No announcement yet.

19 Year Old Nephew C6 C7 Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

swung by Jackson and saw Nick, accompanied by his beautiful sister, today. He's in very good spirits and for someone who was injured only a month and a half ago he's doing remarkably fine. I expected to find him lying in bed but instead found him wheeling around in a manual wheelchair. He's gotten great return and even told me he'd done a bed transfer on his own. Not bad for only a month post injury.

Anyways, I told him about this thread and forum. I'm sure we'll see him here in the near future looking for answers to some questions.

I mentioned you Steve and he's very interested in meeting you.
    C3-C4 complete quad
    since 1/2004
    "I don't fear death, only the method of dying"

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckd
      swung by Jackson and saw Nick, accompanied by his beautiful sister, today. He's in very good spirits and for someone who was injured only a month and a half ago he's doing remarkably fine. I expected to find him lying in bed but instead found him wheeling around in a manual wheelchair. He's gotten great return and even told me he'd done a bed transfer on his own. Not bad for only a month post injury.

Anyways, I told him about this thread and forum. I'm sure we'll see him here in the near future looking for answers to some questions.

That is awesome news! Thank you so much for going by. He does have an amazing spirit. We are very proud of him. And his sister is very pretty (you are right) and very devoted to her brother.

Last weekend, I made a chart for him of all of the chat room names (including you) who had said you wanted to talk to him, so when he gets home he will feel right at home in this chat room.

I'm so happy you went by!!!! Thank you again.

Lore

Comment

Originally posted by Wreckd

Great to hear he's doing good! I plan on stopping by on 27th or 28th to visit
        Steve
        C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Haven't heard anything here lately, is Nick still doing well? Is he back home yet? How is the remodeling going?

Comment

I stopped by his home a few weeks ago and visited him while he was on a day pass. I know he went home last week for good and that the renovations were almost done. He is doing really good and is a great kid I stayed for a few hours talking with him and his family. He has a great attitude and was looking forward to getting home he was even trying to figure out what car he wants to drive
            Steve
            C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Sorry it's been so long since I've updated. Things got very busy.

Nick and family have been adjusting to being on their own. The routine is exhausting. I hope it gets easier, and based on what I hear from my sister about the people they've met with similar injuries, it will get easier. Indpendence is the goal, which includes driving ... I'm sure.

They have done so much on the remodeling, most of it through the work of friends in the business -- working at night and on weekends. It looks great. They raised floors, added ramps, relocated and replaced doors, moved the laundry room and air conditioner, painted, added lighting, and, most importantly, added a bathroom for Nick. There's still more to do, but the progress has been amazing. People have been so generous.

Speaking of generous people, a family in southwest FL donated their used (but in tip top shape) handicap-equipped van. My husband and I picked it up on Superbowl Sunday and delivered it to Nick. There's a picture of the family and the van on Nick's Web site under "friends." (www.nickdepalo.com) This family did not know Nick before the accident. They met through mutual friends, and even though the husband (who was injured by a gunshot 18 years ago) would have every reason to be bitter, he was the most gentle and loving man. It was a humbling experience to meet him and his family.

Nick was able to go to a big motocross event in Atlanta a couple of weekends ago as the guest of Honda. He had a super time. In some ways, he's like a celebrity. He was interviewed by our local ABC news anchor for a very nice piece on Nick and Daryl Gwyn (C6/7 16 years post drag racer).

I hope to see Nick this weekend. I am hosting a going away party for my son who is moving to Boulder, CO, and I expect Nick and family to attend. I'm sure I'll add photos to the Web site.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Lore

Comment

Glad to hear all is going well still! I will be back in West Palm this weekend for rugby was going to email Nick to see if he wanted to attend. I have been enjoying those cookies thanks again for sending them but I have to workout harder now to shed some pounds!!
                Steve
                C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Glad you are enjoying the cookies. I know what you mean. Every year it's the same thing ... Girl Scout cookies come right after the holidays.

I'm pretty sure Nick is going to Daytona for a motocross event on Friday or Saturday. When is the rugby tournament?

Comment

Hi, AuntLore, It's really great that Nick is going to Daytona. We saw him at Atlanta SX, but didn't get a chance to talk with him. He looked great! I'm happy he is doing so well.

Comment

I'll be in Daytona as well heading over tommorrow. We are having some games sunday of lake worth road at the community college
                      Steve
                      C5-6 Feb 05

Comment

Originally posted by mom277
                        Hi, AuntLore, It's really great that Nick is going to Daytona. We saw him at Atlanta SX, but didn't get a chance to talk with him. He looked great! I'm happy he is doing so well.
                        Thank you. It really amazes me at how well he's doing. I think being able to go to mx events helps him. How did you know it was him in Atlanta?

Lore

Comment

Originally posted by MotoRacer598
                          I'll be in Daytona as well heading over tommorrow. We are having some games sunday of lake worth road at the community college
                          You should definitely give them a call to let them know about the rugby on Sunday. I'll mention it to them, too. I don't know if they'll want to drive up because they will have been away for several days, but you never know.

Enjoy Daytona!

Lore

Comment

Originally posted by AuntLore
                            Thank you. It really amazes me at how well he's doing. I think being able to go to mx events helps him. How did you know it was him in Atlanta?

Lore
                            How did I know it was him It's like you said, 'he's a celebrity!'

It's funny, too, the group of tweenage girls we had along can always pick out the really cute motocrossers.

Comment

Originally posted by mom277
                              How did I know it was him It's like you said, 'he's a celebrity!'

It's funny, too, the group of tweenage girls we had along can always pick out the really cute motocrossers.
                              You are too funny! People even ask for his autograph. I have a plaque with a photo of him on a bike at Seminole. I'm thinking I'll have him autograph it this weekend!

It's hard to explain, but with all the good experiences and people that Nick, and we all, have met or had since the injury, it is hard to imagine not being on this path with him. And the more time passes, I realize this truly is the path that we are on, we can't go back and we must make the best of it. Nick seems to have figured this out much sooner than me.

Lore

Comment

Working...
                              X