New C5 injury

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kaution
    AS YOU KNOW I AM THE FATHER OF A C5 SCI SON. MY SON IS 23 YEARS OLD. BEFORE THIS INJURY HE WAS A HEALTHY INDIVIDUAL WITH NO MEDICAL PROBLEMS. I KNOW THAT IT IS PROBABLY TO EARLY TO TELL SINCE IT HAS ONLY BEEN 19 DAYS SINCE THE ACCIDENT. HE IS PRESENTLY IN REHAB. HE HAS NO FEELINGS FROM THE NIPPLES STRAIGHT ACROSS DOWN TO HIS FEET. HE IS ABLE TO HOIST HIS SHOULDERS BUT THATS ABOUT IT. DOCTORS HERE SAY IT IS HIGHLY UNLIKELY THAT HE WILL EVER WALK AGAIN. BUT I AM CURIOUS TO KNOW IS THERE SOME FORM OF HOPE TO THIS DILIMA?
    My parents were told the same thing but I have been walkiing with forearm crutches for the next 37 years. (C5-C6 Incomplete)

Good luck and keep the faith.
    Millard
    ''Life's tough... it's even tougher if you're stupid!'' -- John Wayne

Comment

I am a C4 complete. I barely made it off the ventilator. Pray that your son gets his arms and hands. When I was in rehab, I watched a C4 incomplete go from completely paralyzed to walking. Every case is different. Where is he in rehab?

Comment

serenity prayer

The best advice another sci can give to another is very simple

God grant me the serenity to accept the things i cannot change
        The courage to change the things I can.
        And the wisdom to know the difference

Comment

kaution, Very sorry to hear of your son's accident. My daughter was injured at age 14. She is a C/6 incomplete, post 2 years. If I can help in any way, I would be more than happy to do so. I am not a Dr., but have experienced a lot. Hang in there!

Comment

Any Updates?

Kaution~ It has been sveveral months since your son was first injured. Is he still in rehab? How is e doing these days? I am certain as you Go Forward in this process, new questions have arisen.
            Keep posting, there is plenty of support here.
            Every day I wake up is a good one

Comment

Prepare if possible to Eliminate PAIN

I would check every possible avenue to make certain you do what you can if anything.. to reduce the chances of pain setting in. I have been told what you do in the first couple of years even... can reduce the chances of pain. I am not sure... and would definitely look into it. Anything to avoid this adding to the condition, is worth it. Good Luck. Tough Road, but its a Road. Stay in the fight. Thanks, MIke
              Mike (Florida)

Cant we get 1 do over?

Comment

I received an incomplete injury to C2, C3, and C4 when i was 16. I never received a good prognosis, but worked as hard as i could and constantly prayed that my family would receive the same peace about my injury that i had. I was a full quad from my clavicles down, but have made almost a full recovery. I went on to receive a full college soccer scholarship after my injury and was blessed enough to make a full recovery. I would love to talk to your family or your son at any time. just remember that the doctors dont know as much as the one who created you. There is ALWAYS hope.

Comment

Working...
                X