• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congratulations

Congratulations Brian and Roger.

whew. what a year.

It will be a very exciting summer!

Have fun, and work hard.
    Last edited by hlh; 12 May 2009, 11:20 PM. Reason: oops..... Brain does = Brian!

Comment

Excellent news
      Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Congratulations to Brian on this HUGE accomplishment! I hope he has a beneficial month at KKI before he begins med school and opens a new chapter in his life.
        Keep us updated as you find out more about housing in Baltimore, his progress at KKI and his new experiences at Hopkins.
        ~Mandy~
        SCI as a result of spinal surgery
        TiLite Aero Z!!!

Comment

Congrats to both of you! This is quite an accomplishment!

Look back over the length of this thread to appreciate how far you both have come in such a relatively short time. I am personally inspired by you both!

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse View Post

Congrats to both of you! This is quite an accomplishment!

Look back over the length of this thread to appreciate how far you both have come in such a relatively short time. I am personally inspired by you both!

(KLD)

Valentines Day, 2007. What an amazing journey you have taken. Personally, I think the journey, tips, learning curve and suggestions you have to offer others should be written up and published.

Congrats Brian, I hope we will now finally meet.

Comment

WOW !!! Fantastic news! I've been following this thread for some time. A real inspiration to me and numerous others! Thank you for sharing your story!

Comment

Great story! Keep us posted.

Comment

congrats, good work ! i like when a plan comes together
                  cauda equina

Comment

Nothing is easy or automatic. Brian has been sending emails to the Hopkins financial aid person. I don't think that the financial aid office at Hopkins is in anyway trying to penalize Brian, they don't really know how to handle this situation. They evaluate each students financial situation using the same criteria and believe that this is a fair evaluation. Here's what they recently told Brian.

"The initial award was generated through our automated system based on data submitted by the family and I did not review that information before sending the first response. I will determine what can be excluded for reevaluation of family contribution."

The problem occurred because Brian receives disability income from a long term disability insurance policy that his employer provided as a benefit to all of their employees. Because Brian receives this disability income, he was ruled ineligible for any Hopkins need based financial aid. Brian wrote the email show below to the financial aid officer.

"Thank you very much for reviewing my case. I appreciate the time and research you had to put into it. I am concerned, however, about the informal determination, and I will outline these concerns below.

I am sure you are familiar with Section 472 of the Higher Education Act, which discusses cost of attendance and revisions. The law allows for additional costs related to a student's disability, including the following: "special services, personal assistance, transportation, equipment, and supplies that are reasonably incurred and not provided for by other assisting agencies."

On your recent e-mail, you mentioned that the following costs would NOT be included in the revision:

1. Personal assistance
                    2. Transportation: modification due directly to my disability
                    3. Equipment needed as accommodation: standing wheelchair for the sole purpose of accessing anatomy and patient tables

These disability-related expenses are explicitly listed in federal law, quoted above, as inclusive to the cost of attendance. The intent of this law is to prevent socioeconomic discrimination among the disabled in education.

Outside of regulation, these expenses are absolutely part of the indirect costs of education. Had I not been disabled, I would not need to make these expenditures. It does not seem fair that able-bodied students have reasonable costs of living covered while I am left on my own for disability-related expenses. These expenses fall directly in line with indirect costs of education.

Not to mention, my disability income, which I will use to pay for the numerous disability costs, disqualifies me for some need-based scholarship as part of the award package. Again, it does not seem reasonable that you deem my disability-related expenses as my responsibility, but then also expect me to contribute my disability income towards education. In my opinion, it is unreasonable for it to go both ways.

I do not mean to undermine your review process, but as you can imagine, I have a strong opinion regarding the financial aid issue. As such, I would like to request a review of the informal determination that I received."

Brian's email in a non-threatening way puts the people in the financial aid office on notice that they must comply with the federal laws that exist to protect people with disabilities. If Brian's situation is resolved favorably it's only because of the men and women who worked hard to get the laws passed that guarantee that people with disabilities are treated fairly. It's apparently necessary to make the able bodied people aware of these federal laws.

Roger
                    Last edited by Roger; 15 May 2009, 8:48 PM.

Comment

frustrating...

I think your response to Hopkins is very well written.

Very powerful, actually and I am hopeful it will make an impact.

Clearly, their "automated system" is not suitable for assessing Brian's situation. And I would think that a University of their stature should be embarrassed to admit their inadequate and legally questionable financial aid approach.

I wonder if posting your experience in the "Work, School & Money" forum would yield any additional input that could be useful.

Comment

Five of Brian's college friends are here in Phoenix for the weekend. It's really unbelievable how his friends have supported him over the last 2 years. Three of the friends flew in from San Diego, one from San Francisco and one from Salt Lake.

On Thursday we made an offer on a condo in Baltimore, the listing Realtor told our Realtor that the seller would not accept any offer that was less than the full listing price. This doesn't leave any room for negotiations for this condo. We like this condo because it has a harbor view but it's a lot more than the nine other identical condos that have a courtyard view. We keep going back and forth trying to decide if a harbor view is worth that much more money. Our plan is to sell the condo in four year when Brian graduates from Hopkins. I'm thinking out loud here so if anyone has any good insights let me know.

Roger
                        Last edited by Roger; 16 May 2009, 8:16 PM.

Comment

I hope they have a great celebration.

Comment

Last weekend I researched the selling history of all of the condos at Lighthouse Point in Baltimore. I was able to find this information at the Maryland Assessment and Taxation website. This website listed the selling prices for all 84 condos in the Lighthouse Point development. I downloaded the sales information and studied the sales histories for the two bedroom condos.

I found that of the 35 harbor view condos 33 have sold since 2006. I then looked at the courtyard view condos. There are 23 courtyard view condos only 2 of these units have ever been sold. Based on this we decided that for resale in four years it would be better to buy the harbor view condo. We're making another offer today.

After we buy the condo we will need to modify the master bathroom and put in hardwood floors. To find a contractor to do this work Brian contacted Making Choices for Independent Living Inc. and got a list of home modification contractors. Yesterday I called six of the companies on the list and left messages asking them to return my call.

Brian is scheduled to start therapy at Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore on July 13. We have a lot of arrangements to make before then. Brian has a mover lined up and he's also contacted a company about transporting his Honda Element from Phoenix to Baltimore. Once we buy the condo then the accessibility modifications can start. My goal is to have the modifications completed before July 13.

Roger

Comment

Fantastic news! Aside from the future resale value, how wonderful that Brian will have a harbor view! Something to chill with a bit when he takes a break from the endless studying.

Comment

The condo purchase is getting close. We made an offer on Thursday for the harbor view condo, the seller countered on Friday. On Saturday we modified our offer and countered. Our offer was for the full listing price we're now negotiating what portion of the closing costs are paid by the seller.

Last week I talked to three Baltimore contractors. One of the contractors, Taylor Made, has recently modified another condo in the same building. The contractors told me that they could complete the modifications by July 4 if they can start June 10, the proposed closing date. As I mentioned previously Brian is scheduled to start out patient rehab at Kennedy Krieger on July 13.

Friday I received an email from the staffing office of the company where I work. They have an job opening for an engineer in Baltimore. The job is at an aerospace company 10 miles northeast of the condo we're trying to purchase. I'm going to summit my resume just to see what happens. It would be perfect if I could go there to work for a few months. They're looking from someone with 7+ years of experience and I have 40 years of experience. I called the personnel office and asked what the Baltimore job pays. The salary they proposed was what I was earning in 1980 so that could be a problem. I mentioned the job to my boss at work. It would be no problem for me to go to Baltimore for a few months and then return to my current job. I've been working for this man for about 25 years he first hired me in 1976. There's nothing definite about this but it's a possibility.

Roger
                                Last edited by Roger; 24 May 2009, 7:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X