No announcement yet.

Need Help on Recent Injury and Hospital and Doctor Quality Decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He does not have a halo. He has a stiff metal collar. They performed an anterior surgery to help stablize, and are planning a posterior at the end of the week.

Comment

Does anyone know about Chicago Shriners??[IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon5.gif[/IMG] What is the quality for the second posterior surgery and rehab?

Comment

LauraD's daughter Heather has gone to Chicago Shriners.
        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Thanks so much!! I sent LauraD a private email. She is welcome to post publicly, too.

Comment

Heather did outpatient rehab at Shriner's and does yearly checkups which we are past due for. I also know another SCI girl, Jackie, that did her rehab there after her release from UW hospital in Madison WI. Not only did Heather love it there, but I loved what they did with her and how they treated her. I know Jackie was happy with her treatment there too. Pediatric SCI is one of their specialties. Dr. Vogel is awesome!!! Hopefully we will be going back down there again this summer. I will try to give you a call tomorrow morning. Late night tonight. The first ball game for my son. I just might be home all day if we get the snow they are calling for. Just maybe school will be cancelled!!!!
            Mom to Heather, age 16, T-12, 8 years post & Michael, age 19.

Comment

Yesterday, we submitted requests at Shepherd Center in Atlanta, and Shriner's in Chicago. Valley Baptist in Harlingen, Texas, where Dustin is currently at. He has his second surgery (posterior) stablization scheduled for Friday, and we need to decide whether he can be transported prior to that surgery, and have surgery/rehab done at one place (like Shepherd). Today is a big day for the family.

On the insurance front, we had a good consultation with customer service, and it appears that the 90/70 PPO with Blue Cross and Blue Shield is good coverage, although we will see. They indicated that the air lift to Atlanta would be covered 90%. All this is contingent on a "Medical Review" which we are faxing this morning to BC/BS. Our support network includes a great friend who owns his own insurance company, has been in the business for 40 years, and is navigating the insurance land mines, and anticipating most. What a blessing.

Patti, Dustin's mother, is reaching the end of her physical and emotional rope. It has been 8 days now since the accident, and sleep is dwindled to nearly zero. So the help like insurance navigators really helps her make great decisions. And the great distance from home is a challenge for support. Only my wife remains as of this morning. Katie, our daughter, reluctantly left this morning, sobbing uncontrollably. My wife is prepared to fly to Atlanta to bang on doors, kick the tires in Atlanta if she needs to. But first, she must try to nap. I believe she is on the verge of a breakdown, nearly passing out yesterday. We have an urgent message out on our CarePage (another blessing). The name of the page is DustinFaurote.

AND WE CANNOT THANK THE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM ENOUGH!!! A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE, SUPPORT, ETC....!!!!

SPECIAL THANKS TO CHEESECAKE!!!!!

More details later, but the next 24 hours will be critical as the family makes this tremendously important decision.

Thanks Again!!

Comment

Originally posted by LauraD
                Heather did outpatient rehab at Shriner's and does yearly checkups which we are past due for. I also know another SCI girl, Jackie, that did her rehab there after her release from UW hospital in Madison WI. Not only did Heather love it there, but I loved what they did with her and how they treated her. I know Jackie was happy with her treatment there too. Pediatric SCI is one of their specialties. Dr. Vogel is awesome!!! Hopefully we will be going back down there again this summer. I will try to give you a call tomorrow morning. Late night tonight. The first ball game for my son. I just might be home all day if we get the snow they are calling for. Just maybe school will be cancelled!!!!
                Thanks so much. I will give you phone numbers, too....everyone is napping now..

Comment

geneloch-
                  Good luck to you and all I can say is keep fighting for the right place for your son. My son is 8 months post (c5/6) with the accident happening on vacation in NC (we live in PA) How I feel for for your wife. I know the exaustion and the grief all the while trying to make the most important decisions a child's life. She needs rest! My heart goes out to all of you.
                  We were able to airlift from our trauma hospital in NC to Magee Rehab in Philadelphia. Thank God! It was our insurance representative for my husband's work that navigated our insurance coverage for all stays including our medical flight. The casemanager at the national headquarters did not know what he knew about our coverage. So much "out of network" stuff, but often trauma cases make that moot Anyway, a model SCI rehab is a must! Since then we have been seen at Shriners Childrens Hospital in Philadelphia, which is also a remarkable hospital. (Shriners is no-cost, so what is not covered we have never received a bill!) What a difference being somewhere that KNOWS SCI . My son is in his 3rd week of 4 recovering from bicept to tricept, pinch and grasp tendon transfers. He returns to
                  Shriners for a month inpatient rehab next week. I just wanted to encourage you and cheer that you have fought for a SCI center...it will make all the difference!

Comment

Thanks for the positive words of encouragement! [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Is he a candidate for the Procord study at Shepherd???
                      I believe he has to be there by the 14 day r thereabouts. You might ask about that.

CWO
                      The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Procord studies ended a year ago.
                        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

I know enrollment was suspended but I had heard thorugh the "grapevine", there might be a revision in the study or a somewhat similiar study started. But I haven't seen anything official or if that was true or not true.

CWO
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

what is procord? thanks

Comment

Dustin is going into surgery tomorrow for his posterior stabilization. Please say a prayer if you can. [IMG]/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif[/IMG]

We have encouraging news from the insurance, and we hope to rehab bound soon to a fine facility. Thanks again to all for their thoughts and advice!! It has been a long 9 days since the accident.

Dustin's CarePage is DustinFaurote if you want to check it out....

Comment

Our thoughts and prayers are with Dustin.

CWO

Comment

Working...
                                X