No announcement yet.

Recent Accident to My Son

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian is busy ghost writing a paper on immune reactions for a doctor at the Barrow Neurological Institute who is researching MS. It would be great if this led to a job at Barrow.

Yesterday, Brian and my wife went to the Arizona vocation rehabilitation office and met with one of the counselors. The meeting went better than I would have expected. The counselor liked Brian and acted like she would be a strong advocate for getting him an accessible vehicle. Getting a job that requires that he travel to the Barrow Neurological Institute would be good justification for why he needs an accessible vehicle.

They also discussed if vocational rehab would pay for Brian to go to medical school. The counselor said probably not. Brian's degree is in business and he could go back to work utilizing his business degree. The fact that he took pre-med classes wouldn't enter into the decision. Something to consider is that in college there is no pre-med degree. Students take pre-med classes but the degree that they receive at graduation doesn't say pre-med. I don't think that the discussion is completely over on this subject. Of course it's not really worth getting too excited about because Brian hasn't been accepted at any medical school yet.

Brian has been working on the personal statement that he must submit with the medical school application. I know that he would love to go to UC Irvine but it's a numbers game. The UC Irvine medical school accepts ~120 students each year. For those 120 positions they receive ~5000 applications. To apply to UC Irvine you must be a California resident. The University of Arizona medical school also accepts ~120 students each year. For those 120 positions they receive ~600 applications. To apply to the University of Arizona medical school you must be an Arizona resident.

Brian has looked at these numbers and decided that since he only has one chance he had better get Arizona residency and concentrate on the University of Arizona application.

Brian forwarded the emails that he received from the Wake Forest admissions coordinator to the doctor who told Brian he should apply to Wake Forest. As I mentioned earlier the doctor said after he read the emails that he was appalled and embarrassed by the Wake Forest admissions coordinators comments. The doctor has forwarded all the emails to the Dean at Wake Forest. He sent Brian an email today and said that he hasn't heard from the Dean yet but he expect a reply from the Dean. I think that the admissions coordinator is going to get her bell rung over how she handled the situation.

To recap:
    Brian asked for an extension on his MCAT scores, the admissions coordinator said no we don't give extensions. Brian then explained why he thought an extension was justified because of his accident. The admissions coordinator replied your a quad, we don't accept quads anyway so the MCAT extension question is moot. This admissions coordinator didn't attempt to explain or justify her decision not to grant an extension on the MCAT score instead she used Brian's disability to justify her original denial. I think that this is a pretty unprofessional way of handling the situation.

Roger

Comment

• Brian completed the paper for the doctor at the Barrow Neurological Institute. The doctor reviewed it and said that the paper was a great first paper and she thought that Brian could write papers as a profession. The article is for the MS Quarterly Magazine. There's some minor editing to do on the paper to remove some of the technical jargon. Hopefully this will be the beginning of ongoing work for Brian at the Barrow Neurological Institute. If he had regular work there he would be eligible to get a vehicle modified by Arizona Vocational Rehabilitation.

Today Brian went and played quad rugby at a local high school gym. One of the boys there has a modified Honda Element. Brian really likes the Element. If Brian was approved for a vehicle we would buy a new Element and AZ Voc Rehab would pay for the modifications. Brian has been taking drivers training but he done with that until he gets his own vehicle.

In a few weeks Brian will be submitting his medical school application. When he submits his application he has to include what they call a personal statement. He has spent a great deal of time writing the personal statement and has had it reviewed by at least six of his college friends. For some unknown reason he has not asked me to review it. I don't think that Brian believes that I write well at all. I'm and engineer and writing has never been one of my strengths. If it wasn't for the spell checker everyone would know that I'm virtually illiterate.

Roger

Comment

• Today Brian and I went to an event called A DAY ON THE LAKE. This was put on by St Joseph's Hospital in Phoenix. The event was at Bartlett Lake which is located just north of Scottsdale, Bartlett lake is part of the water reservoir system for Phoenix. I didn't realize how big of an event this was until we got there. They had about 150 volunteers participating. Brian got to water ski and ride on a jet ski.

The equipment and number of people involved was amazing. For one person water skiing, they had a pontoon boat, three ski boats and two jet skies. A total of 12 volunteers were there to assist the water skier. This was a very well run event.

A film crew from the Phoenix CBS news was there and interviewed Brian and one of the other participants. The film clip about the event was on the 10:00 pm CBS News tonight.

Roger

Comment

• Wow Brian has certainly been busy. Wake Forest University is way out of line. That admissions coordinator should lose her job for a comment like that IMHO.

Nothing like cruising the lake on skis/jetski...LOL

At least Brian is still normal. I think they think us parents are not capable of giving them the constructive criticism their friends can LOL. After all, what do we know? Right? LOL

Keep fighting and pushing. Brian has great support from you. My mom was my cheerleader/pusher/etc as well.
          T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

• I was just about to ask if you knew when the day on the lake event was going to take place. I live in Scottsdale and I haven't been to that and probably six years. does Joe Lemmon still work at Barrows as the recreational therapist? You would've run into her at the lake. I wish I had seen this from the beginning. I went to barrows for rehab but that was in 2000 and they worked my butt off. Whereabouts in Phoenix do you live? I am in North Scottsdale around Scottsdale and cactus roads. I was thinking of going back to physical therapy and going to St. Joe's outpatient rehab if I can get my insurance to approve it. It's been a couple of years. I know they have a wellness clinic over their once a month but I'm not sure of the date. it sounds like Brian is doing really well. Every time I try to go back to school I end up with a damn sore sabotaging me. I finally get to go back this fall I hope providing my surgery is all healed up. We should get together sometime.
            C-5/6, 7-9-2000
            Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Comment

• Rybread

Hello. I asked Brian this morning if he knew Joe Lemmon. He thought that he recognized the name. Brian has been going to the out patient rehab at St. Josephs. This is run by a lady named Sonja. I think she came to St. Josephs last year from the east coast.

We live in Mesa near Fiesta Mall. I'll send you a private message with Brian's cellphone number so that you can talk to him directly. I know that he would be happy to talk to you.

Roger

Comment

• Today Brian got an email from an associate dean at the Wake Forest Medical School. He said that they will accept Brian's Aug 2005 MCAT test scores for the Sept 2009 class. That doesn't mean that they will accept Brian with his current physical limitations but at least the MCAT issue is resolved. It's unbelievable that he has to go through this for every place that he wants to apply.

Roger
                Last edited by Roger; 06-05-2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

• Brian launched his medical school application yesterday. He submitted his application to 20 schools from Boston to San Francisco. The first round applications are submitted by a company using a standardized application form. The whole application process takes amost 10 months. Brian is applying to start medical school in Sept 2009.

I hope that someday I'll be able to report that Brian has recovered from his injury and the he has been accepted into medical school.

Roger
                  Last edited by Roger; 06-06-2008, 07:37 PM.

Comment

• This is great! Good luck to him (and congratulations to you both for getting so far in such little time)!

(KLD)
                    The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

• SCI-Nurse

I want to thank you and Cheesecake for all of the good advice that you've provided to my family during the last year.

Roger

Comment

• I have not been around in quite awhile and am catching up.
                        To recap:
                        Brian asked for an extension on his MCAT scores, the admissions coordinator said no we don't give extensions. Brian then explained why he thought an extension was justified because of his accident. The admissions coordinator replied your a quad, we don't accept quads anyway so the MCAT extension question is moot. This admissions coordinator didn't attempt to explain or justify her decision not to grant an extension on the MCAT score instead she used Brian's disability to justify her original denial. I think that this is a pretty unprofessional way of handling the situation.

Roger
                        Wake Forest has left themselves wide open for a discrimination lawsuit based on this comment.

I am glad to see Brian is doing well. I think there are ways to move around Voc Rehab and I would be happy to help. PM me and I can send you names of some great folks in AZ.

Best,
                        Cheesecake
                        Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

• I love reading your posts becasue they are filled with determination and a team approach that is so wonderful, and congratulate both you and Brian for all the work you are doing to insure his medical career! Fingers crossed here too!

Comment

• Roger,

I just attended the TBI conference put on by the Govenor's Council on Head and Spine Injuries. It was great BTW... I sat in on a presention put on by CAP called "Your Rights to VR Services" Sadly, CAP is only 2 ppl state-wide but they are very powerful in the VR process. I got to talk to both of them at length and learned a lot. I would be happy to help Brian in anyway I can. You have my number.

VR CAN pay for Brian to go to medical school. It's a process but one I know your family is up for.
                            My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

• Roger,

Sorry for the short notice but this is THE guy to talk to about VR funding med school for Brian. I don't think you'll be disappointed if you go. You'll get a lot of good info. You can also attend via teleconference if you choose.

Arizona Center for Disability Law - Client Assistance Program (CAP)
                              The Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program (CAP) will be providing a training on your rights as a client or applicant of a program funded under the Rehabilitation Act. Do you have questions or concerns about the Vocational Rehabilitation (VR) program? Or do you have questions or concerns regarding the Independent Living Centers and the services they provide for you? If so, come join us for an in-depth training on your rights as a Vocational Rehabilitation client or applicant. Issues to be discussed will include, services and benefits under the Rehabilitation Act, how to negotiate and resolve problems with VR and your appeal rights as a client of VR.
                              Guest Speaker: John Gutierrez - Coordinator of the Client Assistance Program (CAP)
                              Date/Time: Thursday, June 12, 2008 - 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
                              Location: 2345 E. Thomas Rd. Ste. 290, Phoenix, AZ
                              Teleconference: Interested individuals can attend this presentation in person or via teleconference call. In order to attend via conference call, please call David no later than Wednesday, June 11, 2008.
                              My blog: Living Life at Butt Level

Ignite Phoenix #9 - Wheelchairs and Wisdom: Living Life at Butt Level

"I will not die an unlived life. I will not live in fear of falling or catching fire. I choose to inhabit my days, to allow my living to open me, to make me less afraid, more accessible, to loosen my heart until it becomes a wing, a torch, a promise. I choose to risk my significance; to live so that which comes to me as seed goes to the next as blossom and that which comes to me as blossom, goes on as fruit."

Dawna Markova Author of Open Mind.

Comment

• Thanks JenJen

Brian and my wife went to the Client Assistance Program seminar today. The information provided was GREAT GREAT GREAT. This encouraging information couldn't have come at a better time. My wife called from the semiar and told me that the information being provided was so good that she was canceling her 1:00 hair appointment so that they could stay for the entire seminar. This is the first time that I've ever heard that something was more important than a hair appointment.

Thank you very much Jen.

Roger

Comment

Working...
                                X