No announcement yet.

Recent Accident to My Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Roger. Brian called me right after the seminar. He sounded very excited. This is going to be a process but you guys are up to the challenge. John will get you through it.

Funding is less of an issue than they'll make it. The lion's share of all extreme speeding and extreme DUI fines go into the head and spine fund and most of that goes to fund TBI's and SCI's in VR. Brian's needs are less impacted by the budget crunch than his counselor will let on.

Brian's going to make a great doctor.
    My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

Brian and my wife met with an AZ Vocational Rehab representative today. The outcome of the meeting was amazing. They told Brian that AZ Vocational Rehab would pay for his medical school expenses. I'm in shock.

We would not have known to ask for this if JenJen hadn't told Brian about the Client Assistance Seminar that was being conducted here in Phoenix on June 12. Thanks again Jennifer.

Brian will have to pay for his own car because AZ Voc Rehab will only pay for one goal. If his goal was to go back to work then AZ Voc Rehab would have paid for an accessible car but since Brian told them his goal was to become a doctor then they said that they would pay for medical school. This is amazing.

For now AZ Voc Rehab is going to close Brian's case, because they can only keep a case open for 120 day and Brian won't know if he's accepted into medical school for 8 months. When he's accepted then AZ Voc Rehab will open a new case. The next step is for Brian to get accepted into medical school.

Roger

Comment

Wow! Roger, that is wonderful, and amazing. I don't think a lot of states would pay for this, so let's all give a cheer for Az!! Too bad about the car, but we all know that is a relatively small expense compared to medical school. Congratulations.

Comment

Amazing news Roger. Brian I am thrilled for you, I have no doubt you will be accepted to multiple facilities.

Jen, thanks for passing on the resources, we can all learn from each other if we share info.

Every state has a CAP program and sad to say generally with very few employees. I urge others to look towards their state CAP progams as well.
          Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

This is wonderful! You both should be so proud. Keep us updated as he progresses toward this goal.

(KLD)
            The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Brian is working on the secondary applications for medical school. He submitted secondary applications today to George Washington and Johns Hopkins. I have to say that I have great respect for doctors now that I see what they had to go through just to get into medical school. The application process is grueling. In addition to all of the essay's that have to be written for each school the medical school entrance examine, MCAT, is unbelievable. There are four sections in the eight hour test: Physical Sciences, Biological Sciences, Verbal Reasoning and Writing Sample. The questions in each of these sections get very detailed.

Like I said I have a whole new respect for doctors. These are very smart people and it shocks me when I hear about some doctor who is guilty of unethical or criminal behavior. I can't understand how someone who has worked so hard would do something that could cause him to risk losing everything.

Roger

Comment

Hi Roger,

I have found your posts very interesting and informative, and although I have not had a chance to read through them completely I was very interested in the bathroom/shower chair on the goesanywhere.com website. My fiance was recently injured (T5 & T10 injury sites) in a motorcycle accident (he was hit by a suburban that failed to yield left) and we are planning to do home modifications, but until then I was hoping that this would be the answer to our bathroom problem. The bathroom door is only 23 inches wide. Did you end up buying this chair? If so, what are your thoughts about it.

We are currently at an inpatient facility on the east coast because we live in Manhattan and hope to be out of here and go to outpatient at Mt. Sinai...any thoughts about this place??

Thank you for sharing your son's journey with us.

Comment

SPP

I didn't end up buying the sliding shower chair on the goesanywhere.com website. Brian didn't want it. We purchased an Active Aid commode/shower bench which I move from the shower to the toilet as required.

The first time that Brian used the commode/shower bench in July 2007 was a total nightmare. It could not have been worse. Since that time he has gotten stronger and he is now able to transfer by himself to the commode/shower bench. I'm not pleased with our current bathroom arrangement because the bathroom is not large enough. We're making do. I have proposed several times to Brian and my wife that we get the bathroom and shower modified to make it more accessible but they don't want to because Brian wants to become independent and live on his own. My prayer every moment of the day is that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will develop a treatment so that our loved ones are cured.

You're right about the bathroom door there's no way that 23 inches is going to be large enough. I removed our bathroom door so that the opening is now 30 inches and that's barely wide enough.

With respect to your question about an inpatient facility I'm not even a little bit qualified to answer that question. I strongly suggest that you start a thread and let the knowledgeable people on Carecure guide you. That's what I have done with this thread. Brian had inpatient treatment at the Shepherd Center in Atlanta and outpatient treatment at Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore and The Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix.

Roger

Comment

Originally posted by Roger
                    Brian is working on the secondary applications for medical school. He submitted secondary applications today to George Washington and Johns Hopkins. I have to say that I have great respect for doctors now that I see what they had to go through just to get into medical school. The application process is grueling.
                    Roger
                    Roger, did Brian meet Dr. Lee while at KKI? He is a quad working to become a neurologist. He spent a year at KKI and was able to offer a lot of personal insight to patients. He moved on last July but I am not sure where to.
                    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Cheesecake

I just asked Brian if he ever met Dr. Lee, he said no. He recalled that they had mentioned that there had been a doctor in a wheelchair at KKI but he had just left. Brian was at KKI Sept 1 - Sept 27 of 2007. So it sounds like he was there just after Dr. Lee had left.

It would be great if Brian was accepted at Johns Hopkins last week he sent in the secondary application to Johns Hopkins. It's a long shot Johns Hopkins gets over 12,000 applications and accept 125 students each year.

Roger

Comment

Thursday Brian took the final exam for the on-line immunology class from UC Berkeley. The test was four hours, he took the test at a local community college. Brian said that the test was very detailed and difficult. The multiple choice questions were not just pick one answer instead you had to pick all the answers that applied. What that means is if you have 50 multiple choice questions each with four answers then you really have 200 questions that you're answering. I know that Brian is glad to be done with the immunology class so that he can concentrate on the medical school applications.
                        A couple of weeks ago Brian purchased a used quad rugby chair from a doctor in Tucson. He wants to start going to the quad rugby games and practices on a regular basis. The exercise makes him feel better and I'm hoping that it will help lessen the spasms that he experiences.
                        A couple of weeks ago we had the lift replaced on the Ford Van that we purchased last summer. The van is a VMI Tuscany accessible van, it came with an under vehicle lift which was really nice because it freed up space inside the van. Unfortunately the under vehicle lift was very susceptible to damage because of reduced ground clearance. A high speed bump could cause damage. VMI withdrew the under vehicle lift from the market because there were so many problems. When we needed our lift repaired because it wouldn't deploy properly, there were no parts available. I called VMI and complained and they agreed to replace the under vehicle lift with a reliable in vehicle lift. I liked the increased space inside the van from the under vehicle lift but if the lift wasn't reliable then that's no good. We're going to be selling the van soon and getting a modified Honda Element so that Brian can drive himself. I wouldn't have wanted to sell the van to someone with the under vehicle lift because of all of the problems. If someone is looking for a E250 Ford accessible van with an EZ-Lok mount let me know. There's ~15,000 miles on it.

Roger

Comment

Roger, post the van in our Equipment Exchange forum, and also try posting it on eBay.

Glad he felt he did well on the exam. Immunology is a very difficult subject.

(KLD)
                          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

Brian is working on the medical school applications. He has received a few secondary application requests. Friday, he was very happy because he got a request for a secondary application from UC San Francisco. He went to school in Berkeley and was living in San Francisco when he was injured. He would love to go back to San Francisco and go to school again. UCSF receives 6000 applications from which they select 1500 for secondary applications. They then select 130 students to be admitted. This is one of the most competitive schools to be admitted.

Brian also got a job editing website medical pages. The doctor at Barrows Neurological Institute who Brian ghostwrote a paper for was contacted by a company in New York looking for a freelance medical editor. The doctor recommended Brian and he got the job. Brian will read the web pages and add links to reference other pages. Once Brian gets going on this he will be able to use this on his resume. When he gets interviews for medical school this will be something that he can say that he's currently doing in the medical field. I think it will be interesting and it will cover a wide range of subjects.

Three of Brian's friends from California are coming this weekend to visit. It was Brian's birthday a few days ago so they're coming to Phoenix to celebrate. One of Brian's high school friends is having a party today at his house. No old people allowed at this party.

Roger

Comment

Roger,
                              That is great news about the secondary application request, and also Brian's medical editing job. No flies on him!! Wish him a happy birthday from us all.

Comment

Brian worked on secondary applications today. So far he has completed 13 secondary applications. He thinks that he has another month of before all of the secondary applications are completed. I think he told me that he applied to 24 schools.

The doctor from Barrows sent Brian a paper to proof read. He was concerned because he made a lot of changes. He hasn't heard back from the doctor yet.

Right now Brian is riding the FES RT300 bike. His spasms have been bad recently and he was not doing well on the bike. Tonight it's better. A couple of weeks ago when Brian was at the doctor he asked about getting a Baclofen pump. His doctor is not in favor of getting the Baclofen pump and suggested to Brian that he wait.

When I read the posts by 6 Shooter on the Cure Forum I feel like we haven't been doing enough. 6 Shooter describes all of the treatments that they have done MME therapy, multiple stem cell treatments, magnetic patches, magnetic mattress.

Last week Susan M posted that she had recently visited Dr. Davies lab in Colorado. I'm anxiously waiting for her to post a report on her visit. I pray everyday for everyone who has experienced this injury and I pray that Dr. Young and Dr. Davies will be given the guidance to cure this injury.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X