X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It Takea a Community

Originally posted by Roger
    Cheesecake

Thanks for all of your help during the past year. I can't imagine facing this horrible situation without the help from you and all of the Carecure members.

A few days after Brian was injured I was put in contact with Dr. Patrica Morton. She directed me to the Carecure website. This is a resource that all families who have a loved one with a spinal cord injury must be told about.

Roger

It takes a community to get someone through SCI. CareCure servers that role well with many folks playing a role.

Glad you and Brian found your way here.
    Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Brian returned from Salt Lake City this evening. Everything went well. Brian stayed with two college friends in a condo at Park City. The condo is owned by the family of Brian's college friend and former roommate. One of Brian's other friends flew to Salt Lake City from San Francisco. This was a step toward independence for Brian.

Roger

Comment

How thrilling for him! What a great boost to his self confidence the trip must have been. I'm glad that he had a good time. It is so very good that he have good friends like these. Now he knows that the logistics of travel may be different than they once were, but nothing is insurmountable. He sounds like a great "kid" and you must be very proud of him. Heres wishing him continued sucess!
        Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Comment

Brian and my wife traveled to Tucson yesterday so that Brian could spend the day shadowing a physiatrist who lives in Tucson. Everything went well. The doctor from Tucson has been very helpful. He also has a SCI which he sustained in a skiing accident. By observing the doctor doing his normal work Brian is able to obtain the clinical experience that he needs for his medical school application.

Research experience remains the last item that Brian needs for his application. He has three possibilities for research experience, he is waiting to hear back. The waiting is the hard part. He doesn't want to call too often for fear of annoying the people that he's asking to help him.

Roger

Comment

Great to see he is moving forward. Impressive given that it is barely a year.
            Way yo go Brian!

Comment

WOW! I am so impressed at how far Brian has come in a year, and you should take great pride in the fact that your support has made this all possible, along with Brian's own determination. Great job everyone! Keep us posted on his research possibilities.

Comment

Eileen

Brian talked to a doctor yesterday from St. Josephs hospital in Phoenix. The doctor is doing research related to spinal cord injuries. Brian is going to meet with the doctor on May 6.

Two possibilities were discussed, Brian could be a participant in the study and Brian could also assist the doctor with the research. The subject of the research relates to the spinal cord immune reaction to steroids given immediately after a SCI. Brian was given this steroid immediately after his injury. What makes him capable of assisting the doctor is that he is currently taking an upper level biology course studying immunology. When the doctor explained the purpose of the research Brian already knew quite a bit about the biochemistry involved in the immune reaction. This is potentially a perfect match on three counts, it's here in Phoenix, it relates to SCI and it deals with immunology.

Roger

Comment

Roger, how fantastic that Biran has already taken a course in upper level biology, as it seems to be paving the way for him to participate in this study as much more than just a subject of the study! I worked in immunology for many years and it certainly is a rewarding (and comparatively well funded) field of study, to say nothing of absolutely fascinating. Wishing him luck when he meets with the doctor on May 6th!

Comment

Brian had a very good day today. He met with a doctor at Barrows Neurological Institute. This is where Brian was treated right after his injury. At today's meeting Brian discussed with the doctor the possibility of him working for the doctor doing research. The meeting went very well. The doctor used to do spinal cord research but is currently doing research on MS. Brian could assist her in three potential areas.

1. As a ghost writer for papers that she is working on but doesn't have the time to write herself.
                    2. Doing statistical analysis on the research data
                    3. Working somewhere in the lab.

Any one of these areas would be fantastic. Brian is an excellent writer, if you've read the Keirstead Lab Report that he wrote and posted on Carecure I think you'll agree. As good as he is at writing he's even better at math. In sixteen years of schooling he's never gotten anything less than an A in any math class. He completed all of his high school math including calculus when he was a junior in high school. He also took statistics when he a undergrad at UC Berkeley. Working in the lab would be the most challenging because of his injury.

Brian met with the doctor for two hours today. Everything is lining up the doctor is studying immune reactions in the body and Brian is taking an on-line immunology class from UC Berkeley. Because of the class he can talk with doctor intelligently about the research that she's doing.

I'm really happy and optimistic that Brian will be able to get research experience working for this doctor. Brian concluded after the meeting that she seems very nice.

Roger
                    Last edited by Roger; 6 May 2008, 11:51 PM.

Comment

Roger~
                      You have continued to help people by showing Brian's ongoing journey post rehab, thank you. It is so nice to hear that people get rehab but then also go back to active life in a brief time. Thanks for this ongoing gift.

I was a ghost writer for a neurologist that is extremly well published back in college. It is interesting to see from the inside how journal articles get published.

Comment

Well done Brian, all this in a year is amazing

Comment

Brian completed his first assignment for the Doctor at Barrow Neurological. The doctor was pleased with what Brian did and is going to send some research results and have Brian ghost write a paper.

Brian has exchanged some emails with a medical school admissions coordinator at Wake Forest. In the first email Brian asked if the Wake Forest Medical School would accept his Aug 2005 MCAT scores because he lost a year due to his injury. As expected this request for denied. Brian then sent another email and explained in greater detail why he was requesting the extension on his MCAT test scores. The reply Brian received was:

The Wake Forest Medical School does not accept quadriplegic students therefore a waiver on the MCAT test results is moot. We wish you well in your continuing pursuits.

Brian sent all of the emails to a quadriplegic doctor who graduated from Wake Forest, he had suggest to Brian that he apply to Wake Forest. The doctor said that he was appalled by the emails and was going to forward them to one of the Deans at Wake Forest. It's going to be very interesting to see how this plays out.

This is an example of how emails can capture all of the relevant details. You don't have to repeat what someone has told you and risk not being accurate. A third person can read all of the messages in a thread and see exactly what has been written. No misrepresentation of what has been said, it's all written down.

Roger

Comment

Roger: I have been reading your thread off and on since you started. I could relate to some of it because I too went through the process of buying the same FES bike your son has. I never wanted to reply to any of your comments because I am just a para- not a quad like your son- but I wanted to write this time. It is UNBELIEVABLE that wake Forest said that. That takes a lot of balls to tell your son that. I had my accident riding as a passenger in a car going from Maryland to California to open a restaurant in Santa Cruz with a buddy of mine. Everyone in the car ended up ok exept for me. Anyway- since I can not participate in the business yet, I thought this would be a good time to get a 'professional' culinary education and started to look at some of the major schools. All I get is the same answer your son just got. I don't fully understand their justification because I still can probably cook better than anyone enrolled, but also see their point because it would be almost impossible to manuver in a kitchen with a wheelchair. HOWEVER- there is no reason why your son would be denied medical school because of his condition. His arms and legs might not work, but as far as I know, his mind and brain work just as it did before this terrible thing happened! I am furious right now thinking about what they said and swear if it was me and I had the means, I would take them to town with as much litigation as it would take to have the author of that email at my front doorstep on his/her arms and knees begging for forgivness. Good luck with this new challenge and to your son- from what I read is a true soldier and hero in some regards. I could never have done as well as he is after such a tramatic travisty.

Comment

Nathanjmac

Brian had the same kind of accident. He was a passenger in a car driven by a friend. The driver walked away uninjured. I hope that this admissions coordinator eats some serious crow before this is over.

Good look with your pursuits.

Roger
                              Last edited by Roger; 15 May 2008, 7:41 PM.

Comment

Roger I just finished reading this whole thread.....like it took me 3 hours....lol

Boy you are a man on a mission. I just Hate Hate and HATE Ins. Co. I broke my leg last year and after 6 months of them not paying and being sent to collectors I just gave up and hired a lawyer. I have no-fault car Ins. here in Michigan. Any bill "incurred" after 30 days is overdue by law. But they get away with bloody murder by taking your money and buying the Governor and the Governor elects who....guess?....Judges...Instead of doing the right thing.
                                Sometimes you wonder why you even have Ins. if there not gona even try and do the right things. As I no you have found out by now.

Roger I salute you and your family and wish the best for your son in the future.

Art....looking forward to the updates too.
                                Art

Comment

Working...
                                X