lookin for advice!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To All,

Things do happen slowly, 2 years and I didn't have a whole lot of return. I got depressed last December because any thing I was told was that two years was going to be all I could expect. I will say the last year, three years December 6 has been the best. I grabbed a cane, and have almost gotten rid of the walker, except on strange ground. The shopping cart PT is the best, I think because you are doing something that makes you feel good again, I love it, although I do have to be careful not to spend too much money, some things are tight. I was also told not to expect much my levels of injury were pretty bad, SCI, TBI, and enough broken bones to fill up a page. Forget about what they say and try to do as much as you can, be careful, and don't forget the upper body. Too many times they would only work on my legs,they look like they came off a bull. When I started working my upper body, it all started to come into place. Now if I fall, yes I do it all the time, and if I am working off the ground having the upper body in tune really helps, You may not beleive, how much it needs it. Onward March!!!!!

Comment

Hey parakid, it is possible you will walk again. Nobody can prove that this statement is false. I was injured five months ago in a boat racing accident and was taking steps using leg braces today. This is not what most people consider 'walking' but it's a start. My doctors told me I would never walk again. To this day I still don't know what they were trying to do in making that statement but I hope you can get past the negativity too.
      Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
      2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
      Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Comment

hi , im 45 yr male c6-c7 , i hate being a quad and everyone with a injury would say this, but life isnt finished . if you dont recover dont give up . i have made so many gains in the last year . make the most of rehab , dont try , just do it ! if you fall thiers always someone who will help you get up . and get out in the world and meet people . your life can change lives !

Comment

Originally posted by parakid
          well thanks for replying. im now at Helan Hayes hospital for rebab in west haverstraw NY. the first day i got here the dr came in without touching me at all said " hi im sorry but u wont walk again". this really hurt me because im big into sports and i tihnk i can overcome this. i have so many people at my side. im not doing anything about the spacicity in the legs. i honelsty dont want them to stop moving. idk what it means but to me its something new i didnt have a few weeks ago.wel thanks for your reply and thanks for making this site.
          tyler
          hello there,
          Did Dr. Carrano say that? I was in HHH 7 yrs ago. I think she also told me that I wouldn't walk. I know one of the nurses told me that when I was in inpatient. HHH has a handcycling team that I run by Elaine Defrancesco. I am not too sure where you live, but Rockland county in general might have adaptive recreation. You can definitely overcome it. I was in the same place you were and i am still here. You really should do something about the spasticity b/c if you don't, you will have a harder time doing things b/c your legs are contracted.

Comment

Parakid....Everybody in the medical proffession has their opinion but that doesn't mean they're always right. Question everything, never give up, and take control of your life, dont let your injury control you. If it's any consolation there is always someone in a far worse position than you and some of those people are so damn positive it's frightening..
            HERE FOR A GOOD TIME , NOT A LONG TIME

Comment

hey everyone, just wanted to give you an update on how im doing. it has been 8 months now and i have gotten alot back. i have learned to control the spasims and use them to regain muscle movment in my legs. all the major muscle groups in my legs and back are now firing well. not voluntary yet but im able to peddel a bike, stand with my knees blocked, and took some assisted steps. i am going to Push To Walk in NJ 3 days a week and love every minute of it. the place is amazing. check it out at
              www.pushtowalknj.org

Comment

I am glad you are doing so well. I am also almost 8 months out (June 15) and have a T8 burst fracture. I have never been told by a doc. what exactly my injury entails. I am supposedly a "complete" injury. My neuro. said my cord was not "severed but had enough scar tissue that it might as well be." Got really depressed after that. He also told my family that he has never seen anyone "recover" from this injury. Can't wait to see him when I can stand. Going to PW in Portland soon. Good to see your results in NJ.

Kathy

Comment

Advice

I know you have alot you are dealing with right now, but I want to share a bit of advice that would have helped me avoid many health problems as an SCI. Discuss this with your doctors but I strongly suggest you take a good probiotic whenever antibiotics are prescribed. Antibiotics can and will destroy the good bacteria in your stomach causing many health problems.

Good Luck

Comment

Drs responses to SCI

They all the same thing (permanant paralysis) because of liability and credibility. They don't want to be sued or lose your business. Remember they have family to feed. It is strickly a business decision to them.

JJG
                    Jake's Pop

Comment

Working...
                    X