Recent Accident to My Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Roger View Post
    Brian had good news today. He found that he passed the Step 1 Board Exam. His score was 10 points above the mean and 15 points above the mean for the Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation medical students. PM&R is the area that Brian plans on going into. Obviously passing this test is a huge load off of his mind.

Brian has been meeting with the doctors at the hospital where he'll be doing his clinical rotations. These meeting have gone very well. It seems like many of the problems that Brian encountered have been resolved since the medical school Vice Dean got involved. Now, when necessary, Brian is going to have an assistant who will work under his supervision. The assistant will preform any physical tasks that Brian is unable to perform. When Brian is tested on a procedure he'll be required to explain how he would direct his assistant to complete the task. This procedure has been used in the past for students with disabilities.

Roger
    That's excellent news. Congratulations to Brian!
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Comment

Today, Brian was notified that he has passed the Transition to Wards Class and he will be starting his first clinical rotation in psychiatry next Tuesday.

It has been a roller coaster ride the last eight weeks. Brian is at a high point now. He has passed the Step 1 Board Exam and he's starting clinical rotations. The low point was eight weeks when he was being dismissed from the program.

Brian has had meetings with several of the doctors where he'll be doing clinical rotations. Those meetings have gone very well. I would have to say that everything improved after the vice dean at the medical school got involved. Someday I'll thank him personally. I don't think that Brian would be starting clinical rotations if the vice dean had not stepped in to overcome the obstacles.

Roger
      Last edited by Roger; 23 May 2012, 7:52 PM.

Comment

Fantastic news! Congratulations.

Comment

Great news Roger...it has been a long long journey!!!
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Brian started his clinical rotation in psychiatry on Tuesday. Everything has been going very well and the other medical students in the same clinical rotation have been very helpful and supportive.

Today is a long day, Brian is working in the emergency room from 8:00 am to 10:30 pm.

Roger

Comment

Brian's clinical rotation in psychiatry is going well. There's one more week left in the psychiatry rotation then he starts a five week rotation in neurology.

Brian is considering having a bladder Botox injection so that he can get off of the bladder medication. The bladder medication that he's currently taking has the undesirable side effects of dry month and fatigue. If he does have the Botox injection it will be sometime in August.

Roger

Comment

Roger, despite all the setbacks and problems Brian is doing so well, and even though I have never met him (or you) in person, I am proud of you both!

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
                  Brian's clinical rotation in psychiatry is going well. There's one more week left in the psychiatry rotation then he starts a five week rotation in neurology.

Brian is considering having a bladder Botox injection so that he can get off of the bladder medication. The bladder medication that he's currently taking has the undesirable side effects of dry month and fatigue. If he does have the Botox injection it will be sometime in August.

Roger
                  Great news Roger. lease give Brian my best. I will be in Baltimore 3 times in July, I would love to connect with Brian again. Next time you are in town, we need to get together.

I am so glad everything has finally started to come together. Has he done modifications yet?
                  Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Brian had an accident in the shower last week that put him into the hospital with severe neuropathic pain. Last week when he was sliding onto the Activeaid shower bench the shower bench legs slid off of the suction cups that hold the bench to the floor. Brian is now at home recuperating from the fall. He was suppose to start his next clinical rotation today but that has been postphoned until he's well.

I called Activeaid today about the shower bench and found out that they've redesigned how the suction cups are attached to the shower bench legs. I doubt that the accident would've occurred if Brian's shower bench had had the redesigned suction cups and legs. It's obvious that Activeaid knew about this design flaw but never notified us about the potential problem. This makes me angry. Activeaid calls themselves "The Gold Standard" but what are they the gold standard of?

If anyone has an Activeaid SS277BSO shower bench order the redesigned suction cups and legs part #13408 so that you don't have this same problem.

Roger

Comment

ARRRGGHH!, That's the only word I can think of Roger. I am continually amazed at the strength and resiliency of you and your family. May he be back in rotation soon, we need docs like him.

Comment

Brian has had some set backs but he's recovering now. My wife was in Phoenix when all of this happened. When Brian finally told us what was going on she flew back to Baltimore immediately.

Two weeks ago Brian fell in the shower and ended up spending the next night in the hospital emergency room sleeping on a hard table. He has recovered from the fall but after sleeping on the hard table he sustained a pressure sore on the heal of his foot. The pressure sore turned into a serious injury. Brian got an appointment at the Hopkins wound clinic to have the pressure sore examined and treated. Because of these medical issues Brian has not be able to participate in the Neurology clinical rotation. The wound is healing and Brian has working out a plan to catch up at school starting next week.

Roger

Comment

praying for you all

Comment

Brian had an appointment at the Hopkins wound clinic today. He received very good news, the pressure sore on the back of his foot has healed. The doctor told Brian that she wished that she could tell each one of her patients this kind of good news. Brian was fortunate this pressure sore could have turned into something serious.

This was a wake up call that Brian has to be ever vigilant. In this particular situation it's hard to blame Brian. He was in the emergency room with severe neuropathic pain after falling in the shower. The problem was that they gave Brian pain pills and then let him He sleep all night on a hard surface in the emergency room. Because his foot was not properly cushioned he ended up with a pressure sore on the heel of his foot. I can understand why Brian didn't realized that his foot was not properly support. It's disappointing that the emergency room doctor or nurse didn't recognized the potential problem.

Next week Brian goes back to work at the hospital. He has two days working at the hospital then he takes what they call a shelf exam. When he finishes these things his first clinical rotation will be completed.

Earlier today I mailed a foam quad pad that I made for Brian's bed so that he can keep pressure off of his heel. I purchased a 4x6x18 piece of foam and 18 inches of 4 inch wide Velcro at a local upholstery supply store. After covering the foam with a pillow case I sewed the Velcro hook side to the pillow case. My wife will attach the Velcro loop side to the sheet on Brian's bed with safety pins. We're hoping that the Velcro will solve the problem of keeping the quad pad in the proper position when Brian gets into bed by himself. If this works well the next time I'm in Baltimore I'll sew strips of four inch wide Velcro to each of the bed sheets for Brian's bed.

Roger

Comment

Aw, that's just like my dad. He's a retired bio-med engineer and is always rigging stuff up for me.

Brian dodged a bullet with that sore. I'd worry about those long hospital hours. Sure is impressive though!

Comment

On Tuesday Brian worked in the Hopkins Emergency room to make up for the day that he missed a couple of weeks ago. After he takes the exam on Friday he'll be done with the psychiatry clinical rotation.

There were some challenges during this first clinical rotation but he has made it through. There's a three week summer break so Brian starts the Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation clinical rotation on August 13. He's trying to get into Kennedy Krieger during the break to do some therapy.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X