No announcement yet.

Recent Accident to My Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those kind of hours are a recipe for pressure sores. I got a terrible one about a month after completing my MA without taking any medical leaves, even when I really should have. I was so caught up with the self-imposed pressure to finish in the same amount of time as "normal" that I pushed through being unwell and ended up severely weakening myself. It's a really bad long-term strategy. Brian will need to pace himself and guard his health at all costs if he wants to make it all the way through.

Comment

Scaper1

This is very good advise from someone who has been there.

Thanks

Roger

Comment

Brian had the baclofen pump implanted today everything went well. He's spending tonight in the hospital. The surgeon said that they're using a special vaccum device over the wound to promote healing. We're not sure if he coming home tomorrow or the next day. I think it would be smart to get him out of the hospital as soon as possible. When he was in the hospital last summer he came home with a UTI and a pressure sore.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Roger View Post
          Brian had the baclofen pump implanted today everything went well. He's spending tonight in the hospital. The surgeon said that they're using a special vaccum device over the wound to promote healing. We're not sure if he coming home tomorrow or the next day. I think it would be smart to get him out of the hospital as soon as possible. When he was in the hospital last summer he came home with a UTI and a pressure sore.

Roger
          Hoping that Brian makes it out of hospital tomorrow, and I am glad the surgery went well.

Comment

Brian was released from the hospital late yesterday he's back at the condo recuperating. The incision is covered with a plastic bandage and a tube with a battery operated vaccum pump is attached. The purpose of the device is to enhance the healing from within. The surgeon Dr. Naff said he was pulling out all of the stops this time. He doesn't want to see Brian back for a fifth surgery.

Roger

Comment

Hi there...I have read your story over the last few weeks and feel as if I know you all! Decided I would give my 2 cents worth in regards to the woundvac. I have been nursing a HUGE pressure soreon my coxic area for 3 years. It was the biggest wound my Doc at Ohio State University had ever dealt with. In fact, he thought it might be some record holder (LOL). Anyway, we tried the woundvac for a little over a year without much healing. It did do well in covering over the remainder of my tailbone. I am active enough to survive and do take time to treat it decently by being off of the sore. I continued the healing process when I went back to college online to finish my BS. The issue that I ran into was the Woundvac people had "donated" the device as it was not covered by Ohio Medicaid for in home use at that time (it has changed to be used at home on a case by case issue) Anyways, before the coverage took place, the Woundvac people decided I was not worthy of the device as it seemed not to be working up to thier standards (They were using my data as acase study to prove it does wonders -I failed...LOL) We went to a normal wet to dry dressing that is changed twice a day and cleaned with a mixture of Hydrogen peroxcide, saline and betadyne. My nurse scrubs the wound with a toothbrush to aggitate the tissue and cleans with the mixture once a day in the AM. I have learned to change the bandage on my own butt by myself (that is a trick to see..LOL!!) The wound almost immediately began to show signs of healthy growth. The wonder that such a simple dressing could do that well compared to the new scientific woundvac was amazing!!

I am choosing to heal this wound all by itself without any further surgery or getting a "flap" to heal it faster. My Doc really wanted to do surgery to further the process along faster, but afte getin some peoples' opinion that had the same type of sore, I decided that I would let nature take its course as long as we could. The wound is doing great and if you could see the growth you would be amazed! Thanks for sharing your story Roger and Brian. Is brian using this website as well? Would love to chat with him about "war stories". Take care!
              dougie

Comment

Brian slept most of the day today. He felt dysreflexic but didn't know why. This afternoon a nurse came and changed the dressing on the incision. It's a special dressing that the Wound Vac attaches to. A low pressure vaccum pump draws air through the wound to promote healing from within. The homecare nurse was very nice. There's a problem with the Brian's medical insurance concerning home nursing care. The nurse said that she wasn't concerned about the insurance coverage and she would be back on Monday to change the dressing. I'm sure that the insurance issue will be resolved but it was nice that the nurse was so concerned about the patient.

Roger

Comment

Brian is finally getting his stamina back. During the first week after the baclofen pump surgery he was tried constantly. Today he met with his adviser and one of deans at the medical school. They discussed the medical leave and when he would be able to startup again. The plan is for Brian to be on medical leave until May and then he would be a student in residence. During this time Brian would continue studying and take board exams. The most important thing is that Brian completely behind this plan.

We got some positive news from the Realtor today. We're actually making some progress on buying the condo. The current owner has agreed to sign the papers that are necessary for Bank of America to complete the short sale.

Roger

Comment

Sounds like things are starting to improve all around. So very glad to hear that Brian is doing better, and also that the long sought after condo might just happen after all!

Comment

Brian continues to improve day by day. Because of his reaction to the baclofen the last three months have been a struggle. Taking a medical leave from the medical school I'm convince was the only option. If Brian had tried to catch up after missing two months of classes he would have had severe physical problems not to mention the stress. I've seen how Brian pushes himself physically when he studies.

I'm still working on the condo Short Sale, this just never ends. The latest information I received yesterday was that if we purchase the condo as a Short Sale then we have to pay the condo association lien that was filed against the original owner. The original owner filed bankruptcy and the lien was discharged but the condo association lien stays with the property. In order to have a clear title the new property owner has to pay off the lien at closing. The lien with penalties and fees is ~$25,000. I'm going to find out more tomorrow from the title company but this could be a big problem. We might be better off if Bank of America foreclosed then we purchased the property from Bank of America. In that case Bank of America would have to pay the condo association lien before they could sell the property. I talked to a representative at the Bank of America Foreclosure Department. I was told that if BOA started the foreclosure process today it would take them 12 months to foreclose on the property. Here's the real laugh the condo owner has not made a payment in 30 months and according to the BOA representative the loan is in good standing. I told her that I wanted one of these BOA mortgages. You don't make a payment for 30 months and your loan is still in good standing, unbelievable.

Roger

Comment

Today, I talked with six different representatives in five different departments at Bank of America. The departments were collections, bankruptcy foreclosure, short sale and customer solution team. BOA has setup a system that's just bound to fail. Five of the representatives looked at the file and couldn't identify that there was a problem even obviously the data didn't make sense. Finally, the customer solution team representative looked closely at the file and saw that the loan had tags assigned to it that prevented a foreclosure process from being started. It's just amazing. Each representative looked at the file but couldn't comprehend that there was something wrong with the data in the file. Only the last representative did a sanity check on the computer information and concluded that it just doesn't make sense that a loan can be 30 payments in arrears and still be in good standing. Now BOA wants me to contact the condo owner and request that she sign a document that authorizes BOA to proceed with the Short Sale. If the owner will not sign the authorization then the Short Sale will stop. I don't know if BOA would ever start a foreclose on this property.

The reason I care about this is if BOA would foreclose on the condo that we wouldn't have to pay the $25,000 HOA lien. In Maryland if a property is foreclosed the HOA lien is discharged.

Roger

Comment

The continual incompetence of BOA to rid themselves of a loss is amazing. Even when it is in their best interest they seem to not be able to connect the dots. No wonder there is a mortgage crisis!

Comment

Roger: BOA has a moritorium on foreclosures in MD due to poor lending practices and file irregularities. Because of this, they have to keep the accounts in "good standing" to over ride the tickler collection system.

BOF is a royal mess. A neighbor had to abandon her home because for 1 yr BOA could not get her the forms to restructure her loan. Once a Community Action Committe became involved, BOA responded. By then she no longer qualified for the loan modification. It took 9 months and an outside agency to even get the forms.

Now she has tried to release the property to BOA and can not get a reply.

Sorry you are caught up in this mess. When I originally suggested that Brian buy vs rent I thought it would be quicker. At this rate he will finish medical school before the purchase occurs.
                            Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Last Friday Brian had hand surgery to straighten his middle finger. Brian will have a cast on his right hand for about 6 weeks. Hopefully, all of the surgeries are now done.

Brian met with his adviser today to start working on the research project with her. On March 11 Brian and Ann fly back to Phoenix for three weeks.

I'm still working on the condo Short Sale. This is something else that just doesn't seem to have an end. The condo has two BOA mortgages and a Home Owners Association lien against it. So far the Short Sale only deals with the BOA 1st mortgage. Today our Realtor talked to the BOA collections dept about the second mortgage. It's like starting over from the beginning. I don't know when this is ever going to end.

Roger

Comment

Brian and Ann have been back in Phoenix for almost two weeks. Brian is feeling better each day. I feel like he's getting back to where he was before he had the first baclofen pump implant. Anyone considering a baclofen pump implant should be aware that there can be very serious side effects. Brian has had four surgeries since the end of July and every three months when the pump reservoir is refilled there's a risk of infection.

The condo short sale is still not completed. I've said many times during the last 20 months, the complications for this short sale never seem to end. On Monday the Bank of America closing officer threatened to close the Short Sale file unless our Realtor could provide an IRS Form 4506T signed by the condo owner. Today, the condo owner emailed our Realtor that she would provide the signed form tomorrow. If she doesn't I'm sure by the end of the week that the Bank of America closing officer will close our Short Sale file for good. If the Short Sale is terminated then BAC will eventually start the foreclosure process. It takes BAC 12 months to complete a foreclosure. The bad thing about the foreclosure process is that Brian and Ann would most likely have to move out of the condo.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X