No announcement yet.

Recent Accident to My Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Roger, Can I just say that I think you and your wife are amazing? Brian is a lucky guy to have the parents he has! I am so glad that the issue of Brian's housing is settled, at least for the immediate future. Whew.......

Comment

Mr. Brian XXXXX
      First Year Medical Student
      School of Medicine

Dear Brian,
      I am writing this email to provide mid-course feedback on your performance in the Human Gross Anatomy portion of the Scientific Foundations of Medicine section of the first year curriculum. I have solicited feedback from the instructors in the course and reviewed your cumulative performance in lab and on the exam in preparing this feedback. As indicated at the start of the course, I am only sending this email to you, as a formative assessment, to give you the chance to make any adjustments you’d like to make, before another letter is submitted to the Registrar’s Office at the end of the course, along with your final grade for the Human Gross Anatomy course.
      On written and computerized testing, you’ve scored as follows: on the GI TBL session your average of team-score and IRAT was 90% (class average: 81%); on the Ob-Gyn TBL session , 85% (class average: 86%); on the lower limb orthopedic TBL, 65% (class average: 67%); on the lower limb rehabilitative medicine TBL, 90% (class average: 83%); and on the Thorax, Abdomen, Pelvis and Perineum exam, 91.8% (class average: 92%).

Another important component of your evaluation and assessment is the meeting of behavioral/ professional competencies, as noted in the course guidelines. Based on evaluations by lab instructors, you are certainly meeting competency and professionalism criteria by demonstrating a very good fund of knowledge, excellent interpersonal skills, effective communication of ideas to peers and instructors, and professionalism in attendance and preparation for assignments.

Your active, enthusiastic learning style is noteworthy, as is your preparedness for lab. We have no concerns whatsoever about your performance thus far.

Please contact me if you have any questions about this evaluation.

Sincerely,

Director, Human Gross Anatomy
      Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 19 Jun 2012, 1:16 PM.

Comment

Great evaluation. I bet that made Brian feel great. It would me!

Comment

Brian has been worried all week that about an anatomy test that he took last Friday. He was concerned that he might not have done well on the test because there were several questions about the muscles in the foot. He had expected the test to cover the leg muscles rather than the foot muscles. He received an email tonight with his test score 77, low score was 41 average was 75. This was a big relief for him because he thought he might have failed the test. Other students in his study group were also worried because they hadn't studied the foot muscles either. There are 120 very smart students in the class. Any score above the average is great in my opinion.

Roger

Comment

The article that Brian edited for United Spinal's MS Scene last summer has been published. It's a short article that explains how clincial trials are setup. I've posted it here because people on CareCure might be interested.

Understanding Clinical Trials: Why They Are Done and What Is Learned

Introduction
            Almost every day we hear about the results of a new trial that has changed the way we think about a treatment, or confirmed what we already know or believe. We learn of clinical trial results so frequently, it is sometimes easy to develop skepticism about them. What follows is a brief synopsis of clinical trials––what they are and what we hope to learn from them. The purpose of this feature article is to point out their necessity, what is required to undertake them, and what potential participants like yourself need to know, especially since there are over 140 clinical trails currently enrolling subjects with multiple sclerosis (MS). A quick reference for many of these concepts can be found in reference 1 at the end of this article).

more......................

http://www.unitedspinal.org/msscene/2009/08/27/understanding-clinical-trials-why-they-are-done-and-what-is-learned/.
            Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 26 Jan 2015, 10:01 PM. Reason: Request to remove full name

Comment

Very good article and very detail. Thank you for posting.

Comment

Sounds like your son is doing great - you should be very proud!

Comment

Brian is studying around the clock for the big anatomy final on Monday. Completing the anatomy class is traditionally a big event. At the end of the class all the students get together to celebrate by burning their scrubs. Brian told my wife last night when he came home at midnight that the studying was going well. Brian got up this morning and went back to Armstrong building to continue studying with his study group.

Yesterday, my wife called and told me that she could hear water running in the wall by the refrigerator. There were no signs of water on the kitchen floor or inside the refrigerator. Since there wasn't much that I could do from Phoenix and on Saturday evening there are no building maintenance men on duty. I told her to tell the security guard that she heard water running. About an hour later two men came to investigate. They found that the refrigerator ice maker water line had broken and flooded the condo on the floor below. I'm not sure exactly where the water line broke, I'll find out more on Monday. The maintenance men said that there was a lot of water damage to the condo below. It's kind of strange that there was no water in our condo. At this point I'm glad that we're renting the condo. I'm not sure who is financially responsible when a water pipe breaks in one condo and damages another condo.

Roger
                  Last edited by Roger; 11 Oct 2009, 8:14 PM.

Comment

Whew, I am glad you are renting at the moment too, because I think the owner of the condo is responsible, although maybe not in this case since the problem is inside the wall instead of on "your" side. In my building you are responsible for the things inside the walls, but not if it is in the wall or ceiling. Then it is the management's responsibility. Sounds like Brian is doing great, and I hope he has fun burning his scrubs as a symbolic mark of accomplishment!

Comment

Brian took the anatomy final today and thinks that he did well on it. At 4:30 today he had a meeting with one of the medical school deans to discuss issues related to accomodations. Brian said that the meeting with the dean went well. After the meeting, Brian was so tired from studying non-stop for the last week that he went home and crashed. Tomorrow is a full day of classes starting at 8:00 and ending at 5:30.

Ann didn't find out anything more about the water leak today. My next trip to Baltimore is Thursday Oct 22. When I'm there I'll look at the refrigerator and the water line then and see what needs to be done to fix the problem.

Roger

Comment

Roger, I have followed this thread with interest, because a year ago my son was applying to medicine - he applied to 5 schools, got 5 offers - now his anatomy exams etc have become the important thing, rather than applications. Sometimes he is above class average, sometimes just below - however average is OK. I can relate to your pleasure in your son's blossoming career, and wish you both well. You're both doing a great job.

Comment

Greer

Congratulations on your son being accepted into medical school. After watching my son study for the MCAT and then go through the application process, I know that being accepted into medical school is a major accomplishment. Being accepted at all five schools that he applied to is really amazing.

Roger
                          Last edited by Roger; 20 Oct 2009, 12:49 PM.

Comment

I just talked to Brian he passed the big anatomy test that he took last week. The passing grade was 65 and he got 72. I don't know what the mean was for the test. This is a big relief to have the anatomy test out of the way. At Hopkins no one fails but if you don't pass a test you have to do extra assignments. The problem with this is that the regular workload is so heavy you don't have time for extra work so you end up falling behind.

I leave for Baltimore late tomorrow afternoon. For the last few days I've been working on some simple devices that Brian needs for doing physical examinations. One device is a clamp and handle that can be attached to a tuning fork. The 1/4 inch aluminum handle on the clamp can be inserted into a cuff so that Brian can hold the tuning fork. The other device is a rubber replica of an index finger. It also has a 1/4 inch aluminum rod that can be insert into his cuff. The tuning fork and the index finger are used during an examination to test the elasticity of a patient's skin.

Roger

Comment

Roger, please pass my congratulations on to Brian. Hope you all enjoy your family time together.
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

I got back to Phoenix from Baltimore this morning at 11:00 am. I fixed several little items at the condo. The water leak was a crack in the plastic line from the valve to the refrigerator. I don't why the water didn't come into the condo. I replaced the line and we haven't heard anything more from the maintence people.

Brian was studying all weekend for a bio chem test this morning. It was a multiple choice test and it was graded immediately. He got an 84. The passing grade was 70. Tomorrow Brian and a classmate are giving a presentation on stem cells. Brian's classmate came over for dinner and then they worked on the presentation. Brian's stamina has really improved. On Saturday he studied all day and night until 4:00 am Sunday morning. Then he got up about noon on Sunday and studied until 2:00 am Monday morning. The bio chem test was at 8:00 am.

Brian is working very hard but he not doing enough exercise. We have an RT300 bike in the condo Brian has to take time to ride the bike and use the standing frame.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X