Have some sensations!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have some sensations!

Well, first off, last night I grabbed my leg and when I was stretching it by twisting the legs, I felt when I twisted the right one. I felt in in the hip and it hurt and pain is a GREAT feeling to have in my legs. Maybe an hour ago when I put my laptop on my legs I felt it but thought it was a fluke so I shook it and I feel it. How is it that this could happen all of a sudden? And when your nerves heal from a SCI injury, do they hurt when healing and regrowing?

Derek!?! No wonder you are staying up all night!! I am anxiously awaiting a response form someone who can answer your question!

Great news Derek!

Comment

Yep. They burn and tingle and freeze and feel like your foot's asleep really bad.
      Blog:
      Does This Wheelchair Make My Ass Look Fat?

Comment

Originally posted by betheny
        Yep. They burn and tingle and freeze and feel like your foot's asleep really bad.
        Huh? Mine feel nothing like that at alll. Mine actually feel like they do on my arms except they give me the chills. That's a way I know it's real. I also have a big ass burn on my right leg and every now and then I'll play/pick at it and it's actually kind of hurting. Still gives me a chill though. As for turning my leg and the pain in my hip, doesn't give me a chill but I know what pain feels like and it's definately pain.

Also, I can feel temperature changes. I have been able to tell those though. If I put an ice cube on my leg then my leg gets cooler in that spot. When I take a shower and I put the shower head on my leg and the water is warm, my leg gets warm in that spot. If I move the stream of warm/hot water down my leg then my leg gets warm following the water. Bitchin'

Comment

Derek that's awesome!!!
          www.weitemeyer.net

Comment

Man that's great.I hurt like a MF'er after i get new feeings.Hip,back,shoulders,arms hurt but feels great to have new sensations.
            Be yourself!!!
            http://bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/vandamnwcbb/
            BMF Sports & LiftWithoutLimits
            Sponsored Athlete
            http://www.bmfsports.com/ATHLETES.php
            www.genegvd.com

Comment

awesome, derek. Excited to hear about your sensory returns.
              Daniel

Comment

Yep. Pain in my awakening nerves.

Comment

Originally posted by WonderDerek
                  I also have a big ass burn on my right leg and every now and then I'll play/pick at it and it's actually kind of hurting.
                  Hi WonderDerek,

I don't know how you got the burn on your leg but don't pick at it. You may cause it to become infected. But the computer companies stopped using the term "laptop" and opted for the term "notebook" since so many people (even able-bodied) were burning their laps from the heat generated from the batteries, video cards and hard drives etc inside the mobile computers. I think there were a few lawsuits filed thus the quick name change.

So be careful using your laptop/notebook on your lap especially since you're sensory limited there. Maybe put a piece of wood on your lap to insulate against the heat.

And as I've suggested before (mother hen Bob) do your weightshifts even if you don't think you need to. If you think a burn on the top of your leg is a pain or inconvenience just imagine having two infected holes the size of your fist on/in your butt cheeks. And then extensive flap surgery and 6 months of healing and a lifetime of trouble associated with the skin grafts. You may (probably will) need to be sitting on those butt cheeks for the rest of your life.
                  "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Comment

Bob is right re laptop. I got a burn on my thigh last summer after sitting in bed for an hour with just a thin sheet between skin and PC and I have excellent sensation
                    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

derek, that's great that you're getting sensation back! for me, it does come back suddenly, not gradually. one day it's just there. do you get strange sensations such as:

when you touch or scratch a part of your body, and you can feel it at the same time somewhere else on your body?

i do, it's weird. i scratched my ear and felt it on my foot.

o! now i feel it on my thigh,lol

i'm a dork i know
                      Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
                      http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                      My regular blog:
                      http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

I remember when my sensation started coming back. I was in PT and they were measuring me for full leg braces. I had movement in my knee and hip joints but just had no feeling below my hips/waist. They stood me up to measure and I could feel pressure sensation. The day before they had done the same thing and I had felt nothing. It didnt hurt but it was a weird feeling. It was like it just happened overnight. Then a couple of weeks later the burning and pain started. My feet and lower legs below the knees feel like they are asleep. Tingling or Feeling really cold and the like. Its almost as though the sensation was traveling down as it was coming back. Everyday few days I could tell a difference. I never got movement in my feet and I cant shave my legs because it is excruciating. Even someone just touching the insides of my ankles sends me into fits. The backs of my legs are completely numb no pain or feeling at all. I have burned myself before too......standing to close to campfires and running the water too hot or sitting in a hot car seat. It happened several times during my first year.....I am alot more careful now. It is really weird that some areas hurt so bad and others their is no feeling. Then factor in having an itch on a place that is numb and you scratch but it keeps on feeling like it is itching...... Just have to divert my attention to something because some days it drives me insane. I think over the years i have developed an extremely high tolerance for pain due to all these weird areas on my lower body. I went to the doctor Friday because my ear had been stopped up and kind of popping for a month. No other problems ie stuffy nose or sinus problems. My doctor just kind of looked at me all puzzled. She said I had a major ear infection in both ears. She couldnt quite understand that I couldnt feel it. She kept asking me questions. This is not the first time I have had something like this happen.

It is wonderful you are getting sensation back!!!! I guess the best way to explain is when I was AB and my leg/foot went to sleep. You bang it on the floor and move it around and it tingled and burned until it went back to normal. That is what you feel like when your nerves are "awaking" from your injury. Mine just never quite woke up in spots LOL
                        Last edited by darkeyed_daisy; 29 May 2006, 1:53 PM.
                        T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by cali
                          derek, that's great that you're getting sensation back! for me, it does come back suddenly, not gradually. one day it's just there. do you get strange sensations such as:

when you touch or scratch a part of your body, and you can feel it at the same time somewhere else on your body?

i do, it's weird. i scratched my ear and felt it on my foot.

o! now i feel it on my thigh,lol

i'm a dork i know
                          I sometimes get those sensations. Scratch your face and feel it in your toe. I don't have the sensation I described in my thigh anymore. I get some sensations back on some days. They don't come gradually, they come all of a sudden and might be gone a few days later. I don't get it but if I get sensation in my leg for a day, a mintue, a second, I'm content.

Comment

I've just noticed today that I've regained alot of my sensations in my back. How is this possible??

Comment

Originally posted by WonderDerek
                              I sometimes get those sensations. Scratch your face and feel it in your toe. I don't have the sensation I described in my thigh anymore. I get some sensations back on some days. They don't come gradually, they come all of a sudden and might be gone a few days later. I don't get it but if I get sensation in my leg for a day, a mintue, a second, I'm content.
                              that's how my trace movements are. one day i can do it then i can't do it for days/weeks after.
                              Never take life seriously, nobody gets out alive anyway

Frank's blog:
                              http://www.franktalk-scurry.blogspot.com
                              My regular blog:
                              http://www.ithinkithinktoomuchblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X