Ernesto Fonseca update and photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ernesto Fonseca update and photos

Man, it is tough to see Ernie like this. The Denver facility is eerily familiar to Jackson Memorial where I did my intern rehab.

http://www.ernestofonseca.com/news/060511c.html
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003

i wonder if he will become the next superman for SCI research
    Don't cry because it is over, smile because it happened

Comment

Poor kid.... What was his level of injury do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by nicotico
        i wonder if he will become the next superman for SCI research

I doubt it. His familiar audience is about a few hundred thousand people tops. Chris Reeve's was millions world wide.

I agree, it is very difficult to see him like that. It brings back a flurry of unhappy memories...
        "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
          C 5-6
          "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

so who takes the cape and flys for us now?

Comment

Originally posted by ChopperChick
              I believe he is a C5/C6.

Comment

Originally posted by stlyin moe
                I agree, it is very difficult to see him like that. It brings back a flurry of unhappy memories...
                You are not kidding. It seems that I was there with my wife in every one of those pictures. Thank God I did not need a ventilator.

Comment

Originally posted by nicotico
                  so who takes the cape and flys for us now?
                  I think it's going to have to be a collective effort now...

Comment

but i think he is the most famous SCI i know of.

Comment

There are others more famous than he i.e. Wayne Rainey (Former Road Race Champ), David Bailey (Former national champ MX'r and tv personality on ESPN), Daryl Mitchell (Actor, most recent role in Ed), Mitch Payton (Pro Circuit Owner), John Hockenberry (Dateline reporter).

As stated by others, one of the keys to bringing SCI to the forefront of people's concerns is to make it more personal to them. It has to be something they fear personally in order to motivate them into action. Everyone has the potential to come down with cancer so people fear it and pump money into it. We need to get SCI in the same place in their minds...

Comment

mike utley

Comment

Originally posted by stlyin moe
                          There are others more famous than he i.e. Wayne Rainey (Former Road Race Champ), David Bailey (Former national champ MX'r and tv personality on ESPN), Daryl Mitchell (Actor, most recent role in Ed), Mitch Payton (Pro Circuit Owner), John Hockenberry (Dateline reporter).

As stated by others, one of the keys to bringing SCI to the forefront of people's concerns is to make it more personal to them. It has to be something they fear personally in order to motivate them into action. Everyone has the potential to come down with cancer so people fear it and pump money into it. We need to get SCI in the same place in their minds...
                          I read Wayne's book. Its pretty good. Every accident like this brings some spotlight to SCI, but Reeve's circumstances were unique. I remember Jimmy Button's accident, a racer pretty much in the same class as Fonseca, and it brought some attention but not much. I was racing at the time before my injury, and it just worried me for a few days and then it is on with your life. Same thing happened when Pit Beirer the great GP mxer got injured.

Comment

I read that he had fratured C-7.

http://www.racerxill.com/breakingnew...ca-update.aspx

Comment

Working...
                            X