in the near future.

Comment

Happy for Dustin

GL~ I didn't do anything special, simply connected you to info and resources that you had no idea existed. Resouces=knowledge=power.
              Good luck to everyone with the transfer. I ope he hasan uneventful weekend and a good journey to the Sweet South. Maybe JazzyJeff will come by to meet Dustin.

Yellowlilly, I have never visited Shepherd but have always been impressed with what I have heard. I know someone who is in outpatient rehab since Tuesday. She was an ASIA C at time of injury but took 10 steps on Thursday, forward and back. This is much more than her first hospital indicated would ever happen.

Best to Dustin as well as your daughter yellowlilly.
              Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Thank you , Cheesecake! The Care Cure community is lucky to have you! I have read many of your posts. You are always knowledgeable and imformative. Thank you.

My daughter just started the NRN program on Friday (yesterday). This is their weight supported gait training program. I am so thankful we are here.

Comment

Thank you both to Cheescake and Yellowlilly! Everyone is trying to get some rest for the next challenge!! [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Glad to hear Dustin is Shepherd bound. Hope he and Jazzy Jeff meet when Dustin's ready.

Comment

NeuroRecovery Network

The Christopher and Dana Reeve Foundation fund the NRN Network system in cooperation with a grant from the Centers For Disease Control (CDC). To read more, http://www.christopherreeve.org/site...asp?ct=1489719

How did you choose Atlanta over other centers?

Comment

Hello Cheesecake!
                        This is Joanie Loch, back in Ft Wayne. Communication with Dustin is still very difficult because of the vent so we took the questions we thought most concerned him - age of patients, activities, focus on school, and asked him the importance of some of those things. He's always been very social and active, and Dustin and his Mom both thought that Sheperd was the facility that would give Dustin the best opportunities to be very active after his return home. Age was probably the question that got the most emphatic yesses (eye blinks). As far as the facility, several people were doing online research for us and all said that this facility had the top equipment, and the team approach for the staff was appreciated as well.
                        There is a great deal of confidence in Sheperd, and I'm looking forward to visiting Dustin there!
                        Thanks!
                        Joanie

Comment

Hi Joanie~
                          Glad you made it home safely. Rest and recharge. As anyone on the boards will tell you, rehab is tough. Let Dustin set his goals and focus so he can GO FORWARD. His family is lucky to have sch support.

Time to start a new thread without the frown!

Comment

Hello. I have been reading about Dustin and I am pretty new to this site. My son is a C2 on a vent. He was injured a little over a year ago and he is a senior this year also. We live in Evansville, Indiana. The best choice in Shepherd. They probably have the best care and family training for new SCI's. My son lives at home with us and that is all due to Shepherd. After his stay at Shepherd, there is also another fantastic place for the intensive rehab that will come after Shepherd, it is Kennedy Krieger Institute in Baltimore. Seems far away to be thinking about it but its not. They are very aggresive and best if you get inpatient status. If Dustin's family wants more info, you or they can email me jmt823@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                            X