• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Years after SCI

I heard it slows down, is this true?

what slows down?

Comment

cjm630, yes, recovery does slow down. Wise.

Comment

I am coming up on my two year mark, does this mean I shouldn't bother with therapy anymore?

Comment

You and your physician need to decide if you really need ongoing therapy, or if you can do an exercise program on your own. Return does not make a difference in this unless you are getting new return and want to learn better how to maximize it, which therapy may help with. You can also look into one of the post-acute rehab programs if you want a more aggressive program. You will need to plan on some form of exercise for the rest of your life.

(KLD)
          The SCI-Nurses are advanced practice nurses specializing in SCI/D care. They are available to answer questions, provide education, and make suggestions which you should always discuss with your physician/primary health care provider before implementing. Medical diagnosis is not provided, nor do the SCI-Nurses provide nursing or medical care through their responses on the CareCure forums.

Comment

SMN, don't give up. While things slowed down for me at two years, I'm now at four years post and still slowly (slowly!) getting stronger.

Comment

In quad rugby, we visit with the Physical Therapists on a regular basis. Their comments are that while your neurological recovery may not change after the two years, the improvement in your physical strength can improve function/capability for years, especially when you are young.

Comment

I am 26 mo. post and my meaningful return started at 13 mo. post. It was slow and steady till a few mo. ago where it ramped up a little. Again I'm C6-7 Incomplete.

Now, everyday I'm noticing return! I hope it continues. I just wanted to say that your body might not read the doctors schedule. Pat

Comment

boy pat....you just put a smile on my face...im almost 13 months...hopefully i continue to improve...

_________
                  don't ever become content with SCI...

Comment

Originally posted by patd
                    I am 26 mo. post and my meaningful return started at 13 mo. post. It was slow and steady till a few mo. ago where it ramped up a little. Again I'm C6-7 Incomplete.

Now, everyday I'm noticing return! I hope it continues. I just wanted to say that your body might not read the doctors schedule. Pat
                    Hi Pat

What kicked in at 13 months and what did you do to help it? have suddenly got a bit of hope with left tricep. I am 14 months post. Not looking for miracles.......just independence
                    C5/6 incomplete

"I assume you all have guns and crack....."

Comment

Return

Rehabrhino, I started feeling back feelings and muscles back then. In a couple weeks it will be 3 yrs for me and this past week I've been working through the largest chunk of return yet!!

What feels like 2" of spine in my lower back has come back. Stomach and side muscles and lower back muscles that allow me to sit up better are getting stronger every day. It feels good! My torso spacticity changes everyday.

I would like to think that the excercise I do is helping this happen. I swim, walk on an elliptical trainer, ride a handbike, ski, pedal a stationary bike or something everyday. I call it activity-based therapy or living! I hope it continues!

BTW I'm weaning slowly off baclofen. Pat

Comment

2 years to the day my bladder function returned. Maybe 2 is the lucky anniversary.
                        Don't think of yourself as an ugly person, just a beautiful monkey.
                        Always remember: if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.

Comment

It's been 21 months for me, and I'm old. I'm just now getting sensation back and feeling my stomach and side muscles again. I'm doing 'semi' leg lifts to get my flat stomach back. I may always have that "pooch" on the left side where my colon likes to hang out,,,but by golly I'm gonna' give it a run for it's money.

My gait is improving with that "Tony's gazelle" equipment and I'm getting some improvement on the heel to toe support as well. The ball of my foot will hold me now if I try to lift my toes. It's still not a perfect walk by any standard, but even the painful heels are getting less and less. Don't give up on your exercises. I'm always trying new ones so do any and everything you possibly can and stay with the routine.
                          Your life is what you make it, and only you have that choice!

Comment

I take part in a research fitness group and there are people who are several years post, one of them 9 years post who are still getting return!
                            WORK OUT, WORK OUT, WORK OUT!
                            Sitting on your butt will help your body atrophy that much quicker, enervating your body may help retrain neural pathways. In my oppinion when it comes to PT and exercise, THERE IS NO FINISH LINE!
                            Screw the two year mark, its a historical statistic, one that we SCI's can change

THERE IS NO FINISH LINE.
                            "Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts."
                            Winston Churchill

Comment

KVP612, I second that! I'm 9 days away from 3 yrs and I woke up today feeling hip muscles that just spasmed yesterday! It's a wild yet comforting feeling. I'm off to the pool before work to test my new muscles! Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X